what is geo orbit

Ritesh

GEO stands for Geostationary Earth Orbit. It's a specific orbit, at ~36000 km, over the equator, where your orbital speed matches the Earth's rotation, and therefore the satellite remains over the same spot. This orbit is very popular with telecom and TV satellite operators who want permanent coverage of a particular country. The drawback of reaching this orbit is that it is very high, and therefore requires a lot of dV to get there, and it needs to be equatorial, which means that you need to launch from near the equator.

Should be pointed out that geostationary earth orbit is different from geosynchronous earth orbit.  I was confused by this at one time but I assume that I'm still confused so please someone correct me.  A geostationary satellite orbits prograde over the equator (or close to) every 24 hours and appears to stay (mostly) in one spot in the sky.  A geosynchronous satellite orbits every 24 hours but can be more inclined.  I believe a geosynchronous satellite can in a polar orbit or an elliptical orbit (such as a tundra orbit) and maybe even retrograde orbit too maybe?.      

1 minute ago, KG3 said:

Should be pointed out that geostationary earth orbit is different from geosynchronous earth orbit.  I was confused by this at one time but I assume that I'm still confused so please someone correct me.  A geostationary satellite orbits prograde over the equator (or close to) every 24 hours and appears to stay (mostly) in one spot in the sky.  A geosynchronous satellite orbits every 24 hours but can be more inclined.  I believe a geosynchronous satellite can in a polar orbit or an elliptical orbit (such as a tundra orbit) and maybe even retrograde orbit too maybe?.      

Yes, technically. So long as the satellite is over the same spot every 24 hours, it's synchronous.

You can frequently get the same benefit from a semi-synchronous orbit with a 12 hour period as well. I guess in theory you could have satellites in orbits of 8, 6, 4, 3, or 2 hours as well. Can't have less than that because atmospheric drag :D

15 minutes ago, KG3 said:

Geosynchronous is, I believe, any orbit with a period that is equal to Earth's sidereal day.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.