!!!! I Need Help With Something !!!!

Hi. I'm a player of KSP. I have just shy of 1000 hours played, I've mastered docking, maneuver nodes and rocket designs, but heres the thing. I can't get to another planet or even one of my orbital facilities. Basically I need help with launch rendezvous, launch windows and orbital rendezvous. Please, can anyone help me with this? 

Cheers,

DJ

Oddly mastering maneuver  nodes pretty much means you are most of the way there to orbital rendezvous. 

Launch windows and launch rendezvous just mean you are trading time in orbit for time on the ground.

When you try, what happens?

Launch rendezvous: I found the "kerbal rescue missions" in career mode great practice at rendezvous.  This is a much more simple problem than docking in that once you are sufficiently close, you can take control of the kerbal and RCS to the rescue ship.  Normally this is mastered before docking, but if you already can dock then it is just a matter of getting close enough to dock.

Launch windows: I go here. https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/

Hitting the planet.  Assuming you launched during the launch window, you will still need a very fine control to get an encounter with a planet.  Expect to lay in a course, burn, and then a correction burn or two (NASA does this, but they can't throttle engines).  Often the best method is to set the view to the target planet, then burn until a sufficiently close encounter is realized (typically using SAS to zoom to the needed orthogonal burn direction: no fancy "combined burns" here).

And what "help" thread would be complete without a link to Scott Manley: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYu7z3I8tdEmqpOkQZCl5SZB5t0vXuxE0

Note that this is severely out of data (0.23), so any advice in getting to orbit is useless.  It covers all the basics and puts them together in the last video (which should be the only one you need) for getting to another planet.

6 hours ago, Flightgames66 said:

Please, can anyone help me with this? 

G'day my fellow sand groper. This is how I go interplanetary (some of this information is duplicated up thread but I thought I'd write it up in point form):

The kerbal subway map is a good source of information on how much dV you will need to get to any planet or moon.

Duna is a great place to start.  According to the map you need 5090dv to orbit Duna from the surface of kerbin (I'd add 10% for safety and orbital manouvers).  This assumes you follow standard procedures:
1.  Get to low Kerbin orbit.
2.  Depart low Kerbin orbit at the correct phase angle - this means leaving at a time when it is most efficient for a Hoffman maneuver to your destination.
3.  Once you have an intercepting course, warp time to the half way point between Kerbin and Duna.  Perform a course adjustment:
Create a maneuver node 10 or 20 minutes ahead of your vessel - just place it without changing anything.  Then click on Duna and select focus view - this will change your view to the destination and should show your plotted course in the sphere of influence of your destination.  Rotate your view until you can see both the path through the SOI and the node you just created and you can now use that node to plan and execute a burn that will bring you close to your intended orbit or even into an atmosphere for aerobraking.  The course adjustment is usually very cheap on Dv and you get savings by doing your capture burn nearer your destination planet/moon (benefiting from the Oberth effect).  If you want to RV and dock with a station at Duna then you should make sure that you get close to your target altitude and orbiting in the same direction. 
4.  (Your OP reads a little ambiguously with regards to docking so I'll add this, just in case) Once you are in orbit (I start with a highly elliptical orbit as it makes the next step cheaper in Dv), match inclination with your target (the slower you are the less Dv it takes so always use the furthest node from the planet or moon). Adjust Ap and Pe until the orbits of both vessels intercept (try to make a slightly higher orbit if your target is behind you or a lower orbit if it's ahead).  Wait until you get fairly close to an intercept and then adjust with a maneuver node until you get really close (I try to get within 300-400m) and with a low speed relative to your target (I like it to be no more than 5 or 6m/s at this stage).  High speed intercepts are possible but will use more monoprop and fray your nerves.  Once you get 400-500m away switch all your attention to the nav ball, making sure its in target mode.  Depending on where your docking point is and if you are faster or slower than your target, you need to match up either the prograde or retrograde marker to the target and slow down to .2 or .3m/s to dock.
5. Profit!

Edited by James Kerman
Adjusting text

Orbital Rendevzous:

I've pretty much mastered orbital rendezvous, without mods, i have maybe 2000 hours. I suggest leading your targets when you launch, and if your target winds up infront of the ship, drop your orbit. What that will do, is the ship you're in will move faster, as it is closer to the planet, and you will eventually catch up to the target. This effect is the opposite when your target is behind you.

I however suck at launch windows.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.