Chandra X-ray Observatory shut down...

Cassel

It's clear that aliens are shutting down our capabilities as a start for an invasion.
After all, isn't the next end of the world about to happen? There are so many of them I keep losing track.

Alternatively, IIRC Hubble is about 30, and Chandra almost 20 years old. Hardware breaks down. With so many observatories and space related hardware around, I'd be surprised if no coincidental timing was ever recorded.

5 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

We've got TESS but that's a different kind of telescope entirely.

Just for the NASA, and in the department of Chandra, HETE-2 and NuSTAR could potentially help to keep a good rate of data.

Also, could it be the occasion for Newton to get back the enthusiasts interest? If I remember correctly, it is as old as Chandra.

21 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

Just for the NASA, and in the department of Chandra, HETE-2 and NuSTAR could potentially help to keep a good rate of data.

Also, could it be the occasion for Newton to get back the enthusiasts interest? If I remember correctly, it is as old as Chandra.

Wow... I looked up Newton because I had no idea what it was and went down a giant Wikipedia rabbit hole... I had no idea that the ESA had so many active and planned science missions!

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I had no idea that the ESA had so many active and planned science missions!

ESA focuses most of its budget into scientific probes.

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Could it be the occasion for Newton to get back the enthusiasts interest?

XMM-Newton is still active right ?

Edited by YNM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.