[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

hmm just had an interesting thing happen.   i had a probe enroute to Duna using the ET-3226 "Umbra" Arcjet Thruster.  i had 10 of these on the probe and every one of them has failed before i could finalize my duna trajectory.  so this SCANSAT probe is now uselessly drifting in space.  i could understand if a few of the engines fail enroute, thus the reason i had 10 of them on it.  But all 10 fail?  this is beyond RNG and must be a configuration issue.  These ion engines are by design to make probes for long duration missions.  if they fail this quickly how do we ever get probes out to the distant worlds?  am i missing something here?  or are they really failing far to often?

On 1/25/2018 at 4:07 PM, Bit Fiddler said:

hmm in looking in the CRP file i do not see them listed.   i just noticed them in another document that the creators use to make thier mod.   maybe this is a future idea and they are not implemnted yet.   i guess we need to ask @RoverDude     i am trying to make a part for KSP, and in looking in his balance worksheet for ensuring parts all fit in the "reality" of USI i see a conversion ratio of

ReplacementParts:     MaterialKits(2) + SpecializedParts(2) +  Chemicals(1) =  ReplacementParts(5) 

Where exactly did you see this?

ok, cool, thanks for this.   as always, you seem to come through with these mods.

after a bit more detailed mission time on these long missions i am doing now i have found a few things.

1) can you make a "Silence alarm" feature into a button on the toolbar that will globally silence all alarms.

This one i would really like as it seems to me i have several things fail all at once and would like to just kill all the alarms instantly and then go deal with all the isues.   And on a probe with no engineer on board to fix them there is nothing to do really but silence the alarm anyway.

2) can we have a UI element made....  (both for standard UI and if time and effort allow an RPM screen would be great)  that lists all the parts on the craft assuming our engineer has gone "inspecting" and list all parts conditions that we have inspected and therefore know about.

2b) and to go along with this list...   would it be feasable to get a subset of "Part Commander" made to work along side "Dang It!" such that the part commnder list could be put into "Dang It" mode where it will only list the parts in range of the engoineer, and only show the right click menu items that pertain to Dang It?    This may be more hassle than it is worth, but just tossing it out here for thought.  I have just found there are many parts on my craft that are near impossible to get a click to register on, even when in
"reality" a kerbal inside that service bay would have no problem getting to it. 

This is all due to a problem getting the UI view to get me a clear shot to many of the parts.  i have also discovered some parts where the "collision box" is bigger than the physical part, so when i adjusted the parts to sit flush on these parts the game now thinks they are inside the other part, and i can't click on them at all now.  as it is, it is not a game breaker, assuming part commander will get me access to them ( i will install part commander and give it a shot in the next day or so), these requests should be considered more along the lines of "hey i was writing code for this mod any way... maybe i will look at these ideas", rather than a real request for a fix/feature as they are really far down on the list of thigs to worry about. 

Edited by Bit Fiddler

• 2 weeks later...

how rare are incidents meant be after launch? what is the logic of a "new" part is? i seem to be getting a failure with every launch. with the latest one getting two+ failures consistently with seconds of each other (before even leaving the atmosphere) and even with a quickload to launchpad.

both the mtbp and lifetime were set on 4. i thought this was meant to be rarest?

thanks

Edited by casper88

5 hours ago, casper88 said:

how rare are incidents meant be after launch? what is the logic of a "new" part is? i seem to be getting a failure with every launch. with the latest one getting two+ failures consistently with seconds of each other (before even leaving the atmosphere) and even with a quickload to launchpad.

both the mtbp and lifetime were set on 4. i thought this was meant to be rarest?

thanks

You're unlucky man. I start new game with mtbp and lifetime to 1 and got only one broken part (motor) while descending in atmosphere. Total launch count was about 6. After that I changed mtbp to 0.75. I'm playing without quicksaves and launch cancelling.

yeh i was also playing without quickload/reverts until the multiple game bugs started to ruin the experience so now only load if a bug occurs... a possible difference is the launch count  - pretty sure ive launched over 100 in this save now

3 minutes ago, casper88 said:

yeh i was also playing without quickload/reverts until the multiple game bugs started to ruin the experience so now only load if a bug occurs... a possible difference is the launch count  - pretty sure ive launched over 100 in this save now

I think it was an anti saveload abuse system like throwing dice 100 times and always got 1/6.

10 hours ago, Spike88 said:

If it hasn’t been stated, what’s a good range to set it at?

I used the default settings for Dang It and have run probably a hundred or so missions at this point.  I'd say about 30% have had malfunctions, but most of the time they are harmless.   

I think I have seen a bug, but have not tried to reproduce it yet.  When you have a vessel with a rcs thruster failure and go to the tracking station and then back to the vessel the thruster appears to be firing full blast in every direction, but it produces no thrust and consumes no fuel.  I've had it happen at least twice, so I think its just a visual glitch.

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

@linuxgurugamer,  I have a question: are all containers,  of all kinds and holding whichever resources, liable to leak? TAC-LS food containers,  for instance?

Looks like it.  You can check by looking into the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file, find the tanks you are interested in, and look for a module in that tank which name is either NoFailureModules or ModuleTankReliability.  If the first, the no.  If you see the second, then yes.  If neither, then no

41 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like it.  You can check by looking into the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file, find the tanks you are interested in, and look for a module in that tank which name is either NoFailureModules or ModuleTankReliability.  If the first, the no.  If you see the second, then yes.  If neither, then no

Ok,  will check. Thanks!

@linuxgurugamer  Hey, has anyone mentioned issues with propeller engines yet?  I haven't seen a reference to them yet.  (It seems I cannot use the Enter button to make a new paragraph, so hopefully this isn't too soupy to follow).  Here goes:  In 1.3.1.  (what arrow keys don't work now in forums either??!!)  Using a plane built with stock, Kerbonov and Airplane plus parts.  One of the 2 KT6A "Kitty" Turboprop Engines on my Twin Kotter has failed.  Excellent.  This plane lands with one engine ok.  Send out my pilot to inspect the engine once on the tarmac at KSC.  Oops!  Pilot can't seem to see what the problem is.  Send out my repair truck.  Engineer grabs some spare parts, climbs the ladder to inspect the damage.  The inspection report says Engine:  The part has failed.  My only option for the engine is to "Clean Engine".  Cleaning it (even multiple times) does not seem to solve the problem.  Is this planned behaviour or am I missing something like a patch for Airplane Plus?

Here is a screen shot: (looks like Enter button works, but still no arrow keys?)

Spoiler

CFVeclM.png

I can provide log file if needed....

EDIT 2:

When the particular engine is highlighted in the Editor, it does show the DangIt! information you'd expect:

Spoiler

PU75pXw.jpg

Edited by smotheredrun
hid pic into spoiler; add another pic

20 minutes ago, smotheredrun said:

@linuxgurugamer:

While doing some research for another issue/clarification with another set of mods, I noticed this:

Hide contents

XL7sJ3w.jpg

Apparently all of the stock landing legs have tires?  :o

well, internally, they are wheels.

I hope you are using this on 1.3.1.....

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

well, internally, they are wheels.

Haha, those are small tires then!

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I hope you are using this on 1.3.1.....

Yes :)  Not enough of my "must haves" are in 1.4.x yet.  Happy to wait.  I just jumped onto the 1.3.1 train last week.