Kerbal Space Program Update 1.5 Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

12 hours ago, Lisias said:

Well, KSP is a game, being one of its goals to be fun - and ludicrous is fun. So… Yeah, I take KSP way any time. :)

The game tries to be fun but it has always been rather realistic.  If you want to do anything of consequence, i.e. interplanetary travel--whether you do it by sitting down and doing math or using mods or whatever--you need to come up with a delta-V budget and build a vehicle that provides it.  Then you need to execute that mission using simulated rocket engine burns at the right spot.  You need to plan transfer orbits and plan for launch windows.  You can't ludicrous your way through space.

But then when you get there, it's OK to have super bouncy clown landing legs because it's a silly game?  Eh...  you can't have it both ways. 

I agree that the landing legs bounce too much.  The purpose of the legs is the absorb the impact and slow the vehicle down so that the equipment and crew aren't subjected to rapid deceleration.  Normally the legs would then stay mostly compressed.  The problem is KSP's legs then push back with a tremendous amount of force and expand again, producing a bounce on the vehicle.  I think Mike is right--it makes it feel like the spacecraft has no mass.

35 minutes ago, Omaha said:

But then when you get there, it's OK to have super bouncy clown landing legs because it's a silly game?  Eh...  you can't have it both ways. 

Yes, we can. In fact, we already have. We call it KSP. :) 

I would be playing Orbiter if I would want to have "serious" simulation. I play KSP by somewhat the same reason I had play LEGO as a kid: I want to build things that resemble real life, without really having all the complexity of real life. Abstractions are needed, and every time you abstract something, you loose some of the reality. How much, it's up to you to choose.

Too much reality would spoil the game. There's a reason Kerbals "poof" when dying, instead of some more realistic, gruesome way.

36 minutes ago, Omaha said:

The purpose of the legs is the absorb the impact and slow the vehicle down so that the equipment and crew aren't subjected to rapid deceleration.  Normally the legs would then stay mostly compressed.  The problem is KSP's legs then push back with a tremendous amount of force and expand again, producing a bounce on the vehicle.  I think Mike is right--it makes it feel like the spacecraft has no mass.

What you describe is a problem with the dumpers. It appears to me that the 'dump model" was tailored to be used by aircraft landing gears.

Perhaps some adjustment on the values accepted by the Dumpers would be enough to accomplish what you want - but I'm guessing, this is something that the guy that wrote the code can tell for sure.

But, perhaps, you need to design your crafts to the parts you have. I had to do it more than once due landing gears (I play aircrafts a lot more than spacecrafts), and this is also part of the game: cranking up your designs to the limitations of the current parts, instead of trying to make the game behave the way your designs need it.

11 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

How many more versions are there going to be? Is there a FINAL release to look forward to?

There will be new versions until T2I decides to abandon this version of the game.

At that point, it will end up as 'whatever that last release was' possibly without critically needed hot-fixes, depending on the timing of the T2I decision.

(this could be part of why SQUAD is now making minor releases hot-fix only, to make the chances of the last released version being 'bad' as small as possible, as they have no real control over what T2I decides and when)

9 minutes ago, Terwin said:

There will be new versions until T2I decides to abandon this version of the game.

At that point, it will end up as 'whatever that last release was' possibly without critically needed hot-fixes, depending on the timing of the T2I decision.

(this could be part of why SQUAD is now making minor releases hot-fix only, to make the chances of the last released version being 'bad' as small as possible, as they have no real control over what T2I decides and when)

Great! I am quite tired of not being able to have mods for a while and not miss out on new stuff!

18 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

Great! I am quite tired of not being able to have mods for a while and not miss out on new stuff!

What mods are you using that actually broke going from 1.4 to 1.5?

I was under the impression that very few mods were affected by this update, and most of those are already updated.

On 10/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, TriggerAu said:

The previous mk1Pod is still there in GameData, you could unhide it if you want to return to it, we also stored a number of the deprecated parts in GameData/Squad/zDeprecated for those interested

Is the zDeprecated read by KSP at startup?  I need some textures from the old parts, which apparently are in the zDeprecated directory, but I can't seem to access them.  The following code:

MODEL
	{
		model = SXT/Parts/Rocketry/Engine/J2Engine/model
		texture = model000 , Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-T45/model000
		texture = model001 , Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-T45/model001	
		//texture = model004 , Squad/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800/model000
		//texture = model005_NRM , Squad/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800/model001

texture = model004 , Squad/zDeprecated/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800_v1/model000
		texture = model005_NRM , Squad/zDeprecated/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800_v1/model001

scale = 0.46 , 0.5 , 0.46
	}

is giving me the following errors:

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'SXT/Parts/Rocketry/Engine/J2Engine/part/SXTLT80'
PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture 'model004' as cannot find texture 'Squad/zDeprecated/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800_v1/model000' to replace with
PartCompiler: Cannot replace texture 'model005_NRM' as cannot find texture 'Squad/zDeprecated/Parts/FuelTank/fuelTankT800_v1/model001' to replace with

I see this in another mod as well.

Please can you look into optimizing the physics next? Its so hard to build bases when parts randomly explode on the surface of moons and planets. Also the FPS becomes so very bad when there a a few more parts involved. Feels like nothing to do, I dont feel like going to duna, as there is nothing to do once I get there. A fix to the physics would make larger stations and bases possible.

27 minutes ago, MikeO89 said:

I agree, I don't want them stock. I personally like the stock game look better than I do the stock visual enhancements mod. Make it optional if putting it in.

Ye. KSP's graphics give it an old, slightly charming feel. And besides, if graphics were completely overhauled, my framerate (as low as it already is), would be absolutely murdered.

For me it was not the performance that I had issues with, I have a plenty strong enough computer. I tried the mod and just did not particularly like the looks of it. It didn't makes things look better for me, it made them look worse. It kind of gave everything a washed out look that I didn't like. I'm all about improved visuals but this look wasn't an improvement for me. To each his own look I guess.

Edited by MikeO89

7 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

For a given value of aesthetically.

I like the cartoony look, it fits the game.

But it is really bad if you want the game to: Look realistic, Look serious, look gorgeous.

Maybe there could be two modes you can access in settings

Edited by Rover6428

7 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Which I for one don't ;)

many people do though. That's why enhancement mods are popular.

I mean, you don't HAVE to play with the cinematic mode, but I argue it should be implemented (like autostrut, you can turn it off if you want to)

Edited by Rover6428

9 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

many people do though. That's why enhancement mods are popular.

I mean, you don't HAVE to play with the cinematic mode, but I argue it should be implemented (like autostrut, you can turn it off if you want to)

Just download the mods...you can have higher quality today without waiting for Squad to change the game and it doesn't bloat / complicate the game for those who like it the way it is.