[1.4*] Fintech Industries Rocket and Aircraft Fins (1.1, New Wing Textures)

vossiewulf

67f2GrR.png

Long a standard in commercial and military launchers as well as aircraft design, Fintech Industries is also well-known in the rocket-rodding industry, where many enthusiasts wouldn't think of launching from their local rocket pad without Fintech carbon-carbon low-drag fins!  At Fintech industries, we constantly strive for both maximum performance and elegant design in all of our products. Order your copy of the Fintech Rocket-Rodders Catalog TODAY!

This is a simple and straightforward parts mod that includes 17 new fin designs for rockets and aircraft, created simply because I've never been happy with the selection available even in heavily-modded installs. Hopefully this mod will fill in those gaps, and give both rocket and aircraft designers many new options for looks. Tweakscale is implemented for maximum flexibility, and 14 of the 17 fins have 9 different color schemes each, the remaining 3 having four color schemes each. The relative sizes of the fins have also been carefully included in the control surface configs, so what you see is what you get in terms of aerodynamic performance and control authority.

This mod was also intended from the start to use Textures Unlimited. It's not required, but the fins will not look nearly as good without it.

QQUUJAX.png

Complete list of available fins:

Spoiler

SKGBJWl.png

Lincense:

CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Special Thanks:

@Mecripp - for the starting help

@Shadowmage - for fixing almost everything

Version 1.1 Released!

NOTE: Uninstall the 1.0 version of Fintech Industries before installing v1.1.

Changelog:

1. Fixed CS10 Fin maps that were all black.
2. Converted all textures to .dds format for faster loading.
3. Added three wing-like textures for 7 fins that could easily be used as aircraft wings, per requests.

New wing-like textures:

Spoiler

fPGsv77.png

DOWNLOAD FROM SPACEDOCK

KSP MODS REVIEW!

Edited by vossiewulf

Sorry folks this is a first time for me. Let me check on the download link. I did hit Publish on the mod on Spacedock.

Ok, I'm confused as I was just able to download it no problem from Spacedock? What is happening when you folks try it?

4 minutes ago, Noname115 said:

So, we working on fixing the download link?

What happens when you try it?

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

Sorry folks this is a first time for me. Let me check on the download link. I did hit Publish on the mod on Spacedock.

Ok, I'm confused as I was just able to download it no problem from Spacedock? What is happening when you folks try it?

What happens when you try it?

Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

4 hours ago, ToastyOats said:

Some of these look like they would make beautiful wings.

I tried to keep wings in mind also, for example the CS40 is pretty close to the F-15 wing while still looking good as a rocket or tailfin.

Edited by vossiewulf

Just now, Gordon Dry said:

@vossiewulf Nice to see this.

As long as this is brand new, could I annoy you with a request of doing this?

https://github.com/ferram4/Ferram-Aerospace-Research/wiki/Deriving-FAR-values-for-a-wing-using-Blender-2.7

So the necessary patches are already done when FAR is added to an install with this pack.

I'll look at it, I would like it to play nice with FAR for those that use it. Only thing is I've never used Blender, I use 3DS MAX.

Ah, I see another thing, you should use DDS textures. Just my two cents.

->

According to KSP developer Mu:

• RGB Diffuse textures need to be DXT1, RGBA Diffuse with Alpha textures need to be DXT5 and normal maps need to be DXTnm
  • When converting, the -flip command may be required, as DDS uses a different coordinate system to PNG/TGA (not sure if KSP 1.0 already automatically flips DDS textures to compensate, though)

Beautiful fins! Thanks for sharing these.

I did notice a bug - the CS10 fin doesn't switch textures - in the TU cfg file it's named "FT_Fin_11_Fin11_AT_XX" and in the Map directory the textures are named "FT_Fin_1A_DefaultMaterial_AT_XX". All the other fins work.

Again - thanks!

These look amazing.  I was excited yesterday when I saw they were available, I got them downloaded, installed in my game this morning - then totally forgot I had them installed after waiting for the game to load and didn't actually check them out.   So I'll have to wait till tomorrow to actually try them out in game.

9 hours ago, wasml said:

Beautiful fins! Thanks for sharing these.

I did notice a bug - the CS10 fin doesn't switch textures - in the TU cfg file it's named "FT_Fin_11_Fin11_AT_XX" and in the Map directory the textures are named "FT_Fin_1A_DefaultMaterial_AT_XX". All the other fins work.

Again - thanks!

Oops, those would be the maps for the S2000 somehow copied into the CS10 folder. Thanks, I will fix that.

Edited by vossiewulf

Update, I haven't yet fixed the CS10 as I'm trying to convert all the textures to DDS but it's fighting me. I've enlisted @Shadowmage again to look into it, so far it's fighting him too :) As soon as it's resolved there will be a new version with all DDS textures and the fixed CS10.

Further, since I've had several requests for wing-like textures for fins suitable for use as wings, 7 of the fins will have three new textures each for our aeronautical engineers :)

fPGsv77.png

Edited by vossiewulf

54 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Update, I haven't yet fixed the CS10 as I'm trying to convert all the textures to DDS but it's fighting me. I've enlisted @Shadowmage again to look into it, so far it's fighting him too :) As soon as it's resolved there will be a new version with all DDS textures and the fixed CS10.

Further, since I've had several requests for wing-like textures for fins suitable for use as wings, 7 of the fins will have three new textures each for our aeronautical engineers :)

Just a quick look at the cfg's  the cs10 names are wrong will run a test has soon has I get them all renamed and let you know

1 minute ago, Mecripp said:

Just a quick look at the cfg's  the cs10 names are wrong will run a test has soon has I get them all renamed and let you know

Thanks Mecripp but don't do that, I already know what the problem is and have fixed it. The issue now is converting them all to DDS, I keep getting odd results and Shadowmage is getting the same odd results, we're trying to figure out what that problem is.

3 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Thanks Mecripp but don't do that, I already know what the problem is and have fixed it. The issue now is converting them all to DDS, I keep getting odd results and Shadowmage is getting the same odd results, we're trying to figure out what that problem is.

To late fixed it on my end anyway and did change the CS10 to dds but I must have boo boo somewhere

54 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

so far it's fighting him too

Not really.... as soon as I got good input source textures, the outputs worked fine :)

6 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

and Shadowmage is getting the same odd results

No, I've gotten only correct results so far, when using correct inputs....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.