KSP Weekly: The Moon Race

SQUAD

2 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean finish development?  Like what 99% of other games do?  ...and Squad saying they have more stuff they want to do doesn't really get me excited like it once did.  That ship sailed long ago.

So what if that takes 2 or more years? No mods?

59 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

They will have to release updates with bugfixes to fix it anyway and it will take some time to finish it this way. :) I suggest community to choose their "finished" version without developers having to decide which version it is, basically. Only thing we need from developers in this case is to keep such version available as "older release" on Steam :) Only problem is competition between Squad and new amazing stuff they will add and ugly old "stable" version missing this stuff and I don't think we will be able to resist...

Problem is, these updates aren't just bug fixes.  They always seem to bring new bugs or regressions with their new features.  I get it.  I'm the minority.  I just wish they'd do a few bug fix patches, fix the regressions, and be done with it.

Just now, Redneck said:

So what if that takes 2 or more years? No mods?

Then management isn't doing it's job.  KSP version 0.7.3 was released on June 24th, 2011.  If a team can't finish a game in over 7 years, then there's a problem.

9 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

The SRBs shroud each other when stacked? Does this mean they act as fuel segments for custom length? Or this just for decoupling?

9 hours ago, bonyetty said:

Quite curious about this too! 

8 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

That’d be the closest thing in stock we’d get to procedural SRBs.

I'd imagine they're just decoupler shrouds.

And on another note, maybe I'm in some weird niche audience of kerbal, but I've had a career save running since May 2016 with no issues due to updates? I feel like "the updates are gonna break all our ships and stuff" is a bit of overblown doomsaying?
I think i had ONE upgrade related problem in all of my save, and I do crazy stuff with stock props, orbital shipyards, and all sorts of things. And that was like... a strut came disconnected on my orbital shipyard and made it wobbly. 

Based on what we've seen with 1.4, the 3-kerbal pod, decouplers, and the 2.5m tanks, the current approach to the revamp is to safely deprecate old parts, meaning all my upper stages with their oil drum tanks are still cruising along with no fuss, and from that I'd infer that anything with the old versions of these probe cores and 1.25m tanks should be fine as well.

You can still even find all those old versions of the parts in the advanced build menu, for now.

Edited by Lupi

2 minutes ago, Lupi said:

And on another note, maybe I'm in some weird niche audience of kerbal, but I've had a career save running since May 2016 with no issues due to updates? I feel like "the updates are gonna break all our ships and stuff" is a bit of overblown doomsaying?

It is mostly related to KSP Update -> Mods update -> Modded career goes to recycle bin. Stock stuff mostly works ok and Squad usually keeps old parts (or their versions) in place for backward compatibility. But I never saw somebody asking modders to stop updating their mods, like FreeThinker's KSPI-E which is updating quite often, sometimes changing tech tree and balance monthly, if not more frequent.  :)

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Then management isn't doing it's job.  KSP version 0.7.3 was released on June 24th, 2011.  If a team can't finish a game in over 7 years, then there's a problem.

I have to disagree with you there. Where you see a problem i see a game that continues to evolve. Thats why i bought the game. Best $15 i have EVER spent on a game 7 years ago

EDIT: I dont think, well i know, There has never been a game i own that i still play after 7 years. Arma 3 comes close but even they are ending development. Does anybody have a game they still play on a regular basis after 7 years?

Edited by Redneck

2 minutes ago, Redneck said:

I have to disagree with you there. Where you see a problem i see a game that continues to evolve. Thats why i bought the game. Best $15 i have EVER spent on a game 7 years ago

Same here. To me, KSP is a game of such a massive scope that there are literally endless possibilities for continued development. I get it that most games don't get developed that way, but I know one other game that does: Minecraft - it's still a developing product and it's older than KSP, still selling well and bringing income to the developers. That's not to minimise @klgraham1013's opinion, of course. I can see what he means. I just like the living development and community. 

3 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Same here. To me, KSP is a game of such a massive scope that there are literally endless possibilities for continued development. I get it that most games don't get developed that way, but I know one other game that does: Minecraft - it's still a developing product and it's older than KSP, still selling well and bringing income to the developers. That's not to minimise @klgraham1013's opinion, of course. I can see what he means. I just like the living development and community. 

it was just a couple of months ago and i was posting about the game dying....Squad totally proved me wrong and I am glad they did! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

I mean finish development?  Like what 99% of other games do?  ...and Squad saying they have more stuff they want to do doesn't really get me excited like it once did.  That ship sailed long ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9i9ovv/i_am_felipe_harvester_falanghe_creator_of_kerbal/e6hyiak
I'd like to point at this Question(and Harvesters answer) on Harvesters "recent"(being 2 weeks ago) reddit AMA (ask me anything).
Harvester stating that he indeed is quite happy with how the game turned out, in the way he imaged it to be.

20 minutes ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

It is mostly related to KSP Update -> Mods update -> Modded career goes to recycle bin. Stock stuff mostly works ok and Squad usually keeps old parts (or their versions) in place for backward compatibility. But I never saw somebody asking modders to stop updating their mods, like FreeThinker's KSPI-E which is updating quite often, sometimes changing tech tree and balance monthly, if not more frequent.  :)

Or Roverdude's USI/MKS stuff, which used to get rebalanced a lot and kept getting more difficult and adding more things you had to juggle.

Dunno if that's still the case, though. 

So idk. After Home Grown Rocket Parts stopped updating i sorta broke away from using part mods for a while. Not because they're bad or anything, but i guess I find it fun to try to engineer my own solutions in stock. Means I guess I have it easy when the game updates; i can live without KER, visual mods, and so on for a while. I hear HGR is getting maintained now, and that the owner flipped the license to something more open. That's pretty neat tbh

Edited by Lupi

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

our beloved community

I /we love u too:wub:

all parts looks great, but the helmet inlay/outside shader/texture/glass and the shoe sole are Amazing ,also the jetpack display looks very cool,huge THANKS

21 hours ago, SQUAD said:

Bug fixing was included in this week’s agenda and among this final sweep, we implemented an auto spring/damper to the wheel suspension system in order to diminish involuntary bouncing. We also adjusted the wheel friction and suspension parameters to tackle this problem. We expect that this will improve the behavior of the wheels and legs in the game

YEEESSSS; CANT WAIT TO SEE THE BEHAVIOR

Squad squashed this week, a few more bugs 

like i smashed wheels, or dozen cups .which realy sucks-idont smsh cups

named now space tape, a usefull friend

lets hope the wheels ,won't break again

i hope this bug, is forever gone

lets wheels roll forward on an on

squad drop the bomb, so loud and clear

kerbal get updates, four times a year

hit modders hard, like a rocketspear

users are freezed, and get some fear

`will all my mods, now disappears´

the good thing is, that Squad have ears and eyes i know just for the ryhme, thx for taking/realize the feedback @SQUAD

one xbox users, and that was sad

had waited for reply, now dead;.; nobody died,(for sure anybody died anywhere but none whos play ksp) just kerbals make ther magic terrain disappering in smoke trick

then badie come, with her lasersword

break the silence, and say a word 

his last words were, wish u good start

i hope that the rocket, dont break apart

KSP Loading… time from now increase

lets fly to mün` and look if its cheese?´

in memory of Devnote Tuesday/KSP Weekly

See u in KSP Loading,best wishes

BK

3 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9i9ovv/i_am_felipe_harvester_falanghe_creator_of_kerbal/e6hyiak
I'd like to point at this Question(and Harvesters answer) on Harvesters "recent"(being 2 weeks ago) reddit AMA (ask me anything).
Harvester stating that he indeed is quite happy with how the game turned out, in the way he imaged it to be.

Thanks for that link ... he answers a lot of KSP questions. Reading it is like catching up with a friend you haven't seen for years.

On 10/5/2018 at 2:35 PM, SQUAD said:

tumblr_inline_pg51bahROh1rr2wit_540.jpg

Pretty good, albeit id actually prefer the greyish helmet (never was a fan of those red stripes, but whatever, i can always use texture replacer or some other mod to change it).  Still, i really like the detail at the back which has good use of specular and adds detail that breaks the monotomy.

tumblr_inline_pg51c1t3N01rr2wit_540.jpg

VERY GOOD compared to the previous iteration.  Not only do these have what i believe are good speculars, but they have a good variety of texture choices to make them look good with a combo of almost any other part.  I especially like that you chose to include a white option which will fit perfectly with SSTO starfighters and capital ships since those almost all use nukes and thus need the LF tanks from porkjet but often have VTOL or other uses for LFO which makes integration look seamless and not stand out like a sore thumb.

tumblr_inline_pg51eil4MF1rr2wit_540.jpg

Very good, and i especially like how you included 2 stripe textures and also listened to the feedback regarding copy/paste of the stripe texture which really made it look like it was lazily copied.  Other then that, good job with everything else, textures look good, and hopefully will integrate well with teh other parts (kinda wish they was a greyish colored one so you could integrate with the grey/orange scheme with the 1.2m LFO tanks above, but good nevertheless).

tumblr_inline_pg51bpBiW81rr2wit_540.jpg

While its a bit of a departure from the old "junk made of trashy garbage" style which i still like to use on pirate and low tech asthetic designs, i like these new cores and might start using them on things besides propeller bearings (which is really the ONLY place i use the sputnik core now).  I also like how it seems to fit well beside the other new "shiny" styled probe cores like the octos and the rover body foil options.

implemented an auto spring/damper to the wheel suspension system in order to diminish involuntary bouncing

@SQUADVERY VERY VERY happy to hear some work is being put into the really wonky wheel/leg physics.  And while i seriously doubt itll happen, i also really really hope that you guys would consider unlocking the forced autostrut on wheels so i can actually make real vehicle suspensions like back in the old days (using the older wheel physics before that upgrade sometime around 1.1 or so). 

This is probably the best example of what im talking about, how you could use those small cube struts or engines or other structural parts to create a bouncy suspension that was much less rigid then what we have now and actually let the wheels respond to the terrain alot better.  I know it might be a hair buggy (and from what ive heard before it was intentionally autostrutted to prevent vehicles from bouncing like mad), but please consider allowing us to unlock them (make it default to autostrut heaviest, but let those of us that actually want to mess around disable autostrut and watch our vehicles bounce around and explode in a fiery mess or perhaps work correctly if i make suspension right).

I really don't understand how on-going development could be a bad thing. How many other games that came out 6 years ago are you folks still playing? It's the continuing development that gives you new things to do or new ways to do familiar things. Without it, everybody would have moved on by now. 

12 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

I really don't understand how on-going development could be a bad thing. How many other games that came out 6 years ago are you folks still playing? It's the continuing development that gives you new things to do or new ways to do familiar things. Without it, everybody would have moved on by now. 

yeah that makes no sense to me either

This used to work.   It's been broken for 6 updates.

Spoiler

1.4  released and they forgot to make sure their new pod had it's IVA.  I could list everything else they had to fix over 5 hotfixs, but you were all here.  If you don't get why someone would be wary of the quality of Squad's updates, then I don't know what to tell you.  You wouldn't be convinced no matter what I'd say.

I didnt quote all the direct posts above as that would probs make this a bit too linky...

On the release stuff, for myself the best I can hope for is that you all see improvements as we go in this process - its obviously not something we started this week, but the first release you will see from it

Even outside of the number of releases question we've been very aware and careful of API and part changes between releases for a while now to try and not introduce issues that cause pain/work. If you look at 1.4.x there were 6 releases and only one needed mod recompiles in most cases - that was primarily due to the engine version change not API changes. I obviously cant speak to private information, but things like discussions around the best way to implement things always includes whats the impact on existing games, mods etc as part of the decision making process - same as severity and impact are part of bug discussions. 

Having less frequent releases (which is what this plan gives) means more time for modders, testers, artists, devs... everyone to do any work they need between releases 

Id be dumb to say that this new process will make things perfect, and I do know theres a lot of history in this game, its releases and mod impact. There is always a risk with any update, but I like to think that with the new processes, the frequnceny and the sharing of our plans its giving more to the community.

@TriggerAuI have a question. I and alot of others know and have heard from mod makers about how hacky the KSP code is in that when you introduce something you make break 10 other things. How thoroughly will you guys be testing before releasing updates? I am asking this because some of us,myself included, have seen in the past when squad releases updates that there are obvious bugs that anybody that plays the game will notice immediately when they start playing the game. I am not talking about rare bugs but bugs that are so obvious it makes a player wonder "How could squad miss this?" Will the dev team do anything different this go round to keep this from happening? 

Edited by Redneck

7 hours ago, panzer1b said:

... i also really really hope that you guys would consider unlocking the forced autostrut on wheels... 

Oh that would be wonderful! It broke my heart when I found out that autostrut on wheels made my custom-suspension ground craft useless :(

Spoiler

ufoYTbbi_400x400.jpg

Edited by Deddly

EditThis is in response to Redneck's post. Deddly ninja'd me.

That is solely down to how through and fastidious the QA team is with their testing of the new patches. New QA roles were being advertised recently so I would expect that SQUAD have been trying to expand and improve the QA process.

Edited by Poodmund

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

I really don't understand how on-going development could be a bad thing.

On-going development is a bad thing when it is just done for the sake of doing on-going development. And at the moment, it does not look like SQUAD has any larger objective they try to reach in incremental steps, it looks more like they think "Hmm, we need a new update to get KSP back into the news feeds. Let's look what we can cobble together".

1 hour ago, cfds said:

And at the moment, it does not look like SQUAD has any larger objective they try to reach in incremental steps

Among various bug fixes (which many players appreciate, even as some may wish Squad would halt all development because new things can bring new bugs) we're getting a parts overhaul. It's a larger objective, that probably won't be completed in v1.5 So ... incremental steps towards the goal of bringing all the parts up to a similar standard, which was first announced Aug 10 and every weekly update since then :) 

Edited by basic.syntax

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.