Kerbal Space Program Update 1.5 Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

Really glad the parts are getting an update. 

It's sad that the 1.25m capsule looks so good but the parachute and the heat shield / shroud weren't updated. Just a suggestion, but it may be worthwhile to upgrade parts in logical sets tied to how they're used - parachute, capsule, heat shield, tanks, engine -  versus just saying "we're doing capsules and probe cores"

again...seriously glad this is all happening, just might be worth looking at how you group parts updates.

Edited by Tyko

Here's a brief overview of what appears to be wrong. I went to the worst craft i've ever made to test it, because it relied 100% on body lift.

I'm sure they're already getting to the bottom of this, but here's an excessively simple explanation:
body lift is pointing the wrong way and your planes are getting a bit more drag by accident. That's why you're getting less lift than you should, and having less delta-v.

37 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

i know... but Ill be *that* guy...
checking to make sure 100% thats the only change, so I can save the STore server a redownload? :P

ie i can ust delete that folder from the zip i origianlly grabbed?

yes that should work.

3 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Glad to see the Mk3 Ramp / Extendable Panel Bug was fi...

Never mind.  Hey, @DMagic.  How much to port Tracking Station Evolved to 1.3.1?

<snip pic>

That has been explained several times. It's not a bug. But what was done in 1.5 is the shrouded extendable panels now have separate crash tolerances when they are retracted.

3 hours ago, cameronrichards56 said:

So I have a question will this update roll out Xbox and PS4 because I do not remember the last time i heard either of those versions got an update

Unfortunately it seems that the devs have forgotten or are keeping very quiet about the console version. The last console update was months ago, and we've had no news since then. So most likely it isn't coming to console versions.

7 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Unfortunately it seems that the devs have forgotten or are keeping very quiet about the console version. The last console update was months ago, and we've had no news since then. So most likely it isn't coming to console versions.

Console versions are handled by an outside company.   It is probably very cost prohibitive for Squad to have the contractor work on updating the console version every time an update drops.   Especially with every 1.x updates, there are usually a bunch of tweaks and bug fixes.    I'd guess once Squad is happy with the current version (which ever one that may be, not necessarily 1.5), then a console update will "soon" follow. 

2 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

That has been explained several times. It's not a bug. But what was done in 1.5 is the shrouded extendable panels now have separate crash tolerances when they are retracted.

I'll just leave these here for posterity.

Spoiler

I did some testing on the weird draggy nature of spaceplanes now. Turns out body lift got a little weird. Posting it here so that folk don't have to go dig up another thread (video in post)

Locked up on fresh and clean install at the what's new screen (8th gen i7/1080/16gb ram/1tb ssd/win 10 pro)
Alt F-4 and restart all OK

Sorting by size and mass still weigh off :P

also, I seriously cannot under how there is still not a 2.5-3.75 tank

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

I did some testing on the weird draggy nature of spaceplanes now. Turns out body lift got a little weird. Posting it here so that folk don't have to go dig up another thread (video in post)

Nice job.

Edited by klgraham1013

Did anyone experience a strong decrease in performance in the game after the 1.5 update? I have been playing the game for months but after the update the game basically freezes when trying to build large rockets. It's unplayable at this moment. Did requirements get higher? How can I DOWNGRADE?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I think its odd that there is such a disparity in the reflection maps for the parts utilizing the new shader between the Editor and Flight scenes:

bCZ0swY.jpg

The Editor cube map reflection is of a distinctly higher level of quality compared to the Flight scene one... almost as though its being sold with a polished with a pretty bow on it, but in reality we get a rusty version with scratches and dents.

I'm seeing this same thing in my testing on 1.5 (completely stock, DX9).  Environment reflections seem to only work in the editors.  Outside of the editors, the parts reflect 'black'.

Is anyone getting reflections on these parts in the flight scene?

What trickery is this? My Steam KSP folder has these 2 EXEs:

Directory of c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program

07/21/2018  03:03 AM        23,488,000 KSP_x64.exe
10/15/2018  05:54 PM        23,488,000 Launcher.exe

I can see maybe if they changed Steam to run "Launcher.exe" or something (or for all I know Steam's been running Launcher.exe all this time) but when I manually run ksp_x64.exe, it runs version 1.5. And when it's running with the 1.5 version in the lower right corner, taskmgr says I'm running ksp_x64.exe

So either 1.5 has been ready since July or ... ?

:confused:

@TriggerAuCan we expect to see more updated parts in future updates? I love the new and updated parts, however, there are still a large number of parts in the game that have not been updated to the current standard set by the Making History expansion. Thanks for all your hard work!

Edited by Jalaris

5 hours ago, MR L A said:

errr... no, maybe.. what?

"thick bottom side" should be going in first/pointing towards the surface... which is pointing retrograde, not prograde, if you go by which SAS toggle forces the pod to keep that orientation.

When it is falling from space, bottom side is pointing prograde (direction of speed vector), which is pointing to ground. Ship itself will point retrograde (with its pointy end). Nevermind, it doesn't flip anymore after clean reinstall.

1 hour ago, Jalaris said:

@TriggerAuCan we expect to see more updated parts in future updates? I love the new and updated parts, however, there are still a large number of parts in the game that have not been updated to the current standard set by the Making History expansion. Thanks for all your hard work!

Glad your liking em, the art guys will be glad to hear it

Unfortunately for your question though thats one of those question that I can neither confirm nor deny - I wish I could, sorry

4 hours ago, Boyster said:

Pls tell me there isnt a second drag/aero nightmare with the new patch.I cant take it, not enough time passed since the last one.

If I had to guess I would blame
"While staying true to the game’s original essence, the geometry and texture maps of these parts were completely redone."