Should we create a KerbalGeoFiction site?

MedwedianPresident

There is an interesting website called OpenGeoFiction where contributors can create fictional countries within a world that uses the OpenStreetMap framework. This results in a giant map with lots of lore and documentation.

I wonder if something like this could be done for Kerbin. The main problems would be:

a.) setting up the respective OSM server,

b.) importing at least the major coastlines of Kerbin into the map and

c.) determining to which extent terrain can be fictionalized.

If done correctly, a successful Kerbal Geofiction project would open up a whole new dimension for the forum community to cooperate.

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, kerbalstar said:

Looking at the OGF website, this could be interesting. How would one do it?

1. Create a OSM tile server

2. Extract a basic heightmap (e.g. just the coastlines) - this should be doable. Import it.

3. Add the most important features manually.

4. Begin fictionalizing and detailing the terrain (e.g. adding countries, cities, fields, space centers, roads, railways, etc...).

2 hours ago, MedwedianPresident said:

1. Create a OSM tile server

2. Extract a basic heightmap (e.g. just the coastlines) - this should be doable. Import it.

3. Add the most important features manually.

4. Begin fictionalizing and detailing the terrain (e.g. adding countries, cities, fields, space centers, roads, railways, etc...).

Okay. If some one else would agree to help, that would be great!

1 hour ago, MedwedianPresident said:

I’m sure that they will not prohibit this as long as the site stays non-commercial and we will only use the coastlines of Kerbin.

Then why not ask?  If you don't, you are only asking for trouble down the road, if you ask, then you know up front.

There have been lots of cases where fan sites have been shut down by the copyright owners for various reasons.  Best to get it cleared up front first.

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Then why not ask?  If you don't, you are only asking for trouble down the road, if you ask, then you know up front.

There have been lots of cases where fan sites have been shut down by the copyright owners for various reasons.  Best to get it cleared up front first.

I am not saying "let's not ask", just saying "as  long as we ask for permission, they will surely say yes".

14 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I think it's an interesting idea, but be aware of Guideline 2.2j - No roleplaying on THIS forum
https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/guidelines/

Rationale: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/132441-whats-the-story-behind-the-roleplay-guideline/

Note: I am NOT a moderator, just seeking to inform.

The RP rule can be avoided by transferring the forum to the website and/or working on a discord server. Just the most important results and achievements will be presented here.

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

This work of fans has been moved to Fan Works. 

And yes, any actual roleplaying would need to take place away from our forum. 

As for permission to use things Squad made, @Darth Badie would be the one to ask. 

Thank you, I have composed and sent a message to him.

Edited by MedwedianPresident

• 4 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.