[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

Is there a way to remove the part lifetimes that guarantee no failure for a specific amount of time, thus guaranteeing the chance of any part on a craft failing?

Also, do said lifetimes count for both focused and unfocused time passing, or only the time when you are zoomed in on the craft?

1 hour ago, Pavel ☭ said:

Is there a way to remove the part lifetimes that guarantee no failure for a specific amount of time, thus guaranteeing the chance of any part on a craft failing?

Also, do said lifetimes count for both focused and unfocused time passing, or only the time when you are zoomed in on the craft?

Any part can fail at any time - example: Tanks have an MBTF of 350400 hours but my 350-part-ish ssto (loads of MK-1 LF tanks) had one tank failure on its way to orbit recently. The chance of a tank failure (leak) at launch is just very slim, opposed to when the craft is older e.g. a 17 year old craft with two thud engines failed within 30 seconds usually (at least one of them).

Lifetime counts for unfocused time as well - said 17 year old craft was not focused (landed next to the KSC monolith, while I was timewarping in the KSC). Technically it might have been in physics range but that would not have made a difference.

Only thing is that parts can not fail if the craft is not focused. So if you send your probe out of the solar system and come back to it after 100 years it will still be intact - for a second or two at least ;-)

Probably not using the latest release (but updating, so it could be already addressed), I just wanna ask a question:

... is it possible to make the failure glowing "disappear", when the game GUI is turned off as the same disappear the green "selection" glowing?

It's definitely an help during gameplay, but if at the same time in case of a clean screenshot having a part of a craft painted in red is... uhm... not looking good...

2 hours ago, Araym said:

Probably not using the latest release (but updating, so it could be already addressed), I just wanna ask a question:

... is it possible to make the failure glowing "disappear", when the game GUI is turned off as the same disappear the green "selection" glowing?

It's definitely an help during gameplay, but if at the same time in case of a clean screenshot having a part of a craft painted in red is... uhm... not looking good...

Definitely possible, but I'll need to think about it, because some people might want it during a screenshot.

10 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Could we then simply implement an option to toggle it? Everybody gets what they want!

Yes, but it has to be done correctly.

With 1.3 coming, I'll see if I can get to it, but I created an issue on Github to track it

New release, 0.7.11:

•     Thanks to EugeneButrik, removing unnecessary and old functions
  •     Added option to disable failed part glowing when F2 is pressed
  •     Fixed bug where if a part can have multiple parts, the highlighting wouldn't consistently work.  This happens on SRBs (maybe others)
  •     Fixed typo in SRBs_enginesFX.cfg and in SRBs.cfg
  •     Fixed bug  when manual fails are allowed, the buttons weren't always set properly (they should just show Fail)
Edited by linuxgurugamer

Hello, i am using the B9 HX parts to build a starship and i am getting a Nullreference error when i have "HX2-UH Hollow Structural Module" on the ship in FLIGHT MODE ONLY so not in any other mode. It looks to me like the spares thing is causing the error but i could be wrong

[Gargantuan forum-paralyzing browser-destroying multi-megabyte log post deleted by moderator]

Edited by Snark
Huge logs removed

Is the resource used to make repairs switchable in any way? I wanted to combine this with UKS by adding SpareParts as a production option there, but if there is a simple "repair_resource = SpareParts" line in some DangIt! config that I just haven't found, it might be simpler to just use the MaterialKits UKS can already produce.

I have removed DangIt! from my gamedata folder but parts still show a Spareparts resource, the NullReference spam has dissapeared from the hx part though, i'd still like to use DangIt! so i will have to find some solution to my problem, maybe DangIt! has an exclusion list for parts?

1 hour ago, Satlock said:

I have removed DangIt! from my gamedata folder but parts still show a Spareparts resource, the NullReference spam has dissapeared from the hx part though, i'd still like to use DangIt! so i will have to find some solution to my problem, maybe DangIt! has an exclusion list for parts?

It's probabaly a missing MM config, can you list the link to the mod in question?

On 3/19/2017 at 3:55 AM, Satlock said:

Hello, i am using the B9 HX parts to build a starship and i am getting a Nullreference error when i have "HX2-UH Hollow Structural Module" on the ship in FLIGHT MODE ONLY so not in any other mode. It looks to me like the spares thing is causing the error but i could be wrong

Hi @Satlock, and welcome to the forums!

Thanks for trying to be helpful by providing log files.  Lots of times, mod authors need those log files for diagnosing problems, so it's great that you were trying to provide them.

However, please be aware that posting log file content in the forum itself causes big problems for people.  It can make browsers crash, and bring internet connections to their knees.  It can be especially bad for anyone using a mobile device to view the forums.

Therefore, if you need to provide a log file in the future, please post the log file somewhere else (for example, on some public file-sharing service such as dropbox, Google Drive, or whatever), and then just link to it from your forum post, instead of actually putting it in the forum post.

(If you've already looked at the log file yourself, and you have found a small piece of it that you think is relevant, then of course it's okay to paste in that small piece.  It's when you paste something huge that people have a problem.)

Best of luck!  :)

1 hour ago, nascarlaser1 said:

can I disable this for certain save games? I want to make a special mission report using this and other mods, but I don't want it to effect my main save games. also, will this effect previous saves, or will it be off by default on them?

Just copy the KSP folder, like everyone else does.  It's simpler.

Currently Dang It! adds +9450 funds as a flat cost to every cargo bay, including the service bays.

This makes them cost a ridiculous amount, and the buy-in when using career mode with entry costs for unlocking parts makes them more to unlock than some manned command pods!

I can't see any reason that the cargo bays themselves need to cost more just because they might fail to open. Having spare parts cost X is fine, but can you explain why the bay itself costs so much extra? The command pods also have commensurate fund increases in line with their spare part capacity, and it also seems a bit excessively expensive just for space to put things in, but I don't mind pods being pricy as much as I do not being able to afford a service bay because it's 9950 to purchase and like 20k entry cost, which is just slightly less than the cost of my entire unmanned mun lander.

It's a rolled piece of sheet metal with an articulated door! It's already FULL of space (literally in many cases). If spare parts must be a price concern, please make them more expensive rather than charging for the things to put them in.

(On my personal copy I will remove the cost for cargo bays, divide the additional costs for pods by 4, and double the price of spare parts. Would you be interested in my opinion of that balance point, or not?)

Edited by darloth
grammar

• 2 weeks later...

When I switch from my map view back to my vessel it beeps even tho there is nothing broken on it, it starts when something broke on a different vessel and persists across all vessels until I restart KSP, is there a fix for this that I am missing, any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this mod :) just wanna see if I can correct this issue.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:15 PM, darloth said:

Currently Dang It! adds +9450 funds as a flat cost to every cargo bay, including the service bays.

This makes them cost a ridiculous amount, and the buy-in when using career mode with entry costs for unlocking parts makes them more to unlock than some manned command pods!

I can't see any reason that the cargo bays themselves need to cost more just because they might fail to open. Having spare parts cost X is fine, but can you explain why the bay itself costs so much extra? The command pods also have commensurate fund increases in line with their spare part capacity, and it also seems a bit excessively expensive just for space to put things in, but I don't mind pods being pricy as much as I do not being able to afford a service bay because it's 9950 to purchase and like 20k entry cost, which is just slightly less than the cost of my entire unmanned mun lander.

It's a rolled piece of sheet metal with an articulated door! It's already FULL of space (literally in many cases). If spare parts must be a price concern, please make them more expensive rather than charging for the things to put them in.

(On my personal copy I will remove the cost for cargo bays, divide the additional costs for pods by 4, and double the price of spare parts. Would you be interested in my opinion of that balance point, or not?)

Those costs include the spare parts

1 hour ago, Helbrecht said:

When I switch from my map view back to my vessel it beeps even tho there is nothing broken on it, it starts when something broke on a different vessel and persists across all vessels until I restart KSP, is there a fix for this that I am missing, any help would be greatly appreciated, I love this mod :) just wanna see if I can correct this issue.

No fix, first time reported. I'll take a look, but don't really have time for a few days

Its ok, minor bug, I turned the beep volume down, it beeps a few times then stops until I go back to map view then back to vessel, awesome mod btw. I have a 747 next to the SPH and I'm using KAS KIS to keep it repaired and fueled, makes it a lot more fun to have an "old" aircraft" instead of brand new every flight.

Edited by Helbrecht

Hello. Really love the idea of this mod, but having trouble getting it working. Currently I have it installed via CKAN, but what is happening is that it doesn't seem to have full functionality. Things break properly (glow, alarm etc.), and I can break things manually if I set that option on in the new game settings. However, I don't seem to be able to repair anything, and I'm not able to check the repair abilities of my kerbals (there is no Dang It! #&! menu in the top left like I have seen in some youtube overview of the mod). Is there a key that I am missing to turn on the rest of the functionality? Something obvious that I can't see?

Some other mods I have installed are KIS, KAS, Module Manager (of course), and TACS LS. But not much else.

Thank you!

EDIT: I really want to play with this mod, so I have attempted a fresh install, with only Dangit and the module manager installed. So far, works just fine. I've tested it and the different repair options are now visible. I can also now inspect items, which I couldn't do before. I'm now going to try and reinstall mods a few at a time while testing. If I can figure out what was causing the conflict I'll let you know.

One thought is that I might have caused this by manually installing the old dang it, and then installed dang it continued via CKAN.

Edited by BeerDrinkingBurke

On 4/9/2017 at 7:19 AM, Helbrecht said:

I'm receiving this bug too with the latest build, also with RCS thrusters after they break, after saving and reloading a game with the thrusters broken I'm unable to select the repair option for them any longer? (Repairing them initially seems fine, but loading after the game is saved with one in a broken state makes that one no longer repairable.)

20 minutes ago, [email protected] said:
On 4/9/2017 at 7:19 AM, Helbrecht said:

I'm receiving this bug too with the latest build, also with RCS thrusters after they break, after saving and reloading a game with the thrusters broken I'm unable to select the repair option for them any longer? (Repairing them initially seems fine, but loading after the game is saved with one in a broken state makes that one no longer repairable.)

I've raised issues on Github for both of these, will see what's going on  soon

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

can you post a log please?  also, the save file would be helpful