Ending 32-Bit Support with Update 1.5

UomoCapra

As our goal is to constantly improve upon and add more content to the game, we have decided to stop support of 32-bit KSP due to the memory limitations involving this version. If you are running 64-bit Windows and 32-bit KSP, you can move to 64-bit KSP without issue. For players running mods that only support the 32-bit version, note that they will no longer be compatible with KSP 1.5 and beyond.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

As our goal is to constantly improve upon and add more content to the game, we have decided to stop support of 32-bit KSP due to the memory limitations involving this version. If you are running 64-bit Windows and 32-bit KSP, you can move to 64-bit KSP without issue. For players running mods that only support the 32-bit version, note that they will no longer be compatible with KSP 1.5 and beyond.

Thanks!

Long time coming

2 hours ago, Atroner said:

Hello. The weekly today?

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

11 minutes ago, Atroner said:

Next 1.5 and not 1.4.5

I don't know what 1.5 and 1.4.5 have to do with it. They stated pretty clearly:

On 10/5/2018 at 2:35 PM, SQUAD said:

Finally, we want to let you know that this is going to be the last KSP Weekly in its current format

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

No sé qué tienen que ver 1.5 y 1.4.5 con eso. Declararon bastante claro:

¡Oh! Si, lo siento. Ya lo lei :sealed:

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I'm just coming back from Duna and I'm half confused with the news I'm sorry. 

you're right:sealed:

Edited by Atroner

6 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

...For players running mods that only support the 32-bit version, note that they will no longer be compatible with KSP 1.5 and beyond."

Which mods are 32-bit?  How can we tell if the mod maker does not denote that?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, jpkerman said:

Thanks.

I don't know specifically but I run exclusively 64 bit and have never, ever come across a mod that doesn't work with it. I didn't even know it was a thing until they said it here.

2 hours ago, jpkerman said:

Thanks.

I can only speculate that mods that do PInvoke to libraries compiled in 32 bits would be the issue. I can't imagine a pure C# choking by running in 64 bits.

Right now, the X-Input.dll came to my mind.

10 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

we have decided to stop support of 32-bit KSP

While you're busy culling superfluous stuff, how about also removing -and stopping KSP from auto-creating- all those empty unused directories in the main game directory? Internals, Parts, PluginData, Plugins, Resources. And that launcher that has been useless for a few versions now.

Btw, mod creators: this probably means that buildID.txt will be removed in favour of buildID64.txt. Time to adapt your check routines and ensure you look for the correct file.

7 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

While you're busy culling superfluous stuff, how about also removing -and stopping KSP from auto-creating- all those empty unused directories in the main game directory? Internals, Parts, PluginData, Plugins, Resources. And that launcher that has been useless for a few versions now.

Quoted because why in the world are they still there?

On 10/13/2018 at 1:38 AM, swjr-swis said:

Btw, mod creators: this probably means that buildID.txt will be removed in favour of buildID64.txt. Time to adapt your check routines and ensure you look for the correct file.

Having asked about this a long time ago, I've been told they were very very deeply anchored into how the game loader works. Something along the lines of them being harmless and that removing them could be more of a headache than anything. A bit like how a lot of old management systems are in COBOL but replacing them would be insanely expansive. Yknow, don't fix something that works. I guess.

Also... why not just use the Versioning class?

Edited by stupid_chris

On 10/13/2018 at 8:38 AM, swjr-swis said:

Internals, Parts, PluginData, Plugins, Resources. And that launcher that has been useless for a few versions now

I unironically use Resources for dumping telemetry from the mod. Emty folders don't take much space, so let them be, there'll always be someone with his workflow broken.

12 hours ago, Redneck said:

Heck yes! with vulkan API pretty much being a much better performing successor to OpenGL the performance gains would be phenomenal, best of all, it's also compatible with Linux so it could technically be the main API aswell

they'd have to upgrade to a newer version of unity however ( I think vulkan got implemented since 5.8, ksp is on 5.6)

3 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

A bit like how a lot of old management systems are in COBOL but replacing them would be insanely expansive.

Ahh that brings memories of wholesale Y2K conversions from mainframes to open systems. Makes me wonder why it would still be 'insanely expensive', in this day and age of almost limitless options for virtualization.

3 hours ago, stupid_chris said:

why not just use the Versioning class?

Don't get me wrong: I am not telling modders how to do their checks. I'm just reminding those who still check for buildID.txt that this may be about to no longer be an option.

1 hour ago, Boris-Barboris said:

I unironically use Resources for dumping telemetry from the mod.

Why would you purposely use a non-mod directory to save mod-specific telemetry? Aside from the general no-no of a plugin contaminating the host software's working directories and ignoring the general consensus -if perhaps not specifically mandated one- of saving mod files in the mod's own directory structure, you are exposing yourself to being 'evicted' by development decisions of the host software. I am generally very much in favour of avoiding breaking workflows, but this one in particular seems to be rather self-invoked.

19 minutes ago, swjr-swis said:

Why would you purposely use a non-mod directory to save mod-specific telemetry? Aside from the general no-no of a plugin contaminating the host software's working directories and ignoring the general consensus -if perhaps not specifically mandated one- of saving mod files in the mod's own directory structure, you are exposing yourself to being 'evicted' by development decisions of the host software. I am generally very much in favour of avoiding breaking workflows, but this one in particular seems to be rather self-invoked.

There is no official temp for mods outside of OS-provided temp (pita on windows), so I picked empty unused directory. No, this data does not belong to gamedata mod folder.