Rigid Attachment Question

Is there a way to change a setting/options so that rigid attachment in the parts interface in the VAB is always on by default? I have been looking in the game files but only found this in a readme folder

* Support Rigid Attachment (non-bendy) option for part joints in cfg and in the PAW.

Moving to Gameplay Questions.

44 minutes ago, Rhys989 said:

Is there a way to change a setting/options so that rigid attachment in the parts interface in the VAB is always on by default? I have been looking in the game files but only found this in a readme folder

* Support Rigid Attachment (non-bendy) option for part joints in cfg and in the PAW.

I believe that no, there isn't.  Probably because of lack of demand-- also, I suspect that having "rigid attachment turned on all the time by default for all parts" would likely cause significant gameplay problems (large structures can be brittle).  In my own gameplay, I use "rigid attachment" strategically-- only occasionally, and always at carefully-chosen spots where it's specifically needed.

What I'd really like, though, would be a finer-grained control of how rigid attachment works.  Have been tempted to write a mod to do this.  Specifically, I'd like it to work like this:

• Allow a setting that would choose default thus: you attach a new part to a vessel, the state of the "rigid attachment" toggle is set to equal that of whatever part you're attaching it to.  Thus, if I add one part and set it to "rigid attachment", then its child parts will automatically be rigid too, until I manually tweak one to be off again.
  • Have a .cfg file option (e.g. controlled by ModuleManager, if a mod) to allow specifying the default on-or-off state on a per-part-type basis.  e.g. if there's a certain part type that you always want to be rigidly attached, then you can specify that setting in the config for that part.

On 10/8/2018 at 9:22 AM, Snark said:

I suspect that having "rigid attachment turned on all the time by default for all parts" would likely cause significant gameplay problems (large structures can be brittle).  In my own gameplay, I use "rigid attachment" strategically-- only occasionally, and always at carefully-chosen spots where it's specifically needed.

I agree. I tried rigid attachment on a few of my larger planes and they shattered on landing, whereas without rigid attachment (but some well-placed struts) they worked fine. 

If a mod solution is fine for you, try Editor Extensions Redux:

The mod offers some 'Mass Tweakables' to turn on/off rigid attachment (and/or autostruts as well) for every part. So, it will not change rigid attachment to your default, you still have to press a little button but that's way more comfortable than doing it manually for every part ;)

11 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Can you go back and undo one or two if needed or is it all or nothing?

It's all or nothing but you can still use the part action menu to disable it for a few parts.

Maybe you can also put a few parts temporary away as ghost parts and they will not be affected but I haven't tried it this way

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.