Kerbal Space Program Update 1.5 Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Wait... It's been out since Thursday and I haven't noticed? Wow, I must really be tired...

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah. How the hell did I not notice?

It wasn't, the release got delayed a couple of days. They must've just hidden the thread.

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah. How the hell did I not notice?

I saw the post for the annoucement this morning... then it disappeared or got merged into this thread or somefin.   I was looking for my post to the thread this morning, but it's gone.

3 minutes ago, worir4 said:

Yey! Finally we don't need to have a mod for this. :D

Yep. One less mod for @linuxgurugamer to maintain :wink:

I'm launching 1.5 now, apparently AVC really doesn't like me updating. Pretty much every mod I have said something like 'Please use 1.4.1'. I'm sure they'll be fine though.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

What does that mean? I got it fresh from the KSP store... is that a Steam thing?

You must have downloaded 1.4.x accidentally or Squad have packaged the wrong version on the Store.

This is what the FL-T100 should look like (along with awesome looking white Mk1 command pod!)

CgaQDiJ.jpg

1 minute ago, severedsolo said:

You must have downloaded 1.4.x accidentally or Squad have packaged the wrong version on the Store.

Nawp! I mean, I'm pretty thorough when it comes to that. Also, check that image I posted again, closer this time. Note the FL200-800 look just like the 1.5.0 tanks should, which would not be present in a 1.4.x install... ;) 

2 minutes ago, Dark Lion said:

Nawp! I mean, I'm pretty thorough when it comes to that. Also, check that image I posted again, closer this time. Note the FL200-800 look just like the 1.5.0 tanks should, which would not be present in a 1.4.x install... ;)  

Heh I did miss that the first time. Either way though, the advice is still sound. Purge the directory entirely, redownload it. If it's still happening, chances are something is funky at the store.

So far, so good... looking forward to trying out all the revamped parts and modifications.

The new suits look great.

Just one thing... am I seeing things, or is the old HECS model still there alongside the new one?

7 minutes ago, Vexillar said:

Just one thing... am I seeing things, or is the old HECS model still there alongside the new one?

That's no hallucination! 
Kgf1SUS.png

The old one gets specular bump though.... and the new one doesn't get the mentioned rotation...

Edited by Dark Lion
Noticed more differences

2 hours ago, drewthedrewman said:

Wow, Better Burn Time and Take Command both obviated?! Tasty :)

Well, BetterBurnTime's not quite obviated-- it does have a few features that are not in stock (i.e. assistance with vacuum landings, target rendezvous, and atmosphere transition).

But yeah, the big feature that's probably the reason most folks really liked it is now not just stock, but better in stock.  So, well done Squad, as far as I'm concerned.  That's a seriously shiny new toy there.  :)

(I mean metaphorically.  As opposed to the actually, literally shiny toys you've given us in 1.5 too...)

20 minutes ago, DoToH said:

Any word on this?

I don't play KSP since then, waiting for the fix playing other games until is fixed. Maybe 1.6?

Reading that thread, I wouldn't expect any action till SQUAD receives a save file that reproduces the problem, since a member of their QA staff already tried on his own and didn't experience it.

Wondering what change affected the first test I ran? Figured I'd do a real quick check mostly just to see how things looked (particularly UI scale, which at first glance does seem better, but that's not what I'm writing about here). New career, moderate difficulty, make the simplest flyable rocket (pod 1, chute, flea, 3 fins - no science experiment or anything else bothered with - not that there's much else in the way of options at that stage). Turn on Jeb's SAS and launch straight up, doing nothing til max altitude, where I hit the stage to trigger chute deploy.

what am I doing at 20.9 K meters? Actually a hair high for the chute to semi-deploy. When I do get low enough for it to semi-deploy up here, it doesn't have enough drag to keep from accelerating til the chute is destroyed. (In retesting, I discovered that the chute destruction was from the physics warp I did on the way down; without the warp, it does stay under the destruction limits - barely). Went back and rechecked the same setup with 1.4.33, 1.4.4, and 1.4.5, all of which I still happen to have loaded on that same machine. They all get to about 13.9 k meters instead of 20.9 k. Drag difference? Atmosphere?

It seems to me like Mk1 Pod, despite previous information on "not changing its properties too much" is now flipping in atmosphere (with no SAS) to fly with pointy side down, while it should keep its orientation with thick bottom side to prograde. Is it intended? Anybody else can observe this?