Bridging USI and WBI

RocketSquid

So, I'm playing a game with both the USI suite of mods and the WBI suite of mods. This presents two problems for me:

• MKS's habitation system means that WBI habitats won't work for long term habitation
  • The only life support mod compatible with both is TACLS, and I don't want that level of difficulty

Is there any way to bridge between the two other than writing my own MM patches?

26 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Unless someone else has done it, you'd have to write your own, or petition the authors to write some. If you put the time in and write your own, please post them as a seperate mod or submit them to the mod authors for the rest of the community to enjoy!

Hmm, on inspection it doesn't seem quite as difficult as I expected.

USI-LS/MKS habitation:

In theory the greenhouse module that WBI uses can just as easily produce Supplies instead of Snacks. Replace some of the recyclers with USI style recyclers, fiddle with the numbers a bit, and you'd have a workable if not entirely balanced patch.

Adapting to the colonization system is a bit trickier but it would be really nice to have alternatives to some of the MKS parts, which can be difficult to transport.

Currently what I'm thinking:

• Where Snacks would have a soil recycler put a USI recycler, capacity unchanged, efficiency varies depending on the part
  • Where Snacks would have a greenhouse, also have a greenhouse, set the output to supplies, change the input to include... mulch? Dirt? Substrate? More fertilizer? Something for balance. Or maybe not; after all, the WBI greenhouse module has a variable yield and a long cultivation timer. Perhaps the reduced input would come with a risk of running out after a weak harvest.
  • Add hab modules to certain parts/templates, most notably ones with Hab in the name and ones that mention being comfortable.
  • Maybe add a medbay setup to the Doc?

Snacks:

This is probably the easier of the two, since Snacks is overall rather less complex than USI-LS. Simply replace any USI-LS recyclers with Snacks recyclers, and tell the agriculture modules to produce supplies and consume mulch if needed.

A couple of thoughts.

You can disable habitation in USI-LS

You can add some habitation patches to the WBI parts,  In theory they should be able to handle similar habitation for their size as USI inflatables.

In terms of difficulty TAC-LS is not nearly as difficult as USI-LS, especially when factoring in habitation.  Don't confuse more resources with more difficulty.

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

A couple of thoughts.

You can disable habitation in USI-LS

You can add some habitation patches to the WBI parts,  In theory they should be able to handle similar habitation for their size as USI inflatables.

In terms of difficulty TAC-LS is not nearly as difficult as USI-LS, especially when factoring in habitation.  Don't confuse more resources with more difficulty.

Yeah, I'm realizing now that TAC-LS might be an easier option, but also I kinda want to do this for its own sake. When I started this thread I thought that TAC permanently killed kerbals but I've checked and it turns out you can turn that off. I still like the habitation mechanic, though, since without it I basically never rotate my crews.

11 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Snacks is also entirely optional. You'd have to write some USI patches for USI-LS to add life support templates, but it's doable. And if you end up with a set of patches, you can even make it a Play Mode. :)

Oh, yeah, that didn't even occur to me. A play mode could go even further than what I originally had in mind, maybe even making the WBI parts balanced with MKS's complex supply chain.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:11 PM, RocketSquid said:

A play mode could go even further than what I originally had in mind, maybe even making the WBI parts balanced with MKS's complex supply chain.

I'd like to see what you come up with, and good luck.

Preliminary research: Each WBI hab/lab/factory has a USI part it is close to in size, with a couple exceptions

The 1.875m parts from MOLE are the smallest in the bunch, and they're each a bit smaller than a duna module.

The next sizes up are the Casa, Ponderosa, Doc, and pretty much all of the inline nautilus cabins, which are about the same volume as a duna module

Next, the D2 cabins, about 2/5 of a 3.75m tundra module, the Nautilus centrifuge, which charitably has about the same volume as a 3.75m tundra module but has gravity, and the Nautilus centrifuge, which is about the size of three 2.5m tundra modules, but could probably be placed in the same league as the USI centrifuge

Then come the Hacienda and BOW, both slightly smaller than a 3.75m tundra module.

Next the Homestead Mk3, which is a fair bit bigger than a 3.75m tundra module.

Finally of course we have the Hogan, which is gargantuan. You could fit nine, maybe ten 3.75m tundra modules in there with room to spare.

As for the buffalo and bison parts, buffalo is pretty directly comparable to the Malemute, while the Bison is directly comparable to the Karibou and thus the duna with the exception of the cockpits; both are around half the size of the karibou cockpit if that matters.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.