Kerbal Space Program Update 1.5 Grand Discussion thread

UomoCapra

4 hours ago, NerV-0-sol said:

Am I the only one who gets the new "Burn Time" wrong? I have a craft with 8 "Nerv" engines and plenty of Lf (over 40K) which is capable of doing about 10260 m/s according to KER and no matter how I place the maneuver node I always see "Burn TIme: 17m, 45s" which is a complete bull**** :/ It happens even if I just add the node and don't touch it at all. My other craft works properly but it uses a "Poodle" engine so maybe the "Nerv" is the problem?

1zbcvm9.jpg

Finally someone else with the same problem!!

I've got a ship with 4 Nervs and 4.1k in DV according to KER and as soon as I make a maneuver it says it will take 10 minutes... even if it is only for a couple m/s.

I notice that your ship also is exclusively LF (as is normal for Nervs). I'm wondering if the burn time is calculating DV using LF + Ox? So it would think it couldn't do the maneuver even though it can? I dunno, just a thought. It's frustrating though.

Edit:

Tested it by added some rocket fuel and plopping my ship into orbit with debug menu. Now the burn time says 3 seconds but it's still red text and won't update when I alter the maneuver. So something is wrong with Nirv dv calculation I guess.

Edited by KevinJohn3D

It seems obvious from reading this thread (as well as from my own craft testing) that there exists an aero bug, or perhaps some inexplicable, intentional, and uncommunicated change to the aerodynamics. However, I haven't seen any of the Devs in this thread categorically acknowledge that such a bug does or does not exist, or that it is being addressed. I have seen a few  "We're looking into it" posts, but without a referenced comment, it's hard to know what's being looked into. I don't expect it to get fixed overnight, but it would be nice to know that it's being addressed. 

I'm also having similar issues to those mentioned in previous comments where the burn time calculator isn't working properly for NERV powered craft.

Also, I appreciate the time and effort that the Devs put into keeping my all-time favorite game fresh.

Thanks to @Lupi for the analysis.

1 hour ago, Steven Mading said:

Does the new burn calculator take into account that you have less dV when the engines are angled so there's "cosine losses"?  The question came up and I could devise a complex test to find out, but I figured I'd just ask here.

check out these screenshots

Spoiler

eeTNnhC.jpg

PTfEwZz.jpg

@SQUAD thanks for providing the updates! I appreciate new content and improvements you provide to the game with each update. I am not going to update my main game yet but I also don't have any urge to immediately use all the new, shiny(!) features you've just delivered. I either finish my current modded game or I upgrade when all nevessary mods are updated. I am afraid that if you stop developing the game, it will just slowly die.

I think you should reconsider public beta program again (as it was already suggested a couple of times on this very thread) - it's very easy to control for both steam and store users, would provide you with a lot of voluntary QA and give more time for modders for updates

Edited by Raphaello

1 hour ago, Steven Mading said:

Does the new burn calculator take into account that you have less dV when the engines are angled so there's "cosine losses"?  The question came up and I could devise a complex test to find out, but I figured I'd just ask here.

Yes it does.

5 hours ago, DMagic said:

The new deltaV calculator does, disappointingly, seem to be generating a fair amount of garbage. It doesn't run every frame, but it adds up, and it gets worse with larger vessels. 

Nooo, please tell me this is not true. A performance hog in the stock base game would be the last thing KSP needs.

I got huge performance issue for big part count objects. I've been just building 800+ parts spaceship in 1.4.5 when upgraded to 1.5. It freezes for 6-8 seconds to add single part, and launching this big rocket from VAB takes 2+ minutes of black loading screen. After loading its ok, performance while flying haven't changed much. It's just for building and loading. Anyone can help how to solve it?

5 hours ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

We've been hearing that for the last 9 months

Entire development of KSP****

That's how Squad works (and, coincidentally, Paradox Interactive - the makers of the only other game I currently play)

SoonTM

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Nooo, please tell me this is not true. A performance hog in the stock base game would be the last thing KSP needs.

This feature can be turned off though (you have to turn it on by default currently) - so I guess that saves some performance? I mean, as soon as KER is updated, I might as well turn it off as it becomes pretty superfluous. 

A new sound in both the Space Center and in the VAB. The one in the VAB, kind of buzzing hum is kind of irritating to me. I  spend a lot of time in there having to listen to it. Any way to take that sound out and just make it quiet without changing the sound levels in other areas?

From comments I see, it looks like most here install each update without mods. I have many mods that I can't do without so don't play that way. For me so far 1.5 has been a disaster with all my mods installed. Game is no longer playable after update. Crafts won't stay together on the launch pad and wooble like jelly sometimes falling apart and exploding right there on the pad without me doing anything. I have my work cut out for me now trying to find the mod (or more than one) that might be doing this. I'm not too happy of a space camper right now.

Every update the same story. People come here and complain their modded installs are not performing as before.

For Jebs sake, never mod the steam install directly. Copy your KSP elsewhere and mod and play this. It will not be affected by steam updates.

Keep your steam install pristine.

When you build a new install, only add mods that have been properly updated or are known to work in the corresponding version of KSP.

Please, save all here, users, devs, modders this ever re-occuring headache of the same complaints over and over again for each little update or patch. It makes me want to scream, and I am not even a modder myself.

cheers

Daf

I'm the only one with massive memory usage on this new update? 100% stock, not even ker installed and just playing around the vab and doing test launches with a simple 400 parts vehicle I get up to 12-13gb of ram usagebYJ4WsT.png

Also the vab/sph has become way more laggy and it freezes every few second or when manipulaing high partcount vehicles.

edit: It seems like disabling terrain scatter helps a lot. Now seeing 4-6gb~ of ram usage under the same circumstances. But this is the first time I've had to disable it for a 100% stock install in a long time.

Edited by lork

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't really know why it's off by default TBH. Doesn't really make much sense.

Maybe because people report it is a rather performance hungry feature. See the post of @DMagic above.

49 minutes ago, lork said:

I'm the only one with massive memory usage on this new update? 100% stock, not even ker installed and just playing around the vab and doing test launches with a simple 400 parts vehicle I get up to 12-13gb of ram usage

Also the vab/sph has become way more laggy and it freezes every few second or when manipulaing high partcount vehicles.

edit: It seems like disabling terrain scatter helps a lot. Now seeing 4-6gb~ of ram usage under the same circumstances. But this is the first time I've had to disable it for a 100% stock install in a long time.

Oh wow, that does not sound right. Hopefully a fixable issue.

Hard to see how terrain scatter affects the VAB/SPH performance so much, but there you go.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:55 AM, JPLRepo said:

That has been explained several times. It's not a bug. But what was done in 1.5 is the shrouded extendable panels now have separate crash tolerances when they are retracted.

I've never heard of one of these explanations? care to provide a link or recap?

It certainly seems like a big to me. Its reproducible, asymmetric, and specific to the mk3 cargoramp and not the mk3 cargo bay.

How is the behavior of retracted things breaking off (including science Jr, not just panels), in an asymmetric fashion when passing through the back of a mk3 part without being close to anything that other parts colide with, not a bug?

1 minute ago, KerikBalm said:

How is the behavior of retracted things breaking off (including science Jr, not just panels), in an asymmetric fashion when passing through the back of a mk3 part without being close to anything that other parts colide with, not a bug?

Yes, how? I dont get this either.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I don't really know why it's off by default TBH. Doesn't really make much sense.

3 hours ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Ok i'm probably being dippy, but how do people get the dV to show up during manoeuvres? It still has the same info as before to me.

It's only the "extended burn time" indicator that is off by default (you can also turn it on from the in-game settings menu). As far as I can tell this is just the thing that allows you to set the burn time split (50% of the burn before the node, 50% after, by default). The dV calculations and the little indicators on the maneuver node bar will show up regardless of whether that settings is turned on or not.

This is without extended mode, you can see the little "0" indicator to show that the burn can be finished with only the current stage:

jrVzrsE.png

This is with extended mode:

YG0eVkp.png

I don't know how much of an effect that "start burn" time has on performance, it obviously shouldn't have any in the VAB.

But the dV calculations are always running. I don't know how it runs on potato computers, but it does seem like there could be a noticeable impact on vessels with lots of stages.

13 hours ago, Thygrrr said:

That's not correct, this looks rather like they have a broken reflection probe; or forgot one; likely their multi camera system affects how far a reflection probe can look.

I've examined the scene hierarchy and render setup.  They are not using reflection probes at all currently, in any scene, and are only supplying pre-rendered cubmaps for the two editor scenes (which are being set through RenderSettings.defaultReflection).  It appears intentional that there are no reflections in flight, and in fact, nothing dynamic in the current system for environment map source.

Can't blame them though -- its a non-solvable problem in DX9, at a 'its broken in the Unity Engine' level.  Even if you added 'real time'/dynamic reflection probes to the scene, the cubemap convolution under DX9 makes the reflections look absolutely terrible and worse than the legacy shaders.

13 hours ago, micha said:

Fairly trivial to install DOS/Win3.11 in a VM these days...

Yep -- Pretty sure I have it running in DosBox... on my phone :)

6 hours ago, nestor said:

I can! We want to update a few more, so expect more news on that.

FANtastic news,and a GREAT Update -supercool fresh looking kerbals and parts,wheelfix.and soooo much other cool stuff,cant wait to see what comes next.

the whole helmet looks ( glass and reflections+++)faboulos

Very good Idea to make the changelog/news ingame accessable,to see how much u have done(some player oversee some changes[and ur amount of work], me included)like

pinning of PAWs and resource transfer for highlighted parts from Resources App

which seems also very helpful.

the first test with the wheels ls very promising,good work!

btw a little bit better colliders on the decouplers/separator inside could not too much ask for or?maybe the engines also needed a collider upgrade*

to build things like this:(techniclly would work beside the collidercrash on decoupling/staging),just a fast build to show the concept

Spoiler

98Mruei.pngwDZGxLK.pngswaMgKb.png

change the shoe sole profile .looks so much better than the running shoe profile!,now the fit with my footprinttexture-YEAH! a huge

Spoiler

yWVgFAQ.pngpqWIrvx.png

dtbdThq.png

@SQUAD