[WIP] Universal Fleet Solutions - A Modular FTL Spaceship Project

Acea

On 10/9/2018 at 12:29 AM, Acea said:

Kerwis Team Presents (work in progress)

k75qEk7.jpg

I'm always interested in futuristic battles in science fiction, which could be really fantastic. Giant warships jump into a battle straight from lightyears away in a glimpse of eye, laser beams and shells fill the screen with death and destruction, and pilots firing all missiles at enemy flagship... That's always romantic.

But there's much more behind it. Cargo ships carrying goods and materials across vast space and colonies, through high speed stargate networks; civilian FTL spacecrafts travel into the furthest unknown where nobody has ever set foot on; civilizations spread into universe and build megacities on planets they just discovered a few years ago...

We are speaking here to announce a brand new project, by which we are trying to set a standard for future KSP FTL crafts. Modular starship parts (which would be compatible to well-known mods like B9 HX and USI MKS Kontainers), multiple FTL methods, futuristic power sources, and so many more in our plan that I can't cover them all here.

We would do it step by step, it may take a bit of time to realize and polish, and we hope you guys would like it when things become true and solid.

TO-DO LIST (DEC. 24/2018)

Basic FTL (faster than light) method and parts

- Wideband Anomaly Redirect Propulsion (W.A.R.P.) Core (Warp Drive Core) (done)

- Emergency Vessel Anti-Defunctionalization Engine (E.V.A.D.E) (Emergency Jump Engine) (done)

- General Arriving Terminal Equipments (G.A.T.E.) (Star Gate Parts)

Modular ship parts (at least in 2 styles Type-A done)

- Command pods and control parts (SAS/RCS) (done)

- Structural parts (done)

- Switchable resource containers (done)

- Armor panels and shield generator (done)

Weapons (based on BDArmory Continued)

- Kinetic Weapons

-- Electromagnetic Guns (AP)

-- Plasma Guns (HE)

-- Point Defense Guns (CIWS)

- Energy Weapons

-- Laser Main Guns

-- Laser Point Defense (CIWS)

- Missiles and Torpedoes

-- Small/Medium Tactical Missiles

-- Large Strategic Missiles

-- Space Torpedoes

Wow, this is what I'm waiting for since I got the game. However, I think adding a few powerful sublight fusion propulsion devices, with a huge beam of plasma as exhaust, and which will allow the ship to accelerate exceeding 100 Gs will be more than awesome (and the ship shouldn't fall apart in this situation) Also, for the weaponary part, an existing mod called KTech might offer some good ideas (Although I think that mod still requires some improvement) Last, I hope most of the parts can be compatible with Tweakscale to allow constructs of different sizes, which BDA and other weaponary mods lacks.

On 6/13/2019 at 7:59 AM, sturmhauke said:

This looks super cool! Do you need someone to help with combat-related coding? I'm currently digging around in the BDA code to see how it works, and was thinking of doing a space combat fork. Standard BDA doesn't understand orbital mechanics, and ships tend to fall out of orbit pretty quickly.

Wow, so... can you tell me why sometimes the BDA and other weaponary mods based on BDA are glitchy? Like, sometimes the projectiles/missiles/lasers pass straight through the target, doing no damage?

On 1/23/2020 at 4:31 PM, P4R4M3D1C said:

I will admit, I adore this.
Just a question, will there be cargo bays to deploy smaller craft from?

That is always on the list.

21 hours ago, SynX said:

Wow, this is what I'm waiting for since I got the game. However, I think adding a few powerful sublight fusion propulsion devices, with a huge beam of plasma as exhaust, and which will allow the ship to accelerate exceeding 100 Gs will be more than awesome (and the ship shouldn't fall apart in this situation) Also, for the weaponary part, an existing mod called KTech might offer some good ideas (Although I think that mod still requires some improvement) Last, I hope most of the parts can be compatible with Tweakscale to allow constructs of different sizes, which BDA and other weaponary mods lacks.

Fusion propulsion is a thing. You can see that we've made a plasma thruster, which unfortunately is not designed for reaching like 100 Gs, but it will be there.

For weapons we have a complete list of what to do, and what styles would fit our brand new ships better. Thx for your advice.

On 1/26/2020 at 5:57 PM, Acea said:

That is always on the list.

Fusion propulsion is a thing. You can see that we've made a plasma thruster, which unfortunately is not designed for reaching like 100 Gs, but it will be there.

For weapons we have a complete list of what to do, and what styles would fit our brand new ships better. Thx for your advice.

Will them be compatible with TweakScale? 

2 hours ago, SynX said:

Will them be compatible with TweakScale? 

Not really sure yet. I'm planning to limit compatibility of some parts like W.A.R.P. and Tokamak, they cannot be affected by TweakScale for the sake of balancing. Related structural parts may be limited too, still looking for a better solution.

On 8/12/2019 at 11:04 AM, Acea said:

Current engines would be fusion-plasma driven and will have an extremely high ISP, near the level of a torchship.

Heat output on the other hand will be relatively low, due to the fact that most of the heat was generated by the fusion reactor itself, not the engines.

Since they are fusion powered ships, will the fusion reactors and propulsion systems from KSPIE work?

On 1/29/2020 at 6:15 PM, SynX said:

Since they are fusion powered ships, will the fusion reactors and propulsion systems from KSPIE work?

We'll be using a totally different and much simpler method, I guess KSPIE modules may not work in the same way.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2020 at 2:25 PM, Acea said:

We'll be using a totally different and much simpler method, I guess KSPIE modules may not work in the same way.

Any progress updates? Will it be compatible with the latest version of KSP upon release?

Edited by SynX

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, SynX said:

While everything looks very awesome, I did not heard any progress updates for several months... Is this project halted? 

Nope it's just that we are having a bit too many projects to deal with, and it would take a bit of time to sort them all out. Progress updates will be there once we have anything special to display.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2018 at 12:29 AM, Acea said:

Kerwis Team Presents (work in progress)

k75qEk7.jpg

I'm always interested in futuristic battles in science fiction, which could be really fantastic. Giant warships jump into a battle straight from lightyears away in a glimpse of eye, laser beams and shells fill the screen with death and destruction, and pilots firing all missiles at enemy flagship... That's always romantic.

But there's much more behind it. Cargo ships carrying goods and materials across vast space and colonies, through high speed stargate networks; civilian FTL spacecrafts travel into the furthest unknown where nobody has ever set foot on; civilizations spread into universe and build megacities on planets they just discovered a few years ago...

We are speaking here to announce a brand new project, by which we are trying to set a standard for future KSP FTL crafts. Modular starship parts (which would be compatible to well-known mods like B9 HX and USI MKS Kontainers), multiple FTL methods, futuristic power sources, and so many more in our plan that I can't cover them all here.

We would do it step by step, it may take a bit of time to realize and polish, and we hope you guys would like it when things become true and solid.

TO-DO LIST (DEC. 24/2018)

Basic FTL (faster than light) method and parts

- Wideband Anomaly Redirect Propulsion (W.A.R.P.) Core (Warp Drive Core) (done)

- Emergency Vessel Anti-Defunctionalization Engine (E.V.A.D.E) (Emergency Jump Engine) (done)

- General Arriving Terminal Equipments (G.A.T.E.) (Star Gate Parts)

Modular ship parts (at least in 2 styles Type-A done)

- Command pods and control parts (SAS/RCS) (done)

- Structural parts (done)

- Switchable resource containers (done)

- Armor panels and shield generator (done)

Weapons (based on BDArmory Continued)

- Kinetic Weapons

-- Electromagnetic Guns (AP)

-- Plasma Guns (HE)

-- Point Defense Guns (CIWS)

- Energy Weapons

-- Laser Main Guns

-- Laser Point Defense (CIWS)

- Missiles and Torpedoes

-- Small/Medium Tactical Missiles

-- Large Strategic Missiles

-- Space Torpedoes

There might be more added to this list, I would provide information about our progress now and then. You're also welcomed to provide suggestions and new part concepts here. Looking forward to more ideas to make this project great.

Actually for a massive mod like this, it’s certain to take a long time (already a year and half since first announcement). Since I found out that command and structural parts , as well as various FTL propulsion and energy shields have already been made for quite a while... Releasing after everything is done, it will be quite overwhelming both for the developer (Kerwis) and players... So I suggest it might be a good idea to release the structural components and conventional engines first, then add these fancy FTL methods and exciting weaponry later... 

I got this idea from the development of KSPIE, which is another massive mod, composed of many components. I believe many things are gradually added after initial realease, in fact there are still people actively contributing, like me. Furthermore for players, introducing some parts most important  to ship design (such as structural components) first, then gradually adding other fancy stuff, like cool sci fi weaponry that other mods lacks (for example KTech, only introduced kinetic and energy weapons, and many of these energy weapons deals virtually no damage) that might give both players a motivation to make it better, thus “making this project great”

Edited by SynX

• 4 weeks later...

Update May. 9:

On 4/13/2020 at 8:39 AM, SynX said:

Actually for a massive mod like this, it’s certain to take a long time (already a year and half since first announcement). Since I found out that command and structural parts , as well as various FTL propulsion and energy shields have already been made for quite a while... Releasing after everything is done, it will be quite overwhelming both for the developer (Kerwis) and players... So I suggest it might be a good idea to release the structural components and conventional engines first, then add these fancy FTL methods and exciting weaponry later... 

I got this idea from the development of KSPIE, which is another massive mod, composed of many components. I believe many things are gradually added after initial realease, in fact there are still people actively contributing, like me. Furthermore for players, introducing some parts most important  to ship design (such as structural components) first, then gradually adding other fancy stuff, like cool sci fi weaponry that other mods lacks (for example KTech, only introduced kinetic and energy weapons, and many of these energy weapons deals virtually no damage) that might give both players a motivation to make it better, thus “making this project great”

Actually there're a few things we consider as fundamental elements for UFS: Reactors, FTL and structural parts.

These components are critical for our concept, without which we cannot say our mod is ready to be released. This would certainly cost some time, but it'll surely be worth it.

5 hours ago, MonkeyCan'tDock said:

Will the mod be compatible with your cloaking device? Is it getting a redesign?

Currently there are a few issues about T.I.M.E. (cloaking device), we're gonna do some more tweaks before it got merged into UFS or had a new release.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:24 AM, Acea said:

Update May. 9:

Actually there're a few things we consider as fundamental elements for UFS: Reactors, FTL and structural parts.

These components are critical for our concept, without which we cannot say our mod is ready to be released. This would certainly cost some time, but it'll surely be worth it.

Yes. Thank you for that information. That cockpit view is amazing, I think it would be great for cinematic purposes. And even better if the screens in front of the Kerbals displays information of the craft. I think there's a mod called Raster Prop Monitor, which does this stuff.

Edited by SynX

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 5:47 AM, Acea said:

Update Dec. 29th:

q3jRNJZ.jpg

eyokpxJ.jpg

We are back!

Being away for a whole season, now we have quite a bit of background issues to deal with, the overall schedule will be delayed a bit longer than we thought. 

While all our monkeys having fun with their typewriters, let's enjoy this Brand New™ delivery box from one of Universal Fleet Solution's major suppliers.

i know this was posted last year but is this going to actually be in the mod? if so will it hold ammo for the weapons or  work with kerbal inventory system?

On 6/14/2020 at 6:47 AM, epicfailure2020 said:

i know this was posted last year but is this going to actually be in the mod? if so will it hold ammo for the weapons or  work with kerbal inventory system?

This would most likely become a prop on the bridge or somewhere else, actual containers would look like standard intermodal containers.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This is the most intriguing mod I've seen In a long while. The concept of having fleets of battle ships and cargo ships able to travel to anywhere in the universe is fascinating. Please keep working on this if you can. I can't wait for the next update!

Edited by Teigen

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 5:07 AM, Teigen said:

Wow! This is the most intriguing mod I've seen In a long while. The concept of having fleets of battle ships and cargo ships able to travel to anywhere in the universe is fascinating. Please keep working on this if you can. I can't wait for the next update!

What do you mean by "next update"? This project hasn't been released yet... good things require a bit of patience

• 4 months later...

Not much activities lately. Is this much hyped mod halted?

FreeThinker (KSPIE administrator) said yesturday :"regarding Universal Fleet Solution, I kind of feared this would happen as most single developer ambitious project tend stall when not releasing anything for a long time. Developers tend to lose interest over times, burnup or get significant changes in their real life."

Lets hope Kerwis is a strong team, and this situation doesn't happen.

Edited by SynX

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.