[1.12.x] Dang It! Continued

linuxgurugamer

On 8/13/2019 at 8:06 AM, LanderDude said:

So is this mod working with any of the Breaking Ground versions?  I really like the idea of it, I see the repair bay, but that's about it.  No failures yet on a career that is probably 20+ hours in....

I was having an issue with the update to 1.7.something. Wasn't loading. Just loaded it back into the system the other day with 1.7.3 and Braking Ground. Broke an antenna on the Mun just yesterday.

Ooh. Is there an easy way to enable/disable this mod?

I was thinking of adding this to a creative mode game to add some interesting results. However, I'd probably get annoyed with it in Career (for now, I'd redo a new career with it enabled later). Or am I best just finishing this career game, and starting a new one with Dangit later?

1 hour ago, Technical Ben said:

Ooh. Is there an easy way to enable/disable this mod?

I was thinking of adding this to a creative mode game to add some interesting results. However, I'd probably get annoyed with it in Career (for now, I'd redo a new career with it enabled later). Or am I best just finishing this career game, and starting a new one with Dangit later?

Just remove it if you don’t like it

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just remove it if you don’t like it

Oh, it's not that I won't like it. I just have very different play styles in career and creative. So I'd like to use the mod in creative (to give some mission incentive to a free form mode, and some excitement), but not in career (as I'm limited on cost/funding, so don't want it being eaten up by failures, as well... it's not real life, I want fun not stress XD ).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beyond a failure, is there by chance any way to tell if the mod is actually working?  I really love the idea of it, but as yet have not been able to get any version to work, so my suspicion is even with it loaded into Gamedata and the Community Resource pack present in Gamedata, its just not loading for some reason... is there a log anyone can think of to check?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the opposite problem from LanderDude. Dang It! is working all too well. I migrated my career to 1.8 once all the mods I was using updated and have been suffering a string of failures. It was one thing to have a failure every couple of gameplay sessions but to have three in one session, two of them on a single vessel, and then to have several more when I played the next day, seems like something not quite right in the translation. Something weird in the randomizer perhaps?

I've just decided to disable it for now. I may turn it back on to play a sandbox for a while to see if I can pin down an actual change or if this is just random chance and observation bias.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

as far as my experience goes, this DOES NOT WORK with Airplane Plus, it might just be me but Dang It! prevents some AP parts from loading correctly. It just freezes at the part and never loads. https://imgur.com/gallery/7WNTqh5 Here is an image of this issue.

-Edit: This mod basically doesn't work with any other mod that includes parts, funny enough it doesn't work with its own parts.

Edited by Photon
add to the list

4 hours ago, Photon said:

as far as my experience goes, this DOES NOT WORK with Airplane Plus, it might just be me but Dang It! prevents some AP parts from loading correctly. It just freezes at the part and never loads. https://imgur.com/gallery/7WNTqh5 Here is an image of this issue.

-Edit: This mod basically doesn't work with any other mod that includes parts, funny enough it doesn't work with its own parts.

Thats usually a missing resource.  Rather than complain about it, why don't you post a logfile so that you can be helped?

Since no one else has brought this up, there might be something in your install causing this.

Also, if you are running on 1.8, you should install the ZeroMiniAVC mod to delete all the MiniAVC dll files, they are broken on 1.8

23 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thats usually a missing resource.  Rather than complain about it, why don't you post a logfile so that you can be helped?

Since no one else has brought this up, there might be something in your install causing this.

Also, if you are running on 1.8, you should install the ZeroMiniAVC mod to delete all the MiniAVC dll files, they are broken on 1.8

I'll try installing the ZeroMiniAVC, otherwise i'll get the log files so you can check it out. Also I give full apologies to not posting a log file.

42 minutes ago, Photon said:

I'll try installing the ZeroMiniAVC, otherwise i'll get the log files so you can check it out. Also I give full apologies to not posting a log file.

Coming back to this, I have tried ZeroMiniAVC, and it still does not work.

I have the log file now: http://www.mediafire.com/file/lehjshf67g2e9js/Player.log/file

I play with way too many mods so unless its really necessary I don't really wanna list them all.

To reproduce this problem all you need to do is have a mod basically with custom parts in it.

• 3 weeks later...

This does not seem to work with Universal Storage 2.  (At the very least, there is no MTBF listing for it's batteries.)  Is that because the US2's parts have different sizes now?    Seems like that would qualify them as "procedural tanks."  But I want to make sure that's the problem and not me just installing something wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

How often are part failures supposed to occur?   I have a space station in orbit of mun and it gets about 2-5 part failures every 6 hours.  The station has only been up for at most 150 days but I'm pretty sure it's only been up for 50 days.  The parts that fail are usually, z-400 batteries and Stratus V cylendrified monopropellant tanks, but my rockomax x-200 32 tanks also fail regularly as do my (USI) life support tanks.  These things all have pretty long EOL ratings (at least in the VAB), but they are constantly breaking.  Sometimes its the same part breaking (the motor on my lander can) a few days apart.   Are the numbers in the VAB actually seconds and not hours?  Does fixing things make the RNG mad and rerolls what part broke?

I like the idea behind the mod, but this is extremely frustrating.  Is there anyway to fix this on EVA?  Will "replace battery" start the timer all over?  If nothing else works can I uninstall the mod and it won't hurt vessels in flight?  (I probably have about 35 vessels in flight).     

Thanks for the quick responses, answers, and input.  Will changing the settings effect craft that have already been launched or only future crafts?

I feel like this station is cursed though.  In the last 2 minutes I've had about 6 parts break, including a monoprop tank that broke, was repaired by an engineer on eva, the insulation was replaced to hopefully extend the time until the next breakage, and then it broke again about 5 seconds after the engineer made it back inside.  

Edited by Minwaabi

1 hour ago, Minwaabi said:

Thanks for the quick responses, answers, and input.  Will changing the settings effect craft that have already been launched or only future crafts?

I feel like this station is cursed though.  In the last 2 minutes I've had about 6 parts break, including a monoprop tank that broke, was repaired by an engineer on eva, the insulation was replaced to hopefully extend the time until the next breakage, and then it broke again about 5 seconds after the engineer made it back inside.  

I have same problem, same part almost always fails immediately after loading the craft.

EDIT: After some testing, I can say that it happens always when any craft is loaded. Always the same part fails on same crafts. It's usually also part that is close to root part.

Edited by Aurelius

After the rebuild for 1.8 patch, I've been having constant issues with this mod and I can't seem to figure out where in the code it's going wrong, but:

1.) High reliability parts with a MTBF of around 10 years, like batteries, fail the most often.  This is the opposite of how it should be, no?

2.) The alarm triggers constantly, even on other craft when switching around.  I can work around that one by turning the alarm off, but...

Any ideas?  I looked over the code and can't figure out why this is happening.

To be fair, batteries should probably fail at a higher rate than they do, but right now they are the MOST failure prone.  On the flipside, I've experienced zero engine failures, ever.

Edited by R-T-B

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 11:37 PM, R-T-B said:

On the flipside, I've experienced zero engine failures, ever.

I can report that engines fail successfully (on KSP 1.9 +  DangIt 1:0.7.19.2)

Batteries do indeed fail often (so do lights) - not a complaint, just an observation.

One feature request :wub: that I would have:

Could the SpareParts be made a transferrable resource? Resupplying large stations is a tedious process if you have to rely on EVAs.

Setup:

• KSP 1.9, Making History, Fresh sandbox save
  • DangIt 1:0.7.19.2
  • Dependencies:
  • Spoiler

ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 0.1.9.5)
    Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.3)
    SpacetuxSA (SpacetuxSA 0.3.13.1)
    Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
    Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

Screenshot showing this:

Spoiler

D4OLdns.png

I hope this is a simple thing to add. The ShipManifest mod doesn't enable this either unfortunately.

Edited by Fulgora

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:39 PM, Fulgora said:

Could the SpareParts be made a transferrable resource? Resupplying large stations is a tedious process if you have to rely on EVAs.

@Fulgora I liked your idea and submitted a pull request to @linuxgurugamer.

If he chooses to mege it, the same changes must be made to the CommunityResourcePack as I didn't feel comfortable to do this without consulting him first. 

Meanwhile you are free to edit the CommonResources.cfg in your CommunityResourcePack folder locally.

Just change:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
   name = SpareParts
   transfer = NONE
}

Into:

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
   name = SpareParts
   transfer = PUMP
}