Ending 32-Bit Support with Update 1.5

UomoCapra

On 10/14/2018 at 11:25 PM, The_Cat_In_Space said:

RIP 32-bit KSP

You will always be in my heart, whether that be through framerate or crash logs

I remember trying to get a large number of RO mods working in 32 bit KSP. I don't miss it. I also remember, before going over to LInux, constantly saving and seeing if forcing OpenGL or DirectX 11 was better for saving RAM.

Edited by Wardstone111

32 minutes ago, WhereAmI said:

Will I be able to play 1.5 before the end of 2018?

We don't have enough information on your personal situation to accurately answer, but assuming you own the game and have internet access and a computer capable of running it... Then yes. You can play it now in fact.

4 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

What CPU did it have? I believe Intel stopped making 32-bit processors with the release of the Core 2 Duo.

i3 something, but it only have a 32-bit Win7 on top.

4 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

So the OS was 32-bit and the CPU was 64-bit?

Possibly, but it only shipped with a 2 GB RAM so it had only 32-bit Windows.

Even more bizzare is the laptop that I had in 2014 - Win 8 64-bit, how many RAMs ? 2 GB.

8 hours ago, YNM said:

Possibly, but it only shipped with a 2 GB RAM so it had only 32-bit Windows.

Even more bizzare is the laptop that I had in 2014 - Win 8 64-bit, how many RAMs ? 2 GB.

That is weird. I thought the Intel i series were all 64-bit. Maybe the manufacturer purchased 32-bit windows to save money, but that wouldn't explain the use of Windows 8 64-bit with only 2 GB of RAM. 

13 minutes ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

That is weird. I thought the Intel i series were all 64-bit. Maybe the manufacturer purchased 32-bit windows to save money, but that wouldn't explain the use of Windows 8 64-bit with only 2 GB of RAM. 

Nothing weird about it, Intel moved to 64-bit CPUs well before a 64-bit Windows appeared, same as before with the 16-to-32-bit transition and before that for the 8-to-16 one. Every time the explanation was that there was no use case (yet) for 'moar bits', but it would cost more (expensive) RAM and HDD, so let's not do it yet.

10 hours ago, YNM said:

That's not bizarre at all. The 64bit instruction set had more features and improvements than just adding more adressable memory.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

9 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

That's not bizarre at all.

It's very bizzare considering how much memory the base OS takes...

11 hours ago, SpaceCube2000 said:

I thought the Intel i series were all 64-bit. Maybe the manufacturer purchased 32-bit windows to save money, but that wouldn't explain the use of Windows 8 64-bit with only 2 GB of RAM

Well, the first one was probably meant for enterprise use (Thinkcentre), the latter is a very bizzare combination indeed (Lenovo ideapad 300, i'll see what the version is of both).

Anyway, yeah, KSP 32-bit was the thing I used on them.

Edited by YNM

On 10/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, UomoCapra said:

As our goal is to constantly improve upon and add more content to the game, we have decided to stop support of 32-bit KSP due to the memory limitations involving this version. If you are running 64-bit Windows and 32-bit KSP, you can move to 64-bit KSP without issue. For players running mods that only support the 32-bit version, note that they will no longer be compatible with KSP 1.5 and beyond.

Thanks!

Well that sucks. I my self own a 32 bit system with 2 GB of RAM and Windows 8.1 Enterprise. You would think that it would run pretty badly on this junk but im actualy getting stable 30 FPS all the time, and now, i have to stay playing on 1.4 or 1.3. But as long this makes the memory usage more optimized and improves the game for the most amount of people, I don't see a problem with this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 1:12 PM, Curveball Anders said:

Because some people are stuck with 32bit windows and don't want to pay for a new OS.

Except the keys don't care about 32 vs 64 bit.  You can use a key that came with a 32 bit Windows and use it to install 64 bit, and vice versa.

I think what you mean is that people are stuck with 32 bit hardware and can't afford / don't want to buy newer hardware.

15 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I think what you mean is that people are stuck with 32 bit hardware and can't afford / don't want to buy newer hardware.

The last Intel laptop CPUs that were 32 bit only were the Atom Lincroft line, back in 2010. For a 32 bit only desktop CPU you're going back to Pentium 4 hardware 5-6 years earlier. If you're still running KSP on kit of that vintage I'm... quietly impressed, actually.

12 hours ago, Geonovast said:

Except the keys don't care about 32 vs 64 bit.  You can use a key that came with a 32 bit Windows and use it to install 64 bit, and vice versa.

No, I wasn't aware the the keys was the same (dumped windows quite some time ago).

And I don't think very many still have 32b hardware, even if they think they have.

21 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

And I don't think very many still have 32b hardware, even if they think they have.

I still have multiple 32 bit PCs.  At least one of them still boots.  But they really aren't useful for anything more than a home file-server/firewall.  (And given their power consumption,  you are probably better off with something more modern, but with lower power consumption anyway).

I still have some 32 bits machines around, mainly for old games (I'm nostalgic, I like to play on the real thing). None of them address more than 3G of RAM, what makes their usefulness for KSP…. questionable. :) 

It's possible to trim down KSP 1.5.1 to run fine one a 32 bits machine, but this effort will pay off? You would have to maintain two production forks of the product, with the 64 bits fork subsiding the 32 bits one (affecting the profit!), as I doubt there're enough 32 bits users in the World to at least break even such a extra cost.

Unless, of course, someone decide that running KSP on a Raspberry Pi 3 would be a good idea. :D 

• 5 months later...

Now, when is 128 bit support coming?

Surely supercomputers and servers might want to run this game. If you aimed at making it run well on them you might deal with issues on other computer types! ;d

Edited by Arugela

1 hour ago, Arugela said:

Surely supercomputers and servers might want to run this game. If you aimed at making it run well on them you might deal with issues on other computer types! ;d

Except supercomputers don't use a 128-bit address space. Actually, supercomputer processors are, taken individually, typically lower performance than the CPUs you'd find in a good gaming rig. The trick with supercomputers is that they have a massive number of processors and extremely high inter-processor bandwidth, and get all of their performance advantages from extreme parallelization.

15 hours ago, Arugela said:

There're 256 and even 512 bits support on CPUs and GPUs nowadays - but on registers (but GPUs already do it on the data bus). You need to be more specific on what you mean.

Keep in mind that x86-64 uses only 40 bits for the adreess bus (ie, can adress up to 2^40 memory address).

High level computing doesn't necessarily "invests" on memory addressing,  but on data bus width. 

It's better for super computing to use a data bus with 128 bits and a address bus with 32 than vice versa - besides the raw ammount of memory being roughly the same.