Getting science data out of Mk 1 Crew Cabin

Either I got a little greedy with rescuing a kerbonaut from Mun orbit on the way to a landing or I just miscalculated the fuel, but I didn't have enough to make it back to Kerbal to rendezvous with my orbital lab and deposit the science, so I sent up a rescue ship. The rescue ship has a Mk I Crew Cabin and for whatever reason I put the scientist and his data in there. Now I'm back at the lab with the crew, can't get the data out of the crew cabin, and dumbly overwrote the save that could've let me back up to send him into the capsule. I tried EVAing next to the crew cabin but can't seem to get a "Take Data" option.

Is there a way to get data out of a Mk 1 Crew Cabin, or did I just hose myself out of a bunch of science?

Welcome to the forums.

Your EVA kerbal just wasn't floating close enough to the correct pod. An EVA kerbal can always get data out of any pod that has data in it.

However, the data is in the pod of the rescue ship where the scientist boarded the ship -- not where he ended up sitting for the return trip. So my guess is that's not the crew cabin. So the reason why the crew cabin didn't have a "take data" button is that the data is not in the crew cabin. It's in a different pod.

When a kerbal enters a ship, all the experiments they are carrying get immediately stripped from them and stored in the pod that they just entered.

Edited by bewing

Thanks. The data was actually in the crew cabin - when I sent the rescue ship I had the scientist board it directly. What I ended up having to do was to send him back into the capsule, EVA again, and then I was able to take the data from the crew cabin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.