Kerbal Space Program Update 1.5 Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

7 hours ago, nestor said:

We are currently taking a look.

It's almost as if the consumers are acting as the frontline QA Team a few days after a release is dropped. I hope that this does not set a precedent and this kind of thing is yet another strong argument for opt-in, public, pre-release versions that used to happen with Kerbal Space Program. It's always confused me as to why the decision was made to stop this way of letting the most involved community help SQUAD identify bugs so that the rest of the player base can have a smoother transition.

3 hours ago, Cassel said:

If I had to guess I would blame
"While staying true to the game’s original essence, the geometry and texture maps of these parts were completely redone."

KSP doesn't use geometry to calculate drag.  Each part is given a drag number.

3 hours ago, breakthesystem said:

This is wonderful and I can't wait to try it out. One thing, do I see a strong planet shine in the promotional image? I assume that's not in the actual game graphics, even though I'd loooove if it were there :D~ 

I wouldn't rely on promotional images at all. They're always made to look neat, and it's something that happens with almost all games.

They even use mods to make the game look pretty, something I find controversial.

I was playing it when the update notification came up so, after exiting, I quickly set the version to 1.4.5 and avoided the update. As much as I like the new look of some parts (new Mk1 is superb and is directly influenced by Porkjet's Part Overhaul, which engines I use instead of stock ones), I like playing it more, and I use quite a lot of plugins, so... I'll wait.

8 hours ago, Gaba_Kerman said:

Why did they take out the uncovered 2.5 m tanks?

Not sure which parts you are talking about here?

2 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

KSP doesn't use geometry to calculate drag.  Each part is given a drag number.

Partially incorrect ;)  Drag cubes are calculated off of the mesh.   So a change in the mesh will result in a change to the drag cube.  We override these in certain cases (like decouplers and other hollow parts), but the starting line is always the numbers generated off of the mesh itself.

16 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Partially incorrect ;)  Drag cubes are calculated off of the mesh.   So a change in the mesh will result in a change to the drag cube.  We override these in certain cases (like decouplers and other hollow parts), but the starting line is always the numbers generated off of the mesh itself.

That's interesting. Thanks for the insight.

5 hours ago, breakthesystem said:

I assume that's not in the actual game graphics, even though I'd loooove if it were there :D~ 

Apparently, no, the stock systems do not support flight-scene reflections.  You can use TexturesUnlimited though for the reflections (when it is updated/released), which works with the stock shaders, and -does- have flight-scene reflections

xtATBuO.png

PKMH2kY.png

(dx9 still hates cubemap blurring however.... so there are issues unless you use openGL/dx11 -- I suspect this is why KSP currently does not support flight-scene reflections, as they use dx9 by default)

8 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

Glad your liking em, the art guys will be glad to hear it

Please let them know how much this is appreciated; I'm very glad to see the older parts getting some attention such that all the parts are now moving toward a common color and design theme.

Edited by Electrocutor

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

What trickery is this? My Steam KSP folder has these 2 EXEs:

07/21/2018  03:03 AM        23,488,000 KSP_x64.exe
10/15/2018  05:54 PM        23,488,000 Launcher.exe

I can see maybe if they changed Steam to run "Launcher.exe" or something (or for all I know Steam's been running Launcher.exe all this time) but when I manually run ksp_x64.exe, it runs version 1.5. And when it's running with the 1.5 version in the lower right corner, taskmgr says I'm running ksp_x64.exe

So either 1.5 has been ready since July or ... ?

Bear in mind that "KSP 1.5" is a whole lot more than just the actual executable itself.  An awful lot of the guts of KSP are not in the .exe, but rather are in the "Assembly-CSharp.dll" that lives down in the "managed" folder.  And of course, there are lots of "assets" under GameData/Squad, e.g. models, textures, config files, etc.  None of that stuff is part of the .exe.

It may very well be that changes to the executable itself might have been finished back in July, and what they were working on since then has been the other file assets (models, textures, config) and the code that lives in the DLL.

No way to know for sure, of course, since we don't work at Squad and don't know their internal development processes, but that seems like a plausible guess to me.  :)

3 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

You were here for 1.4.  The precedent has already been set.

I just installed 1.4.5 last week, so I could swap craft with a buddy. I was really looking forward to a solid QA job on this release, and was planning on finally purchasing MH to show support for the new and improved development process that's been showing in the weeklies.

This morning, I'm sorely tempted to delete 1.4.5 and go back to my multiple 1.3.1 installs.

In addition, I'm wondering how much money I have to bribe all the major modders with before I can get them to refuse to update mods beyond Last Known Good Version. If I quit smoking, that's $200/month.

I'm taking a break from the forums, because that's irrational thinking.

18 hours ago, Black-Two- said:

As the creator of that thread, I don't have that problem anymore. It disappeared in either 1.4.4 or 1.4.5.

That's the info I wanted to read!!!  Now I just have to wait for mods to update.

Thanks.

Honestly, the biggest problem is not getting a new version and damaging all users and forcing all mod makers to upgrade their projects, the real KSP problem is the lack of a definitive version of the game compared to Star Citizen, least we KSP players are at an advantage, but this is not so great. The question is: When will we have a definitive version of the game so that from it it is possible to create any mod?

5 minutes ago, Catatau_27 said:

The question is: When will we have a definitive version of the game so that from it it is possible to create any mod?

Probably never. The development model used by KSP is more as Operating System than a shelve product.

You can't have the cake and eat it too. You want a Star Citizens development model? It came with a Star Citizens pricing model attached. :-)

What I do is to stick with a Version the most I can. I know people considering migrating from 1.3.1 just now. ;-)

5 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Windows doesn't break all my programs when it updates.

From which Galaxy are you from? :)

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/restore-lost-documents-after-windows-10-forced-update.html

Long time Windows user here. Every major Windows update broke half my productivity tools.

I'm now (for while at least) a MacOS user. Let me tell you something: it's even worse. 

Edited by Lisias
Whoopsy