Limited crew control why?

So I'm back here playing the pain simulator.

I can't find the reason why this happens. I went to eeloo with mk1 had no signal problems. The only thing I changed was the mk1 command pod for 2 mk1 landing cans so I can fly manned and rescue whatshisname

From the ksp wiki page "with CommNet enabled ... vessels without a Pilot require a link to a control source for full control"  

Probably you were getting full control around Kerbin when you set out (particularly if you are using a probe-core to boost a engineer or scientist's piloting ability), but moved out of signal range near Eeloo.  The CommNet option can be toggled on/off in the difficulty settings. 

The HG-5 is better than the Communotron 16, but neither of them can normally get signal all the way to Kerbin on their own from Eeloo according to the wiki.  Are you sure you weren't perhaps getting an assist from a relay antenna that is now out of position?  (For instance, a relay probe around Jool)

4 hours ago, jsisidore said:

I think I found the problem. The whatshisname piloting the vessel is an engineer, I assume they cannot plan maneuvers. So I will have to start over.

If you're felling brave, I believe you could edit the save file to make the kerbal in the pod a pilot instead of an engineer.

10 hours ago, jsisidore said:

I think I found the problem. The whatshisname piloting the vessel is an engineer, I assume they cannot plan maneuvers. So I will have to start over.

"Plan maneuver nodes" is not among the listed powers of pilots.  It's just SAS, prograde, retrograde, normal (+/-), radial (+/-), target (+/-), maneuver (aim towards). 

No offense intended, but are you completely sure you can't PLAN maneuvers in your manned and electrically powered vessel? 

Edited by FinalFan
more differentiation between hold maneuver and plan maneuver

12 hours ago, FinalFan said:

"Plan maneuver nodes" is not among the listed powers of pilots.  It's just SAS, prograde, retrograde, normal (+/-), radial (+/-), target (+/-), maneuver (aim towards). 

No offense intended, but are you completely sure you can't PLAN maneuvers in your manned and electrically powered vessel? 

Problem solved, engineers can't do maneuver nodes. Only pilots or mission control if there is a signal. whoopdeedoo.

Edited by jsisidore

18 hours ago, Geonovast said:

If you're felling brave, I believe you could edit the save file to make the kerbal in the pod a pilot instead of an engineer.

It took me a whole day to install mechjeb2. Once I was really good at editing and modding stuff, but now my brain simply rebels against any kind of virtual complexity,. I sold my laptop and lasted 6 months just with a phone and tablet. I'm extremely tired of bickering with technology.

41 minutes ago, Jimmidii said:

You should be aware that sometimes you need two pilots to provide control to probes without a link back to KSC, and might need a direct (non-relayed) connection.

It's listed in the probe information, but there's a list here too.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Probe_Control_Point

Thanks I didn't know that, I would always use pilot/engineer/scientist.

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

Or you could send a couple *good* relay mini-sats on the way, or a 'remote control point' pod with a pilot, a big probe core and a good relay towards your engineer, to give him range.

But then I would have to learn how relays work, and they probably have nothing in common with how real relays work.

3 hours ago, jsisidore said:

Thanks I didn't know that, I would always use pilot/engineer/scientist.

But then I would have to learn how relays work, and they probably have nothing in common with how real relays work.

Relays work pretty simply - if the relay antenna is in range of KSC, any antenna (including relays) in range of the relay antenna is considered "in range of KSC" (and shares this property further.)

Designing clever constellations of satellites that always "see" each other and at least one sees the KSC is a big exercise and a game of its own.  For your purposes, you don't need that really.

Now pt. 2. a craft with: a) a command pod with the "control point" property, with the required number of pilots on board (usually 1), b) the big probe core,  and c) a relay antenna, provides the same functionality as KSC regarding relay networks - ability to control craft without pilot remotely; obviously first hop range depends on the quality of the relay antenna installed. It doesn't need connectivity to KSC - and it is controllable (because it has a pilot on board.)

On 10/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, Sharpy said:

Relays work pretty simply - if the relay antenna is in range of KSC, any antenna (including relays) in range of the relay antenna is considered "in range of KSC" (and shares this property further.)

Designing clever constellations of satellites that always "see" each other and at least one sees the KSC is a big exercise and a game of its own.  For your purposes, you don't need that really.

Now pt. 2. a craft with: a) a command pod with the "control point" property, with the required number of pilots on board (usually 1), b) the big probe core,  and c) a relay antenna, provides the same functionality as KSC regarding relay networks - ability to control craft without pilot remotely; obviously first hop range depends on the quality of the relay antenna installed. It doesn't need connectivity to KSC - and it is controllable (because it has a pilot on board.)

I wish this game had a tutorial on how to build a relay network so that I would just chill because this game is more work than play.

Edited by jsisidore
lack of attention

No tutorial needed, no fancy constellations required.

I play with the ground stations turned off which is harder and I still don't worry about that stuff.

Just slap some relay dishes on some probes and send them up, eventually you'll have so many overlapping connections, you'll have a network. It's really not as hard as it may sound.

BTW, you really, really don't need fancy stuff. There was a guy who sent a big rocket with a couple hundred small relay sats somewhere between Vall and Laythe Then he spun it up, and released all these probes, ejecting them all in random directions. Many fell to Jool or Tylo, but more got random gravity assists and were sent all over the system on random trajectories. Instant system-wide relay network!

On 10/20/2018 at 4:01 AM, Sharpy said:

BTW, you really, really don't need fancy stuff. There was a guy who sent a big rocket with a couple hundred small relay sats somewhere between Vall and Laythe Then he spun it up, and released all these probes, ejecting them all in random directions. Many fell to Jool or Tylo, but more got random gravity assists and were sent all over the system on random trajectories. Instant system-wide relay network!

Now, THAT is something worth trying.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.