Moving very heavy parts in-flight?

shifty303

Hello! 

I need to figure out a way to move big objects (>15tons) produced on other planets. One such object is this highlighted box which will be produced on other planets and be laying on the ground, much like in this screenshot. I've tried multiple grappling hooks and magnetics. Short of having 1 kerbal per ton what methods have you found to pick up and move very heavy objects?

GfnWZet.jpg

@shifty303 I don't use those mods. I'm sure there are better ways then besides what I'm going to suggest.

But what you could do is use a rover on heavy landing gear with a large open mid section that has a belly with several claws. It could kneel to the ground when lowering the landing gear then grapple on to anything you need to carry. Fun thing is, you can carry a lot more then ~15 Ton this way. If the cargo isn't steady in the middle you can autostrut it while driving.

J7MYupl.jpg

rAxJW2B.jpg

Then drive around :)

UIZbdpD.jpg

Moving to Add-on Discussions, since this is a question about mods.

Though it's worth noting that if you have a question about a specific mod, the best place to ask is usually in that mod's release thread, since that's where all the expert users (and author!) of that mod tend to hang out.  ;)

16 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

But what you could do is use a rover on heavy landing gear with a large open mid section that has a belly with several claws. It could kneel to the ground when lowering the landing gear then grapple on to anything you need to carry. Fun thing is, you can carry a lot more then ~15 Ton this way. If the cargo isn't steady in the middle you can autostrut it while driving.

Oh that's a great idea! I didn't think of using the claws because I never use them, thanks!!

5 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Add-on Discussions, since this is a question about mods.

I was open to any suggestion, stock or modded but @Aeroboi gave me a very promising solution. Thanks for keeping the forums clean though - I'm mostly a lurker and it is greatly appreciated.

well you are using this mod from what I can tell in the screenshot. That mod had items that give bonuses to individual Kerbals lifting capacity using KIS.

Here is each items Distance and Mass ratings from the KIS.cfg file in Konstruction folder. Load it up in creative and check it out.

Spoiler

PAL_Claw
            maxDistance = 12
            grabMaxMass = 10

PAL_Magnet
            maxDistance = 12
            grabMaxMass = 10

PAL_Gripper
            maxDistance = 10
            grabMaxMass = 6

PAL_Crane
        maxDistance = 16
        grabMaxMass = 6

PAL_Forklift

maxDistance = 6
        grabMaxMass = 22

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.