How about a 1.875 SRB?

This is just my new account, so I don't need any "welcome to the forums" comments

So a few days ago, I was hanging out, thinking about how to solve the problem of larger SRBs. Then an Idea came to me: instead of large 2.5 meter ones, what about 1.875 (in the middle) SRBs? I then thought of a great look and idea to go for: What about the titan 3-E rocket SRBs:

titan3ed.gif

The titan 3-E had a central LR-87 engine (We have it as the Bobcat in making history). The two side SRBs are what would be added. It had a LR-91 second stage (cheetah). It also had a third stage (concealed by the fairing) with two RL-10s. The point I'm trying to make here is that It would go along well with current themed parts, along with other purposes. 

Now what did the titan 3E do that is memorable? Isn't this just a boring rocket that did boring things? No. This rocket launched two amazing firsts: Voyager 1&2 with too many records to count (Including one on the spacecraft!) and Viking 1&2, the first probes to land on mars! 

voyager_update.jpg

PIA09703.jpg

This is a pretty historic rocket, so It solves many problems at once. With these side boosters, you could recreate the first landings on mars and Voyager far better, and use it on everything from better looking space shuttles or just as "larger SRBs"

-Kerano Kerman

I'm all for MOAR 1.875m parts. And I agree, the typical SRB of the Titan 3-E would blend in well with the rest.

As for 1.875m parts in general. If a new form factor of parts is added into the game I think it's collection should be complete. That means it should consist out of all the part variety options 1.25m, 2.5m and 3.75m has. Currently that is not the case and there are mods that cover this and I will use them anyday. I just think if squad starts on something it should be released as a complete package.

I can't help but think that this proposition goes against Kerballest of the kerbal's rule of thumb "MOAR BUSTERS", even though it would be quite convenient. About the 0.625 booster, though, it is a sacrilege to even think about it. When did a SMALLER BOOSTER become a solution for anything? Nononononono, that's not the kerbal way.

Edited by BadLeo

5 hours ago, BadLeo said:

I can't help but think that this proposition goes against Kerballest of the kerbal's rule of thumb "MOAR BUSTERS", even though it would be quite convenient. About the 0.625 booster, though, it is a sacrilege to even think about it. When did a SMALLER BOOSTER become a solution for anything? Nononononono, that's not the kerbal way.

You see, a smaller booster means we can put moar of them on the rocket.

15 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

13 hours ago, qzgy said:

Also means we can make more fireworks.

Well, in that case WHERE ARE MUH .625 BOOSTERS???

Edited by BadLeo

18 hours ago, Bill Phil said:

EXACTLY!

Also (when using the same fuel) a smaller radius booster of the same length will create the same amount of thrust for a shorter amount of time.  Yeah for science!  It's perfect for that massive off the pad TWR that is so Kerbal!    Furthermore, thinner, means less drag!

However, yes, why not both?!  1.8 sized would be perfect for attaching to the sides of our behemoth rockets.

Edited by Ruedii
Yeah, and why not both?!

On 10/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, BadLeo said:

Ever got an spaceplane which didn't have enough thrust or lift to break the sound barrier? attach a couple of small srbs (or hey, not so small!) to the wingtips and activate them to from match 0.98 to match 1.15

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.