Strategic Bomber Procurement (Reboot!)

9 hours ago, Laie said:

Has anyone ever mentioned that stock "airliner" wings are too damn small? Certainly in relation to a Mk3 fuselage?

rocklobster.jpg

That's the best I can do on a single pair of wings. Carries a meager 50 bombs.

I agree, so I usually resort to using the space shuttle rudders spammed along the sides because of the insane amount of lift.

Finally got my first entry sorted out. I'm starting off with a light bomber. This one carries only 20 bombs, but it goes pretty darn fast!

YZQHeUg.jpg

It managed to do the mission in a mere 13 minutes and 43 seconds (I'm sure someone will do better at some point, but for now, gimme that fastest bomber award!)

Spoiler

kjqPQI5.jpg

On the runway, yes it does hold 2 pilots.

jg03pIA.jpg

dropping all 20 bombs after just under 8 minutes. Valentina has gone bald in the mean time.

gbwe2kL.jpg

And back to a full stop in 13mins and 43 secs.

Cruising speed at 3km is roughly 1350 m/s, though the bomber won't usually cruise at that altitude because of the insane fuel drain

Spoiler

9ngqcdh.jpg

And yes, it does carry an SSTO, not under the wing but on top of the hull.

glmBI2x.jpg

Spoiler

CmJd6Ba.jpg

N4scMrw.jpg

It can nuke the VAB quite easily.

RQjzV6m.jpg

And it can generate 10+ G's at low altitude

Spoiler

x9vGkRL.jpg

And eventually its service ceiling is definitely above 12km and it ticks the requirements for "gentle giant" as well.

Just doing the maths real quick gives me a final score of 468.38

Oh, and the thing goes by the uninteresting name of "CL-A2"

Edited by panzerknoef

5 hours ago, panzerknoef said:

Finally got my first entry sorted out. I'm starting off with a light bomber. This one carries only 20 bombs, but it goes pretty darn fast!

YZQHeUg.jpg

It managed to do the mission in a mere 13 minutes and 43 seconds (I'm sure someone will do better at some point, but for now, gimme that fastest bomber award!)

Reveal hidden contents

kjqPQI5.jpg

On the runway, yes it does hold 2 pilots.

jg03pIA.jpg

dropping all 20 bombs after just under 8 minutes. Valentina has gone bald in the mean time.

gbwe2kL.jpg

And back to a full stop in 13mins and 43 secs.

Cruising speed at 3km is roughly 1350 m/s, though the bomber won't usually cruise at that altitude because of the insane fuel drain

Reveal hidden contents

9ngqcdh.jpg

And yes, it does carry an SSTO, not under the wing but on top of the hull.

glmBI2x.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

CmJd6Ba.jpg

N4scMrw.jpg

It can nuke the VAB quite easily.

RQjzV6m.jpg

And it can generate 10+ G's at low altitude

Reveal hidden contents

x9vGkRL.jpg

And eventually its service ceiling is definitely above 12km and it ticks the requirements for "gentle giant" as well.

Just doing the maths real quick gives me a final score of 468.38

Oh, and the thing goes by the uninteresting name of "CL-A2"

Pretty wing shape! You are now in second place behind my "Benchmark". I don't think trying to surpass it is good for a PC, however.

19 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Pretty wing shape! You are now in second place behind my "Benchmark". I don't think trying to surpass it is good for a PC, however.

First of all, challenge accepted! Even if it means reaching a few spf! 

And second

16 hours ago, Laie said:

simplebomber2.jpg

My latest, the moment after it slithered to a halt. Let's all it KISS-2 or something. I haven't done any serious trials, so no score, but I want that F back.

I'll do everything to get my F back if you do take it! 

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

I guess I just have to beat both of you to keep you from fighting over the F :D

Also - send help my PC doesn't like running 800 odd parts in the air.

Why do you do this to yourself for challenges. Why.

KerbalX link?

3 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Are mod propeller engines allowed? I pretty much can't make anything look good without propeller engines. Jet engines just don't look right on bombers to me anymore.

I'd bet they are if they don't run on EC, because everyone should have to deal with the nightmare that is fuel efficiency. One of the scoreboards is for modded entries that use more than the allowed mods, so it would still qualify.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

KerbalX link?

Cause I hate myself. And I thought more than 200 bombs on a space-capable bomber would be funny.

still working on it. Might send a dropbox link though.

1 hour ago, Kernel Kraken said:

-snipity snip snip snip-

I'd bet they are if they don't run on EC, because everyone should have to deal with the nightmare that is fuel efficiency. One of the scoreboards is for modded entries that use more than the allowed mods, so it would still qualify.

Definitely. Electric engines in general have high to infinite effeciency, but are underpowered. For what I'm planning, I would need about... Maybe 100.

For EC bombers to be relevent here, they would have to have just enough EC production to have good range, but need to land to recharge. LF prop engines are best, though, as they are more powerful and can get to higher speeds.

4 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well because.

Also, I haven't done any trials because, it's a small plane, built for speed. It has considerable cargo capacity, can smash the VAB and deploy a spaceplane, but ultimately, the biggest bomber wins. This vessel can't possibly compete in that field, why bother? Your too lazy to do the maths, and I'm too lazy to even determine the number when I know full well that they're all for naught.

It can do a bomb run and return in 12:13, that's the only metric I care about.

Edited by Laie

1 hour ago, Laie said:

Well because.

Also, I haven't done any trials because, it's a small plane, built for speed. It has considerable cargo capacity, can smash the VAB and deploy a spaceplane, but ultimately, the biggest bomber wins. This vessel can't possibly compete in that field, why bother? Your too lazy to do the maths, and I'm too lazy to even determin the number when I know full well that they're all for naught.

It can do a bomb run and return in 12:13, that's the only metric I care about.

The OP actually says that there would be different scoring for different plane sizes... As long as those categories aren't implemented it's indeed all about adding more bombs and very little beyond that... 

Also, 10:43

27 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

The OP actually says that there would be different scoring for different plane sizes... As long as those categories aren't implemented it's indeed all about adding more bombs and very little beyond that... 

Oh yeah, forgot to do the different scoreboards! I am not good at rebooting.

1 hour ago, panzerknoef said:

So we're approaching the margins? Color me impressed. Nevertheless, here's 10:24.

There can be no talk of aiming for a particular target, but I try to make a point of seeing (and hearing) my bombs impact the ground. Still, I was out of physics range before the last ones came down... I guess it's obvious that there's still room for improvement, but I won't get to do any better for the next couple of days and want to claim my F as long as I still can. So, 10:24 is what I have for now.

It's the "Bummer", carries 18 bombs, probably cannot circumnavigate at any speed, but can carry a lot more mass than it does on this flight. As a best guess, it should be somewhere upwards of 400pts. Quick check, >1200m/s@3km, 144 for extra payload, a few odds and ends, doing my own maths... at least 400 points, possibly 430.

Edited by Laie

1 hour ago, sturmhauke said:

You'll definitely need a mod leaderboard if you're allowing Tweakscale now. That makes it significantly easier to make large wings, and by extension large payloads.

The mod leaderboard is for planes with mods not allowed. Tweakscale is just fun to break stuff with.

47 minutes ago, Laie said:

So we're approaching the margins? Color me impressed. Nevertheless, here's 10:24.

There can be no talk of aiming for a particular target, but I try to make a point of seeing (and hearing) my bombs impact the ground. Still, I was out of physics range before the last ones came down... I guess it's obvious that there's still room for improvement, but 10:24 is what I have for now.

Are you going to do the math, try for a better run, or do you want me to put it up?

49 minutes ago, Laie said:

There can be no talk of aiming for a particular target, but I try to make a point of seeing (and hearing) my bombs impact the ground. Still, I was out of physics range before the last ones came down... I guess it's obvious that there's still room for improvement, but 10:24 is what I have for now.

Dropping the bombs like that does save a good minute or so of slowing down for a casual bomb run... It's an interesting technique, I'll probably use it on my next run! 

Post collision! I just did a speed test (1200m/s at 3km, running on infinite propellant -full load- for for longer than the fuel would last without risk of burning up) and best-guessed the rest, updated my previous post. A good 400 points, I'd say. I probably won't get to to do anything better for the next two days, so this is what I got.

A propos of nothing, what makes for a good VAB-buster?

16 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

Dropping the bombs like that does save a good minute or so of slowing down for a casual bomb run... It's an interesting technique, I'll probably use it on my next run! 

A looping would probably be better still, but that's beyond me. Our planes are already as fast as it gets; from now on any improvements must be skill alone -- that's why I wanted to post this while it's still fresh.

Edited by Laie

31 minutes ago, Laie said:

Post collision! I just did a speed test (1200m/s at 3km, running on infinite propellant -full load- for for longer than the fuel would last without risk of burning up) and best-guessed the rest, updated my previous post. A good 400 points, I'd say. I probably won't get to to do anything better for the next two days, so this is what I got.

A propos of nothing, what makes for a good VAB-buster?

A looping would probably be better still, but that's beyond me. Our planes are already as fast as it gets; from now on any improvements must be skill alone -- that's why I wanted to post this while it's still fresh.

Yeah I'm already hitting the boundaries of overheating, it's gonna be balancing speed and survival on a knifes edge from now on! Don't even know if I'm gonna be able to beat you... I do think my plane can survive the G forces of a looping at +/- 1400m/s but we'll see... 

As for the vab killer, just strap some steal beams to the ore tanks and you should be fine 

55 minutes ago, panzerknoef said:

As for the vab killer, just strap some steal beams to the ore tanks and you should be fine 

I made this other bomber a while back. It's not eligible for this challenge since the payload is wing-mounted, but you can get a look at my heavy rockets if you need an alternate payload design.

Spoiler

AVXLL6z.png

4dWnBeb.png

AKcrudY.png

wNq3zv9.png

vfauhlk.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.