Missing Parts and Save Problem

roxellani

Hello fellow KSP players. First of all, I hope I'm not violating any forum rules by posting this here.

I need your help on a problem i've been having. I have recently updated my game from 1.2.2 to 1.4.5. The computer i'm playing in is usally not connected to internet and with using alot of mods I didn't wanted the game to update anyways. But recently my game became corrupted (it was not loading), which i couldn't fix neither by reinstallation or steam verification. I've managed to solve my problem with backing up everything and formatting the pc. So instead of going on with 1.2.2, I've decided I should install the game in the latest update.

Somehow I have managed to install all the mods i've been using (120+ mods) using CKAN the same way i've installed them before. And when I copied by old saves to the new game, upon loading the save it says alot of my crafts were not loaded because of missing parts. I've checked all the crafts it couldn't load and there are only 2 parts it seems it can't load. Both parts belong to diffrent mods and interestingly, other parts from the same mods aren't causing any errors but only these two does. Parts are "sensorTime" from Mkerb Inc. Science Instruments and "DTMagnetometer" from KSPInterstellar mod. Now here's the catch, both of those parts exist in my game files, in the same folder as the older game. And when I compare the cfg files for both parts, they are exactly identical except for the localization (#autoLOC_) lines. I've tried to change the new cfg's with the old ones but didn't help. Most of my crafts, including my space station and lunar base aren't loading because of parts that exist but somehow cannot be recognised by the game.

What can I do to fix this? I can always load the old game and remove those parts but it would take very long, since the game is heavily modded and load times are long. What would you suggest I do? I don't want to fix my savegame with loading the old game and removing the parts one by one from 10's of crafts by hand. It would be too time consuming.

So I'm open for suggestions. Please help. Thanks for reading.

I'm don't think they're relevant but here are my specs.

i7-920, Asus R9-270X 2GB, 12GB Ram

I couldn't find a way to upload my KSP.log file, but if you show me a way, I can also post it, if it helps.

One of the key things to remember here is that parts attached to craft retain their configuration from that moment in time, so if a part has something within it renamed (maybe the model or more likely the texture) then that info will be out of date on the part in your .craft file or save file. Basically it doesn't matter what the .cfg file is called, if the other files have been re-ordered or sorted into folders (something becoming increasingly common with the larger parts mods) then your save and .craft files will continue to point to the wrong place and hence will not be able to load.

You've a few options here:

• write and execute a batch script to go through all your existing files and either strip or rebuild the affected parts. Doesn't matter what OS you're on, the command line tools to achieve this should be available for free if they don't come pre-installed.
  • recreate the file/folder structure (better) and/or download & install the 1.2.2 version of the mod (potential for serious snafu) to put the missing files back where they came from or so help me...
  • do as you've already said, and load/edit/resave every offending .craft. If you have anything already in flight then that's a problem that will of course solve itself, but not prettily.

Methods for uploading your log files are explained in this thread in Add-On Releases: 

adding to @JH4C's great suggestions.

If he's right about the textures you could also go into the two mods, find the textures and see what's wrong. Go into 1.2.x and check the config files, see what texture it's look for and where it's looking for it. Then go into the new version and see if those same textures exist in the same place. If not, then make a copy of the textures and rename or relocate the copy to where your old config is looking.

In general you are going to find that saved games, especially modded ones, are not compatible through version updates.   That can be for a number of reasons.  Sometimes nodes change requiring that mods update their models accordingly.  Also many times modders use a KSP upgrade as a time to implement new or changed features, as these upgrades are already likely to be save breaking anyway.

It may be possible to piece together things to make it work, but historically I have found it is better to finish your current game in its current version, or just start a new one in a new version.

12 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

In general you are going to find that saved games, especially modded ones, are not compatible through version updates.   That can be for a number of reasons.  Sometimes nodes change requiring that mods update their models accordingly.  Also many times modders use a KSP upgrade as a time to implement new or changed features, as these upgrades are already likely to be save breaking anyway.

It may be possible to piece together things to make it work, but historically I have found it is better to finish your current game in its current version, or just start a new one in a new version.

Normally I'd agree, but he's already isolated the issue to two parts. The OP might be able to save it.

6 hours ago, roxellani said:

CUT

You are close on the cfg's but there not the same but even the small changes , I see I wouldn't think the would stop ksp from loading them but anyway if I was you , I would write the new ones or add to there name and put the old cfg's in the same folder for just those part or just zip up the new cfg's and put the old ones back in there place then check to see if all loads good if so then one could try and write a MM to add the new changes and see if it loads that way hope it helps.

Edited by Mecripp

Here are the cfg's

Spoiler

PART
{
name = sensorTime
module = Part
author = MKerb

mesh = model.mu
texture = texture.png
rescaleFactor = 1
 // X, y, Z, 
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.01, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

TechRequired = scienceTech
entryCost = 3200
cost = 5200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Liquid Time Experiment                      // changed title = #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Title
manufacturer = Mkerb Inc                            //                 #autoLOC_Mkerb_Agents_Title
description = With this experiment Mkerb hopes  to learn more about time in space and on Kerbin. Warranty void if used as wall clock.  // #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Description
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.105
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8                 //  changed    crashTolerance = 5
maxTemp = 850                      //  "     "    maxTemp = 700

PhysicsSignificance = 1
tags = experiment research science mkerb time sensor lte liquid device    // tags = #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Tags
MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceExperiment    

experimentID = MkerbTime

experimentActionName = Timer Experiment    // #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Ex_Name
        resetActionName = Discard Data                      // #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Ex_Del
                                                                                        // missing from old collectActionName = #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Ex_Coll
    useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True
    hideUIwhenUnavailable = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.83
    dataIsCollectable = True
    interactionRange = 1.2

rerunnable = True            //   rerunnable = False

}

}

Spoiler

PART
{
name = DTMagnetometer
module = Part
author = Fractal

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0

TechRequired = specializedScienceTech       //  changed TechRequired = scienceTech
entryCost = 3400
cost = 200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Dual Technique Magnetometer             // title = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_title        // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_title = Dual Technique Magnetometer
manufacturer = MagProbe Inc.                        // manufacturer = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_manuf    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_manuf = MagProbe Inc.
description = A device used to measure the magnetic field of the planet it is placed in orbit of.  It is also capable of detecting the abundance of useful antimatter particles in the magnetosphere.   // description = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_descr    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_descr = A device used to measure the magnetic field of the planet it is placed in orbit of.  It is also capable of detecting the abundance of useful antimatter particles in the magnetosphere.
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.005
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8
maxTemp = 1200

DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 0.1565,0.8737,0.194, 0.1565,0.8713,0.194, 0.05032,0.7681,1.521, 0.05042,0.7487,1.583, 0.2049,0.7386,0.4421, 0.2049,0.7342,0.3462, -0.000406,-0.5948,-0.03935, 0.1896,1.548,0.4791
    }

MODULE
{
    name = DTMagnetometer
    animName = deploy
}
MODULE
{

experimentID = magnetosphericExperiment

experimentActionName = Log Magnetopsheric Data           // experimentActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_experimentName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_experimentName = Log Magnetopsheric Data
    resetActionName = Delete Data                          //resetActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_resetName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_resetName = Delete Data

useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True

resettable = True
    resettableOnEVA = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.6
    rerunnable = True

dataIsCollectable = True
    collectActionName = Collect Data   // collectActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_collectName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_collectName = Collect Data
    interactionRange = 1.2
}
}

Edited by Mecripp

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Normally I'd agree, but he's already isolated the issue to two parts. The OP might be able to save it.

That is true.  However going from 1.2.2 to 1.4.5 is a sizable jump, and with 120 mods it is a very good possibility that some mods changed more than just models.  There have been times when say a life support mod changed some mechanics, making pretty much all of my missions unusable.

15 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

That is true.  However going from 1.2.2 to 1.4.5 is a sizable jump, and with 120 mods it is a very good possibility that some mods changed more than just models.  There have been times when say a life support mod changed some mechanics, making pretty much all of my missions unusable.

Kerbals Kerbals come on now lets play nice one could just load both parts in the game just by renaming the new one for now to check load or changing cfg's   if loads fine there back to kerbal things :D

EDIT- Guess I could pull them out and check my self but wouldn't tell me if that would load there save game so then i'm still in the dark :(

Edited by Mecripp

2 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

Kerbals Kerbals come on now lets play nice one could just load both parts in the game just by renaming the new one for now to check load or changing cfg's   if loads fine there back to kerbal things :D

umm  there is nothing nasty going on.  Not even an argument.  I'm just pointing out that there could be more to look at even if you can get the parts to load.

38 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

Here are the cfg's

Hide contents

PART
{
name = sensorTime
module = Part
author = MKerb

mesh = model.mu
texture = texture.png
rescaleFactor = 1
 // X, y, Z, 

entryCost = 3200
cost = 5200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Liquid Time Experiment                      // changed title = #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Title
manufacturer = Mkerb Inc                            //                 #autoLOC_Mkerb_Agents_Title
description = With this experiment Mkerb hopes  to learn more about time in space and on Kerbin. Warranty void if used as wall clock.  // #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Description
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.105
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 1
tags = experiment research science mkerb time sensor lte liquid device    // tags = #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Tags
MODULE
    {

experimentID = MkerbTime

resetActionName = Discard Data                      // #autoLOC_Mkerb_Time_Ex_Del
    useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True

xmitDataScalar = 0.83
    dataIsCollectable = True
    interactionRange = 1.2

}

}

Hide contents

PART
{
name = DTMagnetometer
module = Part
author = Fractal

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

TechRequired = specializedScienceTech       //  changed TechRequired = scienceTech
entryCost = 3400
cost = 200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
title = Dual Technique Magnetometer             // title = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_title        // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_title = Dual Technique Magnetometer
manufacturer = MagProbe Inc.                        // manufacturer = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_manuf    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_manuf = MagProbe Inc.
description = A device used to measure the magnetic field of the planet it is placed in orbit of.  It is also capable of detecting the abundance of useful antimatter particles in the magnetosphere.   // description = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_descr    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_descr = A device used to measure the magnetic field of the planet it is placed in orbit of.  It is also capable of detecting the abundance of useful antimatter particles in the magnetosphere.
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.005
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8
maxTemp = 1200

DRAG_CUBE
    {
        cube = Default, 0.1565,0.8737,0.194, 0.1565,0.8713,0.194, 0.05032,0.7681,1.521, 0.05042,0.7487,1.583, 0.2049,0.7386,0.4421, 0.2049,0.7342,0.3462, -0.000406,-0.5948,-0.03935, 0.1896,1.548,0.4791
    }

MODULE
{
    name = DTMagnetometer
    animName = deploy
}
MODULE
{

experimentActionName = Log Magnetopsheric Data           // experimentActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_experimentName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_experimentName = Log Magnetopsheric Data
    resetActionName = Delete Data                          //resetActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_resetName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_resetName = Delete Data

useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True

resettable = True
    resettableOnEVA = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.6
    rerunnable = True

dataIsCollectable = True
    collectActionName = Collect Data   // collectActionName = #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_collectName    // #LOC_KSPIE_DTMagnetometer_ModuleScienceExperiment_collectName = Collect Data
    interactionRange = 1.2
}
}

I'd compare those to how the new models configs are written. You'll notice that both of those use "mesh = model.mu". This is the older way of defining models. Compare that to the new version.

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

umm  there is nothing nasty going on.  Not even an argument.  I'm just pointing out that there could be more to look at even if you can get the parts to load.

Yep. Agreed 100% we're both offering suggestions on how to help. @goldenpsp has been posting here for a long time and I have great respect for the knowledge he shares. Just differing ideas, that's all  :) 

Edited by Tyko

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

I'd compare those to how the new models configs are written. You'll notice that both of those use "mesh = model.mu". This is the older way of defining models. Compare that to the new version.

Yep. Agreed 100% we're both offering suggestions on how to help. @goldenpsp has been posting here for a long time and I have great respect for the knowledge he shares. Just differing ideas, that's all  :) 

Aww schucks.  I do hope it works.  I've never had much success, but then it could be due to my mod choices that those mods often added save breaking changes to coincide with a KSP version update.

3 minutes ago, Tyko said:

You are right a lot of them did change but there are some stock parts that still use in 1.5 look at  ( mk2Cockpit_Inline ) and I will put them both out and load them to check models

6 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

@goldenpsp@Tyko Nope there both the same model https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf0j6emgew9xqy9/TESTpart 1.5.png?dl=0

EDIT - and how to a post the picture that don't look like a link just shows the picture ?

It may be the same model, but it may have been renamed...you sent us the old configs up above. Send us the new configs in the same way. I'll take a look

3 minutes ago, Mecripp said:

If you look at the cfg I post // what changed to the side 

oh gosh, that's really hard to read...since a single typo can prevent a part from loading it would be more helpful to see both configs for the DTMagnetometer, not with all kinds of stuff commented in.

19 minutes ago, Tyko said:

oh gosh, that's really hard to read...since a single typo can prevent a part from loading it would be more helpful to see both configs for the DTMagnetometer, not with all kinds of stuff commented in.

Well you can do the same thing I did and download both of both mods and match them up, I can get them to load if I wanted to use them  I don't have the problem just trying to help but if you want to help well and are free to do the same thing I did and hunt them down and download them but with out that kerbal trying to load a save  test it still in the dark but all in all the parts should load but just may not working because of the ScienceDefs cfgs

8 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Pretty sure you can't with dropbox.  I use imgur.  Free and easy.

O Kerbal I forgot I even  had that too ( and remembered the password now that's a shocker )

6BYtJoR.png
Why do I get 3 pictures of same thing when try to post ?
Edited by Mecripp

Thanks everybody for replying. I knew this community wouldn't let me down. :)

A batch script to strip the two parts from any crafts they're used in seems like a nice way to come around this problem. As long as my old crafts work, it'll be fine.

I don't really know how modding works, so recreating or editing mods to fit my needs seem like it's over my head. Especially when I'm too busy with school and work, I can't spare time to learn modding. But a batch script is something I can handle. I did thought of this after writing the post but wasn't sure if it would work.

I was indeed surprised that only 2 parts were causing problems, I was expecting alot more from such heavily modded game. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother updating and continue from 1.2.2. But since problem is with 2 parts only, it seemed hopeful. I think I need to thank the developers of the mods I use, even if not all mods are compatible for 1.4.5 exactly, i took the risk of installing the same mods for 1.4.x if 1.4.5 version wasn't avaible, and they're compatible, which is nice.

Thanks again guys, you've saved me from alot of trouble.

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2018 at 6:47 PM, Tyko said:

On 10/15/2018 at 6:10 PM, Mecripp said:

Here are the cfg's

Hide contents

PART
{
name = sensorTime
module = Part
author = MKerb

mesh = model.mu
texture = texture.png
rescaleFactor = 1
 // X, y, Z, 

entryCost = 3200
cost = 5200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.105
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1

PhysicsSignificance = 1
MODULE
    {

experimentID = MkerbTime

useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True

xmitDataScalar = 0.83
    dataIsCollectable = True
    interactionRange = 1.2

}

}

Hide contents

PART
{
name = DTMagnetometer
module = Part
author = Fractal

mesh = model.mu
rescaleFactor = 1

entryCost = 3400
cost = 200
category = Science
subcategory = 0
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,1

mass = 0.005
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8
maxTemp = 1200

DRAG_CUBE
    {
    }

MODULE
{
    name = DTMagnetometer
    animName = deploy
}
MODULE
{

useStaging = False
    useActionGroups = True

resettable = True
    resettableOnEVA = False

xmitDataScalar = 0.6
    rerunnable = True

dataIsCollectable = True
    interactionRange = 1.2
}
}

Hi Folks,

I am having the same problem with the Dual Technique Magnetometer, as in not showing up in parts inventory in the VAB. I want to try copy/paste this config info, but not sure where to put it. Can you tell me which .cfg it goes into?

Mucho Thankso,

Hegemony Cricket

Edited by Omar X

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.