KSP now uses all my CPU cores

GeneCash

So for the longest time, KSP has used just one core for most of the game, and sometimes running mods like MechJeb in a second core.

I started up 1.5 and xosview and now it finally uses all 8 cores.

Nice! Thumbs up!

1 hour ago, GeneCash said:

So for the longest time, KSP has used just one core for most of the game, and sometimes running mods like MechJeb in a second core.

I started up 1.5 and xosview and now it finally uses all 8 cores.

Nice! Thumbs up!

What!? I have to check that out next time I run the game. 

I can confirm that KSP is using all of my cores while playing now (never checked it prior to this so...idk if that means anything), and performance with high part count ships seems... better? (Possibly placebo affect I guess. I get pretty high frames regardless.)

There was a windows update recently, didn't really pay attention to what it did.

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

There was a windows update recently, didn't really pay attention to what it did.

Are all of your files still there?  *snort*

GoG finally updated with 1.5 Linux installers, so I'll have to do some side-by-side comparisons between stock 1.4.5 and stock 1.5.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Alright but how the windows update could change the way how unity based game uses CPU?

I've no clue, but I think we've pretty much established it wasn't a change on KSP's end. Pretty sure that would have been in the patch notes?

I have some older installs lying around, When I have time I guess I could fire one up and see if it only utilizes one core? That would tell us where the change is originating, if there is one.

11 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Well I fired up 1.3.1 and there was no difference, I see activity on all cores when running KSP and I'm not doing anything else.

Take from that what you will. For all I know there was activity on all cores prior; I never checked it before now.

Same here. Never checked before either as far as I remember, at least not with nothing running in the background.

Probably should have mentioned this was Linux, not Windows...  (I keep forgetting Windows isn't as dead and buried as DOS)

Edit: from my Googling, this is a result of upgrading Unity

Edited by GeneCash

6 hours ago, sl2va said:

1.5.1 version still use 2 cores for physics and maybe +1 core for aerodynamics FX. I really want to see in next update optimization for all cores.

#AddCpuOptimizationForAllCores

I, too, would absolutely love this; however, I also understand (even as a complete non-coder) that this would be a herculean task that would probably be limited by the work the Unity engine developers have done :)

I'd probably actually pay for that to be an update though..

40 minutes ago, MR L A said:

I, too, would absolutely love this; however, I also understand (even as a complete non-coder) that this would be a herculean task that would probably be limited by the work the Unity engine developers have done :)

I'd probably actually pay for that to be an update though..

I think it's possible because there's PhysX that use a lot GPU cores (really a lot cores, 500 for example) for physics calculation.

2 hours ago, sl2va said:

I think it's possible because there's PhysX that use a lot GPU cores (really a lot cores, 500 for example) for physics calculation.

Yeah but that's basically GPU acceleration, not CPU multi-threading. They are two very different things - and yeah, of course it's possible, it is just a hell of a lot of work - and not work that SQUAD can necessarily do anything about considering they don't own the Unity engine. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.