Prevent unpiloted power cutoff

I've been trying to set up a situation in which I have multiple uncontrolled vehicles, powered by jet engine, continue uncontrolled after having their engines started, set to full thrust and then detached (bascally like firing a missile) from a controlled mother vehicle.

The problem is that the game cuts the thrust of these based on what seems to be the distance from the currently controlled vehicle.

My question... is it possible to either disable this, or increase the distance at which the cutting of power occurs.

For things like "thrust" to be modeled, the engine has to be within the "physics bubble" range from the currently selected vessel. The size of the physics bubble is set at the bottom of your Physics.cfg file, in the section called "VesselRanges".

The reason those settings are there is so that you can change them. So basically the answer is yes, you can increase the distance. And no, you can't disable it, because the physics bubble is vital to the functioning of the game.

I tried increasing the range values that seemed low enough (assuming units used is metres) but that doesn't have any effect... the engines still cut out at about 200m.

Here's the relevant part of the Physics.cfg with my alterations.

VesselRanges
{
    prelaunch
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 2500
        pack = 3500
        unpack = 2000
    }
    landed
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 2500
        pack = 3500
        unpack = 2000
    }
    splashed
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 2500
        pack = 3500
        unpack = 2000
    }
    flying
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 22500
        pack = 25000
        unpack = 2000
    }
    orbit
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 2500
        pack = 3500
        unpack = 2000
    }
    subOrbital
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 15000
        pack = 10000
        unpack = 2000
    }
    escaping
    {
        load = 2250
        unload = 2500
        pack = 3500
        unpack = 2000
    }
}

These vehicles aren't traditional missiles, they're jet powered rovers. I'll give the Physics Range Extender mod a try.

Thanks

8 hours ago, Jarin said:

It sounds like you're trying to launch missiles. Might look at the mod the BDA crew use to deal with this sort of problem:

That worked... thanks for that.

I now have a bunch of crazy out of control jet rovers, travelling more than a couple of hundred metres from the launch vehicle... which is exactly what I wanted :)

13 hours ago, purpleivan said:

That worked... thanks for that.

I now have a bunch of crazy out of control jet rovers, travelling more than a couple of hundred metres from the launch vehicle... which is exactly what I wanted :)

That sounds like an amazing recipe for hilarity. I want video. :D 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.