[1.5] LinuxGuruGamers Mod Updates and Prioritization - Mostly done

linuxgurugamer

This thread is to provide information on the progress of getting all my mods updated for 1.5, and a place where people can ask the dreaded "Please update xxx" or "Is this mod updated", etc. questions.  Please don't overdo it (ie: don't ask for 50 mods to be updated first).

Given how many mods I'm maintaining, I have a spreadsheet which shows the current status of each mod, available here: https://goo.gl/KxlgIC

Please refer to it for the status of a specific mod

I'm going to be starting the updating all my mods in a few days, probably after 1.5.1 is released.  Given that there are more than 163 of them, which includes mods I've written and mods I've adopted, I'm looking to prioritize the mods.

Look at the list of mods in the spreadsheet, and post a message listing the top 3-4 that you feel should be done first.  

If you feel very strongly about a mod, and really, really want it sooner, feel free to make a donation to me either via PayPal or Patreon, and indicate what you are interested in.  There is no requirement that anybody do so, but it would be an incentive for me to work on a specific mod.  Eventually all mods will be updated, except for one or two which have been superseded by the new features in 1.5.  All of the mods will work on stock, they will not require the DLC to run.

Donation Links

Some of my mods depend on other mods, obviously those won't be able to be updated until their dependencies have been satisfied.

All my mods have now been updated for 1.5 except for the following:

• Kerbal HotSeat, waiting on CLS to be updated
  • Kerbal Animation Suite, in progress
Edited by linuxgurugamer

I can wait for most of it, but My #1 request would be Editor Extensions Redux. a lot of my craft rely on offsetting past the stock limits, and almost all autostruts broke with the update, so it would be nice to have to fix them.

thank you so much for what you do for this community!

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

@linuxgurugamer Great idea to handle requests :)

Would it be helpful if other people do a recompile of a mod, test it and report the results to you or is it just disturbing in your own workflow?

If they find bugs, yes, otherwise it doesn't hurt me, and can be helpful

I'd start with Click Through Blocker, Toolbar Controller and Blizzy's Toolbar since many other mods rely on these. Beyond that, do you have any data on the number of downloads on each mod? I'd look at the most popular and work my way down the list.

ToolbarController and Click-Through Blocker are given I think, as so many others rely on them now...

To be able to build ships, I've become heavily reliant on Janitor's Closet, EEX, Stage Recovery, PAD, and CorrectCoL; they give me the information and tools I need to get everything in the right places. I'd like varied parts packs to become "official" of course but as we're so often telling other people, they tend to keep working across patch releases unless there's exceptional circumstances.

Agree on what is said above. Mods that have high dependency requirement for other mods out there should have highest priority like Click trough blocker and Blizzy's toolbar. After that mods that have great impact on gameplay quality. For me it is RCS build aid then precision maneuver node. Never used other quality change mods like Janitor's Closet, but seems to be useful for a lot of people, so, yes, those shoul dbe next.

On third row of priority list should be mods that are more/less easy to update (simple recompile if it is enough). Reason is to give community as much as possible updated mods and soon as possible. After that things should be more calm and be less pressure when comes to bugfixing things. Those can be tiresome at times.

Just my two cents on this, pretty much what I would do if I have to provide support on so many mods. Other than that, take your own pace with updates, how much time you can devote for it and what gives you most joy when working on it. Moding does not have sense if you don't enjoy a bit while doing it.

Editor Extensions, RCS Build Aid, CorrectCoL.

In addition to the monthly $5, I just sent you $20 for additional snacks to fuel your coding binge. Not a bribe, just a thank you.

I suspect CorrectCoL will be vital to players who haven't heard about Squads insanely amateurish drag bug.

Oh man, I didn't realize how many mods you maintain and own, until I saw your spreadsheet. I have to give you much respect for doing all that. If it wasn't for you, a lot of those mods, mostly smaller ones would of been lost forever. Believe me, I've been around since 0.12 of the game, way back when the Mun was first added, and I saw a lot of mods come and go. To prove, I have a handful of parts that came from mods that haven't been around in a very long time.

I'll be honest, I say like 95% of the mods or my mods work fine. They only ones I noticed had issues were like graphic ones, Texture Replacer, but that is understandable since Squad added in new suits and possible change the names of some textures. 

1 hour ago, therealcrow999 said:

Oh man, I didn't realize how many mods you maintain and own, until I saw your spreadsheet. I have to give you much respect for doing all that. If it wasn't for you, a lot of those mods, mostly smaller ones would of been lost forever. Believe me, I've been around since 0.12 of the game, way back when the Mun was first added, and I saw a lot of mods come and go. To prove, I have a handful of parts that came from mods that haven't been around in a very long time.

I'll be honest, I say like 95% of the mods or my mods work fine. They only ones I noticed had issues were like graphic ones, Texture Replacer, but that is understandable since Squad added in new suits and possible change the names of some textures. 

Parts mods should be fine, except for the ones with external command seats, those will need an additional line added.

Other mods (not just mine) should be recompiled, for safety.  You never know when something minor will show itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.