Game locking when docking or switching vessels

Hi, everyone,

I'm having an issue that just started recently - when I switch vessels in the map view or the 'next vessel button,' or after docking two vessels, sometimes the game will lock and prevent me from doing anything. The game will be running, meaning the vessels will still be moving in their orbits or trajectories at their previous speed, but I can't adjust the throttle, or control the vessel, or even switch back to another vessel or even back to KSC.

Anyone have any idea right off what might be causing this? I have quite a few mods running, but I've never seen this before.

EDIT: GameData Folder

Edited by CaptainPanda

Have you had the issue multiple times? Occasionally, random errors like this will happen once and never be seen again.

What version are you using? Some editions are known to have weird freezy shenanigans.

Have you installed or updated any new mods recently? Even a little mod might make a difference.

Are there any other strange behaviors you have observed? These can be good warning signs and clarify the issue.

To upload an image, you can put it in Dropbox or Google Drive and provide a link to it, or you can create an account at an image hosting site like Imgur and upload it there. More details here.

Hope it gets fixed!

11 minutes ago, GearsNSuch said:

Have you had the issue multiple times? Occasionally, random errors like this will happen once and never be seen again.

I've had it happen multiple times on different vessels, although it's a little sporadic; sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I've had it as a persistent problem, though, with my Mun station. Every time I dock the final piece, it locks up, and I have to close the game to fix it. Re-opening the game brings me back to the previous save.

What version are you using? Some editions are known to have weird freezy shenanigans.

I'm running 1.4.3. Some of the mods I'm running have some minor compatibility issues, but I've been running the same ones for a while, now, and everything's been fine.

Have you installed or updated any new mods recently? Even a little mod might make a difference.

I tried to install Kethane a few days ago, but I got an error message that said it wouldn't work, so I removed it pretty quickly; I didn't even get into playing the game, just the menu screen.

Are there any other strange behaviors you have observed? These can be good warning signs and clarify the issue.

Nothing else that's jumping out at me. The game's running pretty smooth, otherwise.

Thanks for the help! I got the image to work, too!

Hm... Nothing in your mods folder particularly stands out to me (other than Kentucky Fried Chicken).

Thank you for your thorough answers to the questions; that really helps a lot!

So, my final analysis is that 1.4.3 is causing the issue. I seem to remember it had various lock-up problems. For example, using the "escape" button to close the settings menu would do precisely what you described. If mods allow, try upgrading to 1.4.5. If that doesn't help or you can't update, then try reproducing it without mods to see if its a stock issue.

Hope you can fix it!

15 hours ago, GearsNSuch said:

So, my final analysis is that 1.4.3 is causing the issue. I seem to remember it had various lock-up problems. For example, using the "escape" button to close the settings menu would do precisely what you described.

IIRC, that was an issue of 1.4.4. but I like the idea:

@CaptainPanda Have you already tried to remove the input locks manually when this happens? If not, please try it the next time:

Just open the debug menu (alt + F12 or ctrl + alt + F12) and navigate to the 'input locks' window. The window contains a big button to remove all active input locks. If this fixes your issue (at least temporary until it happens again), chances are good that it is a mod issue and you should post a log file, so we can take a closer look.

If you need help to locate the log file, take a look in this thread ;) (The log will be overwritten everytime you start the game so please be sure to upload a log that was created when the issue appeared ;) )

Of course, this can still be a stock issue like suggested by @GearsNSuch but in most cases, it is caused by a mod.

I did have this happen to me in 1.3.1 once.  This is probably not your cause, but since you have KIS/KAS installed...

Turns out the game really didn't like having struts just floating around in space.  I had removed some struts via KAS on EVA, and since I couldn't put them in the kerbal's inventory, they just floated about.  Game really didn't like that, and would do what you're suggesting after a bit.

Don't have any weird parts floating around as debris, do you?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.