Space History near you!

Geonovast

29 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

during my high school years I worked here

That's like a Voyage Home.

36 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

I know, not technically part of space history...

Don't ever think that Star Trek isn't a part of space history.  The engineers at NASA in the '70s and '80s were the students and kids that grew up watching it.

57 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Ever wonder if you wouldn't be into space had you lived somewhere else?

Well, I actually moved to Huntsville for school a few months ago, I actually come from a town in south Alabama, near where the army has its helicopter flight school. If I hadn’t realized how fascinating space can be I would probably be on my way to earning my wings as a Blackhawk pilot right now...

I grew up in the DC area, about half an hour from the Udvar-Hazy center, home to Discovery (and at one point, Enterprise)

DDHgGSW.jpg

Even closer to home, Katherine Wright, mother of the Wright brothers was born about 5 miles from my house, in the next town over.

Related image 

I'm also studying aerospace engineering in the shadow of this thing. Purdue has graduated more astronauts than any other college, including the first man on the moon and the last (Armstrong and Gene Cernan).

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Well, I actually moved to Huntsville for school a few months ago, I actually come from a town in south Alabama, near where the army has its helicopter flight school. If I hadn’t realized how fascinating space can be I would probably be on my way to earning my wings as a Blackhawk pilot right now...

Welcome I guess. (UAH?)

My problem with Huntsville is that it surrounds Madison... the city, not the county.

3 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

Welcome I guess. (UAH?)

My problem with Huntsville is that it surrounds Madison... the city, not the county.

Yep, that’s it! With a bit of luck and perseverance I’ll be an aerospace engineer four to six years from now.

What’s wrong with Madison?

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Yep, that’s it! With a bit of luck and perseverance I’ll be an aerospace engineer four to six years from now.

What’s wrong with Madison?

Nothing's wrong with Madison. Huntsville surrounds Madison. So it's constricted. Meanwhile Madison is growing pretty fast. And there isn't much room to grow...

You guys had me confused for a minute, as I grew out around Madison, WI... which isn't constricted at all.

Unfortunately nothing space history related there, that I'm aware of anyway.  Although the UW has a lot of research labs, so it's possible they were involved in some way in some thing.

16 hours ago, Servo said:

Purdue has graduated more astronauts than any other college, including the first man on the moon and the last (Armstrong and Gene Cernan). 

I find that an interesting statement, and inaccurate. Embry-Riddle graduated 7 astronauts just this past year, my cousin's son attends there - aspiring.

The US Naval Academy, actually, takes the lead in 'Astronaut' graduates, followed second by the US Air-Force Academy.

Edit: Found the link...
https://www.eab.com/daily-briefing/2016/07/27/the-colleges-with-the-most-astronaut-alumni

Edited by LordFerret
Because I can't spell or type or both. :/

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

You guys had me confused for a minute, as I grew out around Madison, WI... which isn't constricted at all.

Unfortunately nothing space history related there, that I'm aware of anyway.  Although the UW has a lot of research labs, so it's possible they were involved in some way in some thing.

Apparently there are 25 cities, towns, boroughs, and other things named Madison in the United States. 

2 minutes ago, Bill Phil said:

Apparently there are 25 cities, towns, boroughs, and other things named Madison in the United States. 

Oh, I know.  Same with Marshall.  There are Marshalls everywhere, but when I hear that as a town name, my head instantly goes to the little craphole I grew up in.

You see, Iowa is not a good place for a space geek to live...

James Van Allen lived and taught here, and James T. Kirk will be born here, but that's the only thing I can think of... The most important space thing for at least 30 minutes in each direction from where I live is probably the American flag that has been flown in space, currently in my bedroom. It was awarded to my grandfather, who worked at NASA for 30 years, most of it at Lewis (now Glenn) Research Center.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.