[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

Do the Snacks! mod's radial snack tins have a stupid high rate of failure? i just had the only 3 i have used so far fail within 5 minutes of launch... something's going wrong, or perhaps I am supposed to do something different with them? do they break under small g forces?

On 1/23/2017 at 3:36 AM, canisin said:

Hello All,

Thanks for maintaining such an interesting mod. 

I have one suggestion to make about failures on unfocused craft. First of all, I have no idea what I am talking about, so I apologize in advance if I am missing something obvious or not getting how the game functions. But here goes anyways :)

From your description of the situation, I get the idea that the chance for failure is probably re-calculated and re-rolled every so often to see if a part fails. Such a simulation is problematic when a craft is not focused/loaded. Now, if you "roll the dice" in advance, maybe you can get around this limitation. You calculate the chance for failure and then model the probability distribution and then roll a single dice to determine, when, in the future, the part will fail and "set an alarm" for that future date. When the alarm rings, you generate a message to the player as you currently do.

It might seem like the suggested model is not compatible with ageing based on usage or temperature, but all you need to do is to re-do the calculation whenever an effect causes the age of the part to change. As no such affect can happen while the part/vessel is unloaded, all of your pre-calculated failures remain valid during the whole time that the vessel was unloaded.

I have been using the mod only for a short range of time, so I suspect that some kinds of failures are not suitable for happening on the background. Or maybe even all of them, but I think it might be possible to find ways around those limitations. Here are a couple of examples:

Example1: Engine failure that causes the engine to start thrusting uncontrollably. Impossible while the vessel is not loaded.

Example2: Tank leakage. I understand that the game is not simulating resource usage while vessel is not loaded. So, you record the precalculated time of failure and as soon as the vessel loads, multiply time difference with leakage rate and deduct the resources.

Example3: Stuck parts like control surfaces and solar panels. Nothing special. Part will be stuck when vessel is loaded. Electric charge loss due to this can be ignored.

That's just my 2cents, but please let me know what you think and whether the idea is useful or not.

No failures are simulated while the vessel is unloaded.  That's just the way it was coded.

Thanks to a report by @EugeneButrik about performance issues with a large ship, I just released an update:

• Added code to prevent the ResetShipGlow from being executed every fixed update

Just now, lordcirth said:

Which is presumably why he's offering a good idea for fixing that.  Is there a flaw in the idea?

Yes, it's a lot of work, with the potential for lots of bugs.

I'm maintaining this mod, along with about 46 other mods.  If someone wants to jump in and contribute, that would be great.  In the meantime, I am working on other stuff, and am just doing bugfixes for now

• 2 weeks later...

Hey

having a bit of a problem between Dangit mod and another (or 2). Currently using Kerbal Construction Time and Dangit but while in VAB I get a message in debug saying "Adding Leak: [None]". I am guessing that leaks are more to do with Dangit over KCT (hence my post here first) but if I remove either the issue goes away. It would also seem its to do with KCT's "build time" option because if I just switch that off in the mod settings IG the issue also goes away. 

This is where the 3rd mod comes in. The line only creeps in at every time I add a part of make a save and generally stays to 1-2 lines at a time but if I use the part from the NRAP mod to test a rocket design for a set payload it ticks in every second until I remove the part. 

Here is my output log , ksp log and picture of my gamedata folder hope that helps in at least pointing me in the right direction and a quick thanks for carrying on this mod... I love it and hate it. 

5 hours ago, rakol said:

Hey

having a bit of a problem between Dangit mod and another (or 2). Currently using Kerbal Construction Time and Dangit but while in VAB I get a message in debug saying "Adding Leak: [None]". I am guessing that leaks are more to do with Dangit over KCT (hence my post here first) but if I remove either the issue goes away. It would also seem its to do with KCT's "build time" option because if I just switch that off in the mod settings IG the issue also goes away. 

This is where the 3rd mod comes in. The line only creeps in at every time I add a part of make a save and generally stays to 1-2 lines at a time but if I use the part from the NRAP mod to test a rocket design for a set payload it ticks in every second until I remove the part. 

Here is my output log , ksp log and picture of my gamedata folder hope that helps in at least pointing me in the right direction and a quick thanks for carrying on this mod... I love it and hate it. 

First, thank you for providing the logs

It's not a bug, just some log spam.  

Where are you getting NRAP from, the last commit on Github was last May.  it is NOT compatible with 1.2.2, last version listed is 1.1.2.  I'm guessing you are using the unofficial version, but I can't really support that.

And you do know that KCT is the only mod generating nullrefs?

Yup just log spam, its fine but once it starts "leaking" it was causing a bit of a spike in ram usage and GC so was hoping it could be a simple issue. 

NRAP is the unofficial one and I guessed it wouldn't be supported but was worth throwing it out there.

I did note the nullrefs but that only happens when exiting the VAB so thought it wasn't really linked to the log spam in the VAB

2 hours ago, rakol said:

Yup just log spam, its fine but once it starts "leaking" it was causing a bit of a spike in ram usage and GC so was hoping it could be a simple issue. 

NRAP is the unofficial one and I guessed it wouldn't be supported but was worth throwing it out there.

I did note the nullrefs but that only happens when exiting the VAB so thought it wasn't really linked to the log spam in the VAB

I'll see what I can do.  On another note, I've contacted @stupid_chris to see if it's ok if I adopt NRAP, if it is, then I'll be able to have a more official version for you soon.

6 hours ago, rakol said:

It's an NRAP bug, I have a fix which I'll get out later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2017 at 7:51 AM, SynthWeaver said:

After I switch vessel or watch the map and go back I hear beeping for a few seconds. then it stops really annoying because nothing broke...

I need more details.

For example, was anything beeping before you switched?

Log file would also be useful.

And, keep in mind that in real spaceflight, there are alarms and beeps going off all the time :D

On 1/23/2017 at 10:19 AM, Moikle said:

Do the Snacks! mod's radial snack tins have a stupid high rate of failure? i just had the only 3 i have used so far fail within 5 minutes of launch... something's going wrong, or perhaps I am supposed to do something different with them? do they break under small g forces?

I'm also getting this: so far I have had a 100% failure rate for snack radial tins, out of 7 in four different launches.

Thx for support this crazy mod!

Can u pls explain, what mean 2 different 'parachute' options in settings?

And also how to use 'Manual failure' option? nothing happened after checking it..

Edited by GenryRar

Another big thank you for continuing this mod from me!

It may just be a 'smaller' mod but it is a giant step for KSP - in terms of realism.

I would suggest to port the wiki from ippo343's github repo to your fork and maybe expand it a bit - especially effects of maintenance and repair on the aging / MTBF should be more detailed.

Since your github fork apparently allows me to create wiki pages on your repo I would volunteer for this if you are okay with it.

Also it seems that engine aging is a bit buggy(?). According to the wiki:

[...] others will only age when you are using them (e.g, engines, that age only when they are being fired)

So naturally I would assume that leaving a craft, doing other things (e.g. timewarp one year) would have no effect on my engine status. However that is not the case and it does not make a difference whether that engine is activated or not

Tested with MK 55 "Thud"´-> 20 seconds in use (MTBF 8760, Lifetime 1 hour, EOL 9 hours) the engine is still in good shape. After timewarping one year the engine is showing some age. Shutting down the engine before timewarp does not make any difference.

This means that probe missions to eeloo or missions with ~1 decade of flight time in general become extremely risky since your engines have a (random guess) 99% failure chance once they reach their destination. A simple way of fixing this would be to simply increase the LifeTime of engines and all other parts which are supposed to age only when used. It would obv. be more realistic if the engine aging would behave as intended.

Generally having a MTBF which is much higher than the expected lifetime appears a bit odd but that isn't really important if the overall behavior is reasonable.

As a general balancing suggestion I would propose to make complete engine failures less common than cooliage leakage / gimbal locks and not the other way around. But this is certainly debatable.

Second bug (minor / visual):

After reloading a craft the context menu entries are reset to show a generic value.

Testcase: 1 MK1 commant pod with a terrier engine and 1 engineer as crew

1. Launch -> EVA -> rightclick engine -> It shows "clean engine" etc. as entries for maintenance (from Engines.cs) -> board again (might be optional)

2. go back to space center

3. Go to the tracking center and select your craft or go to the craft directly since it is sitting on the launchpad (it does not make a difference which way you choose)

4. Go to EVA again -> rightclick engine -> it shows 3x "Maintenance" + 3x "EvaRepair" for engine, coolant line and gimbal

It should still show "clean engine" for the engine maintenance etc. otherwise it is a bit tricky to figure out which is which.

Note that I have a few other mods installed on my install. All tests were done on stock parts only, FAR and procedural parts are not installed. If it helps i can post my complete modlist ofc. but I suspect that the issues are not related to other mods..

Edited by Fulgora
completed last sentence, added wiki source

On 2/26/2017 at 7:41 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I need more details.

An easy scenario that creates the "Ghost Beep" is if, for example, a fuel tank springs a leak during launch and is jettisoned. Forevermore, that ship will have a warning beep when switching to it. Any jettisoned part that is malfunctioning doesn't seem to clear.

Another thing that may cause this, but it's more a mod compatibility issue is if the ReservePower Battery fails (from AmpYear) there is no way to repair it, unless I'm missing something obvious.

A huge kudo's to linuxgurugamer for picking this up and maintaining it! Thanks!!

1 hour ago, Wolfschadowe said:

An easy scenario that creates the "Ghost Beep" is if, for example, a fuel tank springs a leak during launch and is jettisoned. Forevermore, that ship will have a warning beep when switching to it. Any jettisoned part that is malfunctioning doesn't seem to clear.

Another thing that may cause this, but it's more a mod compatibility issue is if the ReservePower Battery fails (from AmpYear) there is no way to repair it, unless I'm missing something obvious.

A huge kudo's to linuxgurugamer for picking this up and maintaining it! Thanks!!

This will be very helpful.

Thank you

On 26-2-2017 at 4:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I need more details.

Log file would also be useful.

And, keep in mind that in real spaceflight, there are alarms and beeps going off all the time :D

Idk, it is gone now XD