[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, Watchboy52 said:

So I seem to be having an issue where certain parts tend to lag when I'm in the VAB/SPH. I saw someone else seemed to have a similar issue earlier, however in my case the fps drop occurs with only a single part, but it seems to be inconsistant as only certain parts seem to cause the drop, those being select crew capsuals (mostly modded) and the Mk1 structual fuselage of all things, but none of the command pods seem to lag at all, as it did in their case.

I'm not too sure about their conslusion about it being only related to mod count, seeing as the fps drop only ocurrs when DangIt is installed, not to mention I'm currently running a rather "small" modpack, running only about 30 actual part packs (normaly I'm looking at 50+ part packs), so I'm not conviced it's only due to a large number of parts loaded, as I am very familar with that type of lag, and this is not that.

Would help to have more info, such as, log file, names of parts where you are observing the FPS drop, HOW you are seeing the fps drop, etc

• 1 month later...

@linuxgurugamer Thought you'd like to know that your versions 0.0.8 and 0.0.8.1 of Space Tux Library broke Dang It. With Space Tux Library 0.0.6.1 all is well, but with 0.0.8 or 0.0.8.1 Dang It fails to load into the game. Here's my log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13udwmGImdwtPHPHLxq1PKNgu5GdtvpIi/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

37 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

@linuxgurugamer Thought you'd like to know that your versions 0.0.8 and 0.0.8.1 of Space Tux Library broke Dang It. With Space Tux Library 0.0.6.1 all is well, but with 0.0.8 or 0.0.8.1 Dang It fails to load into the game. Here's my log file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13udwmGImdwtPHPHLxq1PKNgu5GdtvpIi/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Dang It, I thought I fixed that.

I’ll get it fixed this evening, if not sooner.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears this mod throws an error when loading in for the most recent version of the game.  It appears the last github upload was from 2015... anywhere I can get a more recent copy manually? I dont use ckan.

Edit:  nevermind... looks like theres a more recent version on spacedock

Edited by GrimT

On 3/21/2023 at 5:40 PM, GrimT said:

It appears this mod throws an error when loading in for the most recent version of the game.  It appears the last github upload was from 2015... anywhere I can get a more recent copy manually? I dont use ckan.

Oh so one should avoid ckan and the like? I recently reinstalled everything and dangit felt off.

On 3/21/2023 at 4:40 PM, GrimT said:

You really should say what you are doing.  My guess is that you are running KSP  1.12.5, and DangIt was listed as max for 1.12.4.  It works fine in 1.12.5, and CKAN works fine with it as well.

In CKAN,  go to Settings->Compatible Game Versions, and select at least the 1.12 line, I'd also recommend selecting 1.9-1.12, as most if not all mods for those earlier versions will work on 1.12.5

2 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Oh so one should avoid ckan and the like? I recently reinstalled everything and dangit felt off.

No, CKAN is still the best way to install my mods

• 1 month later...

Hey,

If I'd like every kerbal, of every level to repair a part, should I just delete those 2 lines in the configs ?

PerksRequirementName = Engineer
        PerksRequirementValue = 1

Also about the "MaxServicingTemp = 400" found in settings.cfg : Does this define the part's max temp above which it will take durability losses ?
Couldn't find the info on the wiki (or missed it ^^)

Edited by kurgut

On 5/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, kurgut said:

If I'd like every kerbal, of every level to repair a part, should I just delete those 2 lines in the configs ?

PerksRequirementName = Engineer
        PerksRequirementValue = 1

Yes

On 5/7/2023 at 10:48 PM, kurgut said:

Also about the "MaxServicingTemp = 400" found in settings.cfg

Part temp has to be less than or equal to this temperature to service

• 2 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

Two people in the past (@Watchboy52 @WhitestWizard) have posted about DangIt FPS drops, I was even messaged by someone (on the forum about troubleshooting the 'FPS drops with certain parts in the editor but not in game'; he later figured out it was DangIt. 

I am also having the same issue.

The parts usually seem to be parts that are cargobays or specific command pods, but the only overlap I can find is that all offending parts contain the DangIt resource SpareParts. 

The FPS drop is not consistent with a memory leak or anything usually seen with having a huge amount of mods, not only does the problem not persist in any scene besides the editor when the parts are in-scene, they go away as soon as the part is no longer in-scene (i.e. either a placed part or an unplaced hologram).

For example, an experiment I did was to place every command pod in a scene. Despite the FPS drop being noticeable within 3 parts placed (to the point that the video was no longer smooth at ~10 fps), after placing every single pod my game was running at 1 FPS and it took a few seconds of holding down LMB for a click to register. Doing this same experiment with a part that does not contain SpareParts will have no FPS drop whatsoever, despite the SPH being filled with a sea of Mainsail engines (for example).

In fact, sorting the parts by resource (Advanced>Filter by Resource>SpareParts), any part in this menu will cause the FPS drop problem, while any part that isn't in this menu will not.

Stock parts I can 100% say have an effect: 

N.B. I have tested these and they are all affected by this bug, although some parts have more of an impact than others (this may just be placebo, as you're more likely to put down multiple cargobays and only one pod for instance, so you may not notice that it's also the pod)

• All cargobays
  • All manned command pods (cores do not carry SpareParts and so do not affect FPS)

Can provide log if you'd like

8 hours ago, Hastonian said:

In fact, sorting the parts by resource (Advanced>Filter by Resource>SpareParts), any part in this menu will cause the FPS drop problem, while any part that isn't in this menu will not.

Ok, so as a test, please remove the file:  DangIt/ModuleManager/SpareParts.cfg

and see if it happens.  There are other things being added, would like to see if this can be isolated a bit

and please provide a log file, not sure if that's going to help, but can't hurt

On 5/23/2023 at 10:52 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so as a test, please remove the file:  DangIt/ModuleManager/SpareParts.cfg

and see if it happens.  There are other things being added, would like to see if this can be isolated a bit

and please provide a log file, not sure if that's going to help, but can't hurt

Deleting it removes the issue.

Log File

It's a clean instance with only DangIt and dependencies installed (There are some artifacts in the log from my main KSP instance however, although I really doubt this affects this bug), the effect was not as noticeable due to the simplicity; placing enough SpareParts-containing parts still resulted in a measurable frame drop just like before, though.  

1 hour ago, Hastonian said:

Deleting it removes the issue.

Log File

It's a clean instance with only DangIt and dependencies installed (There are some artifacts in the log from my main KSP instance however, although I really doubt this affects this bug), the effect was not as noticeable due to the simplicity; placing enough SpareParts-containing parts still resulted in a measurable frame drop just like before, though.  

This is very odd, because the spare part by themselves don't do anything, it's just another resource.  DangIt doesn't load any code in the editor either.

I've been able to replicate the issue, although I needed to add something like 200 pods (I have a very fast system)

I'll see what I can do, I do see how it can be annoying

Edit:  I found the problem, but will take a bit to fix

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So I've been tinkering for the last couple of days to get DangIt! to work with a few other mods I have installed (mainly NearFuture/TAC/KeridianDynamics) and I'm wondering, is there any way to get leaky tanks on parts that use B9PartSwitch?

My guess is not, but I figured I'd ask here.

I am running the latest version of everything, as installed manually, and can provide any logs/modlist/custom patches I've written as requested.

P.S. Is ModuleDecouplerReliability just not functional? I tried removing the ".disabled" from the file extension and even writing a new patch to enable it, but all Decouplers still show as "This part is made to last" upon reloading the game. MMPatch.log even indicates my patch is being applied to various modules.

EDIT: It works with NearFutureSolar, and I think I know why. With the other NearFuture packs, there are full Switcher and TankType files defining their various possible fuels, which makes mod compatibility easier, but also deletes the existing Resource nodes along the way.

NearFutureSolar on the other hand uses B9's ability so edit modules instead of switching them, so the existing ModuleDepolaybleSolarPanel is still there for DangIt! to find and throw a wrench at.

So basically I guess I have to decide if I'd rather write a patch to somehow fix the tanks, which seems...laborious, or just remove Tank failures and be happy with all the other possible deep space catastrophes.

EDIT 2: It seems that DangIt! is actually applying the ModuleTankReliabilityModuleTank to at least some of the B9 fuel tanks I have in game, because I was able to use the "Puncture Tank" option once loaded onto the pad, though the parts still show as "made to last" in the VAB.

I'm going to keep testing it as I fine tune the patches I've made so far, but my initial worry that it would not be feasible to add DangIt! modules to parts that didn't have them seems to be unwarranted.

Now to find out how unwilling Coolant failures and System Heat are to play nice, and if Generator failures works on Resource Converters and Harvesters!

Edited by ScooperDoodle

• 2 months later...

What experience level my engineers must have to be able fix parts? I started new career, have engineer level 2 and when i click command pod i don't see option "take spares" (if i try it in sandbox, where all kerbals have maximum level i see that option).

In my old career (which i deleted,  so can't check it) i don't remember i had this problem, but probably it was because i had enough experienced engineers. From start i can't level up engineer more as is level 3, is it enough?

And btw i tried disable "check experience" in setup and nothing changed. Looks like a bug to me.

Edited by JeromeHeretic