[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

what exactly is the trigger to check for control surface failure?

for example: is it checked on a timer or only when a control surface is used.  and if it is only when used will just setting the control surface authority limiter to zero, and thus preventing the surface from moving, prevent a control surface from failing?  or is it the act of trying to move regardless of the actual motion that causes the failure?  

and in any of the above cases, will this mod prevent the check for failure, and thus limit control surfaces from failing while in space?

as a suggestion then.  when you get around to fixing this one up for 1.4.1 maybe look into this.   and if it is an easy change make the random check only happen if the part is currently in use.  so if we carry a spare reaction wheel for instance, we can keep it turned off.  then if the primary fails we can turn on the spare.  or like in my previous post if we prevent the control surface from moving while in space they will not fail during this time.

not sure on all the particulars as I have not really looked into the KSP API for modding.  but I would assume at the time of the random check you could look to see if a surface was at some position other than zero, or if a reaction wheel was producing torque, or an engine is producing thrust etc.   I do not know all the parts that are checked, but I would assume there is some parameter that can be looked at to quickly determine if it is in use.

On 25/03/2018 at 10:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Parts can fail even when not being used.

Im pretty sure it’s just a random thing, but I dont have time to dig into the code right now

Maybe a future feature (I know you already are superbusy, but it doesn't hurt to suggest) would be a GUI for the failures. As it is, it is not always possible to hear the sound alert and easily find the part that is malfunctioning. Sometimes it is indeed impossible, as not all parts glow in the appropriate yellow/red warning, some are embedded inside other parts, some are too tiny to see etc. Without knowing which part is malfunctioning, its impossible to interact with it, to turn the alarm off. A simple GUI accessible by a toolbar button would solve that. 

17 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

but it doesn't hurt to suggest

Actually, right now it does

17 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

A simple GUI accessible by a toolbar button would solve that. 

Not quite as simple as you may think.

Post an issue on Github, so it doesn't get lost

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Actually, right now it does

Not quite as simple as you may think.

Post an issue on Github, so it doesn't get lost

The GUI could be a simple one. Doing it,  I am sure,  is not simple. That's what I meant,  as I am sure you know already. Boy,  does it take some finesse to say anything here! I bow to your mod-creating awesomeness,  always! :wink:

15 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

The GUI could be a simple one. Doing it,  I am sure,  is not simple. That's what I meant,  as I am sure you know already. Boy,  does it take some finesse to say anything here! I bow to your mod-creating awesomeness,  always! :wink:

Well, yes, I didn't mean to say it that way.  But, it's amazing how people think a simple change should just take a few minutes, when in reality there is a lot of work going on in the background.

Anyway, I'll think about it

8 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Well, yes, I didn't mean to say it that way.  But, it's amazing how people think a simple change should just take a few minutes, when in reality there is a lot of work going on in the background.

Anyway, I'll think about it

Hehe. I am sure its a lot of work,  specially for a veritable curator like yourself,  who decided to patreon dozens of semi-abandoned mods. Here's saluting at you!

PS: "hooligan labs airships". Another orfan looking for a foster home, wink-wink,  nudge-nudge.

25 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

PS: "hooligan labs airships". Another orfan looking for a foster home, wink-wink,  nudge-nudge.

No it doesn’t, it is atill supported, see this thread:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/49443-airships-in-13-hooliganlabs-mods/&page=53

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble using Dang It!....the in-flight GUI offers the "inspect" option for a failed part, but when I click the button nothing happens.  It also doesn't offer a "repair" option for the failed battery.  As far as I can tell the other functionality of the mod is working...routine maintenance, replace insulation, clean engines etc.  And for this failed battery it offered a "replace battery" option, but that didn't fix the battery (it still held zero charge).

I have USI-LS installed, and KAS/KIS, along with a handful of other mods that I don't think would affect Dang It!...docking port alignment, EVE, Mechjeb, Trajectories, Chatterer.

Any ideas....?

19 hours ago, KBluey said:

I'm having trouble using Dang It!....the in-flight GUI offers the "inspect" option for a failed part, but when I click the button nothing happens.  It also doesn't offer a "repair" option for the failed battery.  As far as I can tell the other functionality of the mod is working...routine maintenance, replace insulation, clean engines etc.  And for this failed battery it offered a "replace battery" option, but that didn't fix the battery (it still held zero charge).

I have USI-LS installed, and KAS/KIS, along with a handful of other mods that I don't think would affect Dang It!...docking port alignment, EVE, Mechjeb, Trajectories, Chatterer.

Any ideas....?

Lets start off with a log file.  I understand you have problems, but you didn't give any significant info, such as which version of KSP, which version of the mod, etc.  The log file will provide all of that

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Lets start off with a log file.  I understand you have problems, but you didn't give any significant info, such as which version of KSP, which version of the mod, etc.  The log file will provide all of that

There doesn't seem to be a way to upload files in this forum, so here's my log file as a spoiler, which I hope will keep the length of the post down....please let me know if there's a better way to do this.   I installed Dang It! using CKAN btw.

[Gargantuan browser-destroying log file deleted by moderator]

Edited by Snark
Huge pasted log file removed by moderator

2 hours ago, KBluey said:

There doesn't seem to be a way to upload files in this forum, so here's my log file as a spoiler, which I hope will keep the length of the post down....please let me know if there's a better way to do this.   I installed Dang It! using CKAN btw.

Hi KBluey,

Thanks for providing a log file, but please don't paste big log files directly into the forum.  The huge content can bring browsers to their knees, especially for people on mobile browsers such as phones.  Note that putting the content in a spoiler does not help because the browser tries to download the log even if the spoiler's not opened.  Accordingly, I've removed the log spoiler from your message.

So, when you need to share something really big... don't paste it here.  Instead, upload it to some third-party file sharing site (like dropbox or whatever), and then post a link to it here.  That will let people get access to your content, without strangling their web browsers when they try to read this page.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Okay, second time lucky.  I didn't know about Dropbox but that's pretty neat. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8febxtpuv9npgr/KSP.log?dl=0

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, KBluey said:

Any ideas....?

Also -- if I'm recalling correctly, the "inspect" triggers a message that shows up in the alert list,  not a screen popup.

On 6/5/2018 at 5:27 AM, kurgut said:

Hi, thanks for this great mod!

Is entropy still compatible/needed in 1.3.1 ?

And, is kerbal launch failure compatible too?

thanks a lot :)

Entropy is not needed, and probably not compatible anymore, no one is maintaining it.

As far as I know, KLF is compatible

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Entropy is not needed, and probably not compatible anymore, no one is maintaining it.

As far as I know, KLF is compatible

Yes thanks Linux, I tried with KLF and works fine, and I'm currently testing with Testflight also :)

First, let me say I love this mod. I play a strict rules-based soapbox. This mod is and has been a major part of my gaming since it was first released.  Huge thanks to Linuxgurugamer for keeping it going.  With that said, it looks like I'm having the same issue as Kbluely and Saul Retav. Parts fail, but I don't get the option to repair. Almost lost a station crew last night as their return vehicle sprung several leaks and then life support started to fail on the station.  

Anyhoo, I'm running 1.4.3 with the Making History DLC, 64-bit with forced d3d11. Dangit is version 0.7.17  Here's my log file. Hope it helps to troubleshoot my issue.   Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1h9iqv2cmlrt6x/KSP.log?dl=0