[KSP >= 1.3.0] TweakScale - Under Lisias' Management - 2.4.7.6 - 2024-0322

Lisias

15 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

Seemed to produce an empty txt file.. Strange.

weird. type a single "dir" instead and print the screenshot.

16 minutes ago, ElonsMusk said:

100 pages! Congratz! lol.

"My Kraken... It's full of tyops...." :sticktongue:

On 5/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, ElonsMusk said:

Does this work?
GameData dir txt

I'm glad I learned this. It will come in handy for future re-installs. :D

Yes, it will do. But, to tell you the true, the "DIR /S" should be listing all directories inside GameData too, I was expecting a huge text file with every file inside GameData. Obviously, I made something wrong - but without a working Windows Machine around, I can't test it properly.

In a way or another, I had messed up something on my side - I have an old Dell 1U server that I use to munch data, but it's broken. I bought the new part to fix it, but I bought the wrong part and so I could not fix the damned machine today as I was expecting... :mad:

So I could not finish my "reverse engineering" program that would rebuild a CKAN file from a DIR/S thingy like I asked from you - building all that inverted lists would take too much time on my MacPotato (and I don't even have the disk space needed...)

The replacement parts (screw it, I'm improvising now) will arrive only on Monday.

Damn. :(

Well, @Crimor had nailed down his side of the problem, so I will give it a shoot now. With a bit of luck, one of the dependencies that is causing the problem it's also present on your rig and this can help diagnosing it. Fingers crossed! :)

I'll be back to you soon.

-- -- -- POST EDIT -- -- -- 

@CrimorFull details here. We have a confirmation, BDB parts are not being fully scaled - the maxAmount of a Resource is being reset while OnCopying (but the current amount is preserved).

My best guess at this moment is the same as yours: something on B9PS. I don't think it's something on BDB patches for TweakScale, as the part is being scaled correcly on the original part. The problem appears to be on the OnCopy processing.

-- -- -- POST EDIT -- -- -- 

Yep... I checked B9PS code. It is not handling the OnCopy callback. I'm investigating if there's something I can do.

Edited by Lisias
About Crimor's problem

On 4/13/2021 at 12:06 AM, Lisias said:

Hey, you found something apparently old - initially, I was thinking that I screwed up something when implementing support for Variants, as the S3-1440 has variants. But then I redid the test with the S3-7200 (that doesn't have Variants), and I reproduced the problem the same way. On a wild guess, I think the error is happening because the code is selecting the wrong attachment node to base the scaling on...

So I made some more tests, and realised that of the parts I tried, only Command Modules presented the misbehaviour - other fuels tanks, engines, etc none of them had misbehaved when attached to the bottom of the root part.

Then I tried a MK1 Inline Cockpit, and it unexpectedly behave nicely, so this ruled out the Command Module thesis.

Then I tried an Aerodynamic Nose Cone, and I got the misbehaviour again.

Then a light bulb lightened somewhere inside my dull head and I redid the test with the Mk1 Inline Cockpit, but rotating it before attachment, and then I reproduced it on this part.

I think the code is not handling correctly the rotation of the part that needs to be displaced due the scaling of its parent.

Link to the Issue: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/175

I'm not sure if this is related but I often have issues on 1.11.2 with rescaled stock tanks that are attached to radial decouplers.  Upon opening or reverting to the editor the tanks are shifted either further in, or out, radially.  Typically selecting with the offset tool, then hitting spacebar, will take them back to where they are supposed to be.  As if they are getting some kind of incorrect offset based on a skewed reading of the rescaling maybe (much of the the time I haven't offset them initially at all).  But if I don't notice the odd offset, then that becomes the new normal and selecting with offset tool and hitting space bar just returns them to that incorrect position.  So it is cumulative

10 hours ago, darthgently said:

I'm not sure if this is related but I often have issues on 1.11.2 with rescaled stock tanks that are attached to radial decouplers.  Upon opening or reverting to the editor the tanks are shifted either further in, or out, radially.  Typically selecting with the offset tool, then hitting spacebar, will take them back to where they are supposed to be.  As if they are getting some kind of incorrect offset based on a skewed reading of the rescaling maybe (much of the the time I haven't offset them initially at all).  But if I don't notice the odd offset, then that becomes the new normal and selecting with offset tool and hitting space bar just returns them to that incorrect position.  So it is cumulative

Yep. Old bug, but only diagnosed recently.  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/175

The problem happens because the current code always assume that every part is "facing forwards". You invert a part and attach it on a scaled part, and TweakScale ends up replacing the attached part relative to the wrong node.

If you flip the radial decoupler, the parts should be displaced correctly. It may workaround the problem for now.

Edited by Lisias
Better choose of words.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, darthgently said:

Are there any patches for Waterfall with regards to TweakScale?  Or is my install missing something?  Not a huge deal, but it does look a bit strange

You need to install TweakScale Companion for Visuals, currently in Alpha . Please report any problems on that thread! :)

Cheers!

1 minute ago, darthgently said:

Until the savefile issue is resolved I think I'll hold off.  Unless the issue is purely cosmetic. Are glitches/crashes involved?

What issue? That one in which the plume scaling is reset? It's purely cosmetic, and the published alpha version has this kinda tackled down. But I didn't had the time to check why the Revert to Launch is resetting it.

If by any chance, you are talking about bad patching (that pesky Warnings on booting KSP), then it will only be solved when you send me the KSP.log and Module Manager Patch logs for inspecting. These are not TweakScale problems, they are someone else screwing up and I need these logs to check what's happening in order to have a fix or workaround for them.

11 hours ago, Krazy1 said:

Just a possibly related issue for engine plumes:  https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/27

On a Pure Stock environment,  yes. I never managed to overwrite the Stock Plumes, it appears to be hard-coded somehow on the ModuleEngine.

With WaterfallFX (as long you have the patches to support it), by installing TweakScale Companion for Visuals everything that was patched for TweakScale *and also* for WaterfallFX will have the Plumes correctly scaled.

See this post for more information:

On the bright side, once I manage to find time to really study the WaterfallFX source code (I was focused on Scaling last time), perhaps I can find the insight I need to scale the Stock Plumes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 8:15 AM, Jebediah Kerman - Earth said:

Upon loading, of which it took 1 hour 30 minutes with Galaxies Unbound installed, I got a message from tweakscale that a FATAL ERROR had occurred.

This is not exactly TweakScale's problem, it's a third party patch messing up: you have a rogue patch on your GameData.

But without the KSP.log, I can't help. Please publish the KSP.log and the Module Manager Log so I can't diagnose the problem and propose a fix. See the OP (under the Spoiler on the Support subtitle) for instructions.

Spoiler

Support:

I need help in order to proper help you. :) Open the spoiler for instructions about how to get support:

Hide contents

Please provide:

• A concise, textual description of the problem
    • Mentioning the KSP version and the TweakScale version involved
  • A screenshot of the problem
  • When applicable, the .craft file with a vessel that have the problem
  • When asked, the KSP.log and output_txt log from Unity.
    • See this article for instructions.
    • The Player.log changed location:
      • On MacOS
        • For KSP < 1.8, they are on ~/Library/Logs/Unity
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/Library/Logs/Squad/KSP/
      • On Windows
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\KSP\
      • On Linux
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/KSP/
    • Publish the files on DropBox, Google Drive or similar, and post the link so we can inspect it.
      • DO NOT paste the log on Forum, this causes a lot of problems and it's useless, as Forum also truncate the file
        • It's ok to paste small excerpts to pinpoint something, but we still need the full KSP.log and Player.log in order to help you/
      • Do not use pastebin, gist or similars. They have a pretty small cap on the file size, and will truncate the log rendering yet more useless
    • Imgur is a good choice for publishing screenshots when needed.
  • TweakScale suggests using KSPBugReport for automate filling your bug reports!

Using the Issue Tracker is highly encouraged, as GitHub provides services that make everything above easier. You can open an issue there, and call me here pinpointing there to be sure to get my attention.

Thank you.

Additionally... 90 minutes to load the game is too much... How much memory you have? How about moving the KSP to an SSD? This will improve the loading time a lot, and if you tell the O.S. to transparently compress the GameData, it will help even more!

Edited by Lisias
Tyop!

For around a month I have been experiencing an issue in which waterfall plumes would not work with the engines from the cryo engines mod, though they do work with other engines. I have been trying to resolve the issue and apparently the player log has a lot of Errors with Tweakscale. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix sed errors.

30 minutes ago, rocketman525 said:

For around a month I have been experiencing an issue in which waterfall plumes would not work with the engines from the cryo engines mod, though they do work with other engines. I have been trying to resolve the issue and apparently the player log has a lot of Errors with Tweakscale. I was wondering if anyone here knows how to fix sed errors.

You need support for both TweakScale and Waterfall on a part to have it scale the plumes.

Publish the KSP.log and the Module Manager Patch log so I can inspect it and see who is borking on the patching. Without these logs, I can't help.

See the post previous to yours to get instructions about how to locate and publish these logs.

8 hours ago, rocketman525 said:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vrontu8k2k53nff/files.zip/file

Just so you know, the engines from CryoEngines's plumes did not work at all.

Well, let's play Jack The Ripper (let's do it by parts :P ):

1. CryoEngines doesn't scales!
    1. You need TweakScale support for it, currently unavailable
    2. I'm working on a new Companion for Post-Kerbin-Mining-Corporation non NF add'ons - but I will work on it only after KSP 1.12 is on the wild and I checked if it will break any of my Add'Ons (and fixed it, of course)
  2. CryoEngines doesn't have nice plumes!
    1. You need WaterfallFX support for it, but I don't know if it is available.
    2. Check with the Waterfall guys for it.
    3. Until there, you may want to use SmokeScreen.
      1. I had read that Waterfall "reuses" SmokeScreen configs, so perhaps installing SmokeScreen will "fix" this problem by colateral effect?
  3. CryoEngine scales fine and have nice plumes, but the plumes are not scaling!
    1. You need to install TweakScale Companion for Visuals (currently in alpha)
    2. Report any problems on the TweakScale Companion Thread.
      1. Except by the Plumes being unscaled on Revert to Launch, as this is a known issue.
  4. "My God! It's full of Fatalities..."
    1. THIS is what I can fix here. See below

Well, you sent me Player.log, not the KSP.log - TweakScale doesn't logs on Player.log, only on KSP.log - and some logs gets truncated on the Player.log, hindering the diagnosing - see what's logged on your Player Log:

[TweakScale] INFO: WriteDryCost Concluded : 1335 parts found ; 0 checks failed ; 0 parts with hotfixes ; 0 parts

Now compares with some other KSP.log from a problem I solved in the past that I have on my records:

[LOG 13:53:52.997] [TweakScale] INFO: WriteDryCost Concluded : 1155 parts found ; 0 checks failed ; 0 parts with hotfixes ; 0 parts with issues overruled ; 304 Show Stoppers found; 0 Sanity Check failed; 310 unscalable parts.

As you see, Player.log truncated the line, and now I'm missing the very information I need to save me a lot of work: how many Show Stoppers and how many Sanity Checks failed you have.

On the bright side, I didn't found any TweakScale log with a WARNING or an ERROR, so apparently there're no patch errors on you rig. But without the KSP.log, I can't be sure.

Edited by Lisias
Yep. Moar Tyops!

will there be support for WBI OmniStorage part module? so that hwen you increase part size the total volume of the part too be divided into seperate resources also increases? i tried it recently and when a part is scaled the total volume in WBI Omnistorage stays the same. 

I will try to go over this in more detail when I can as it's a lot of information, but just to be sure we're on the same page, the issue here started with cryo engines and waterfall. The engines scale fine as far as I know, but even if they're the original size there are no plumes AT ALL. Eventually, I sent a log to the cryo engines developer and they said that they saw something about tweakscale and if I fix it, they think it'll work.  Anyway, I'll try to send you the KSP log.

20 hours ago, 123nick said:

will there be support for WBI OmniStorage part module? so that hwen you increase part size the total volume of the part too be divided into seperate resources also increases? i tried it recently and when a part is scaled the total volume in WBI Omnistorage stays the same. 

Yes, that's for sure. A Companion for Wild Blue is planned, but I confess I delayed it (a lot) due the changes happening on KSP since 1.10. I have successfully worked on scaling KIS containers, for example, but since KSP 1.11 KIS have some problems with the new Stock Inventory System (not to mention TweakScale itself, I need to understand this too before applying patches for it on the main distribution).

Trying to work WBI Omnistorage would open yet a new front on this battle, so I'm dragging my feet a bit on this one. I'll probably work on it after I implement proper TweakScale support for the Stock Inventory. In a way or another, there's a task for it already : https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScaleCompanion/issues/12

20 hours ago, rocketman525 said:

I will try to go over this in more detail when I can as it's a lot of information, but just to be sure we're on the same page, the issue here started with cryo engines and waterfall. The engines scale fine as far as I know, but even if they're the original size there are no plumes AT ALL.

Did you installed the TweakScale Companion for Visuals? Without it, TweakScale don't know now to handle WaterfallFX.

TweakScale just shutdown itself down when you do not scale a part, so it's pretty improbable that TweakScale would be causing this problem on unscaled parts - but, granted, it's not impossible (I may had borked on the shutdown proceedings on unexpected situations...).

20 hours ago, rocketman525 said:

Eventually, I sent a log to the cryo engines developer and they said that they saw something about tweakscale and if I fix it, they think it'll work.  Anyway, I'll try to send you the KSP log.

Well... There's a way to be sure about: backup your savegames (just in case...), uninstall TweakScale, create a new savegame and try to reproduce the problem on a unescaled CryoEngine to see what happens.

Then shutdown KSP, reinstall TweakScale and redo the process on the same savegame you used before.

This will rule out or confirm TweakScale as a trigger for the problem - and, with the full KSP.log from the session you managed to reproduce the problem, I can try to hunt the problem being triggered.

Edited by Lisias
Of cuorse, tyops!

Thanks for the response on my Question

However, now i ask another

Should i be worried about this pop up? i got it when saving a vessel, and then loading it again. i didnt restart KSP between  saving it and looking at it in the VAB saved vessels list, which is weird that it would show a module as missing when i just saved it.

Spoiler

ohPjTku.png

https://gist.github.com/a7b404311b670556442f7121567a54a9

https://gist.github.com/b00a6f982e0cf3b74a5233ee053cb078

https://gist.github.com/d9b00af89e07a1af3220d4e0c34f73de

logs are linked, player and output and KSP.log.

7 hours ago, 123nick said:

Thanks for the response on my Question

However, now i ask another

Welcome!

Lets' dig on this new one...

Should i be worried about this pop up? i got it when saving a vessel, and then loading it again. i didnt restart KSP between  saving it and looking at it in the VAB saved vessels list, which is weird that it would show a module as missing when i just saved it.

Hide contents

ohPjTku.png

No. You had a problem of double patching (i.e., when someone applies TweakScale again disregarding any previously existent patch). This was pretty nasty at a time because the code that were responsible for "migration" of scaling was not working due a change on KSP, and so having a double patch would would render your scaled parts corrupted if by any chance the order of patching was altered - only the first patch is used, if it vanishes, the second patch would be used and then weird things could happen:

Spoiler

54075134-4efa9880-427a-11e9-9d24-0917306

And so TweakScale, on saving, renamed all the non used patches to "TweakScaleRogueDuplicate" to prevent this from happening.

So, you had an annoyance glitch in the past, and now that the glitch is not more, this is just an echo from the times the glitch was happening.

You can safely ignore this, as it will be removed as you save the crafts again.

On the other hand... I found this on your KSP.log:

[LOG 17:50:23.794] [TweakScale] INFO: WriteDryCost Concluded : 3081 parts found ; 1 checks failed ; 0 parts with hotfixes ; 0 parts with issues overruled ; 0 Show Stoppers found; 0 Sanity Check failed; 1101 unscalable parts.

One of the sanity checks failed to execute, and looking for it I found this:

[LOG 17:50:23.456] [TweakScale] ERROR: part=opt.vtol.wrapj1 (OPT-E FVT-J) Exception on Sanity Checks: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ConfigNode.CopyToRecursive (ConfigNode node, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x00000] in <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0
  at ConfigNode.CopyToRecursive (ConfigNode node, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x0014a] in <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0
  at ConfigNode.CopyToRecursive (ConfigNode node, System.Boolean overwrite) [0x0014a] in <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0
  at ConfigNode.CreateCopy () [0x00006] in <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0
  at GameDatabase.GetConfigNode (System.String url) [0x0002f] in <06f13185617646e5bc801baeab53ab75>:0
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.GetMeThatConfigNode (Part p) [0x00005] in <f137bf7c0dfc4221bd660b246ac5a59f>:0
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter.checkForOverrules (Part p) [0x00000] in <f137bf7c0dfc4221bd660b246ac5a59f>:0
  at TweakScale.PrefabDryCostWriter+<WriteDryCost>d__3.MoveNext () [0x00417] in <f137bf7c0dfc4221bd660b246ac5a59f>:0  at error:0

There's something happening preventing TweakScale from checking the Config Node for opt.vtol.wrapj1 (OPT-E FVT-J) .

I don't have the slightest idea why this happens sometimes - it's something borking inside KSP's guts for sure, by why this is happening I never figured it out

Since this part was not checked, it may be borked or it may be working fine. Just to err on the safe side, create something with this part scaled, save it, reload it, launch it, restart to launch, go to the main menu, reload back the savegame and check if it keeps working fine.

On 6/15/2021 at 6:23 AM, Lisias said:

This is not exactly TweakScale's problem, it's a third party patch messing up: you have a rogue patch on your GameData.

But without the KSP.log, I can't help. Please publish the KSP.log and the Module Manager Log so I can't diagnose the problem and propose a fix. See the OP (under the Spoiler on the Support subtitle) for instructions.

Hide contents

Support:

I need help in order to proper help you. :) Open the spoiler for instructions about how to get support:

Reveal hidden contents
   Hide contents

Please provide:

• A concise, textual description of the problem
    • Mentioning the KSP version and the TweakScale version involved
  • A screenshot of the problem
  • When applicable, the .craft file with a vessel that have the problem
  • When asked, the KSP.log and output_txt log from Unity.
    • See this article for instructions.
    • The Player.log changed location:
      • On MacOS
        • For KSP < 1.8, they are on ~/Library/Logs/Unity
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/Library/Logs/Squad/KSP/
      • On Windows
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\KSP\
      • On Linux
        • On KSP >=1.8, you will find the Player.log on ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/KSP/
    • Publish the files on DropBox, Google Drive or similar, and post the link so we can inspect it.
      • DO NOT paste the log on Forum, this causes a lot of problems and it's useless, as Forum also truncate the file
        • It's ok to paste small excerpts to pinpoint something, but we still need the full KSP.log and Player.log in order to help you/
      • Do not use pastebin, gist or similars. They have a pretty small cap on the file size, and will truncate the log rendering yet more useless
    • Imgur is a good choice for publishing screenshots when needed.
  • TweakScale suggests using KSPBugReport for automate filling your bug reports!

Using the Issue Tracker is highly encouraged, as GitHub provides services that make everything above easier. You can open an issue there, and call me here pinpointing there to be sure to get my attention.

Thank you.

Additionally... 90 minutes to load the game is too much... How much memory you have? How about moving the KSP to an SSD? This will improve the loading time a lot, and if you tell the O.S. to transparently compress the GameData, it will help even more!

16G of RAM and not a seperate hard drive SSD or USB. :(

The issue has since been fixed though.

1 hour ago, Jebediah Kerman - Earth said:

16G of RAM and not a seperate hard drive SSD or USB. :(

I feel your pain, bro. Same here.

You may be abusing a bit your swapfile, 90 minutes is really too much... But there're some things you may try to mitigate the problem:

• Activate filesystem compression on the GameData folder. This will minimize the hard disk I/O considerably (not to mention the space savings), what will speed things a bit for you.
    • Windows NTFS has a transparent file compression available, right-click the GameData folder on Explorer and navigate until you find a property called "compression" or something (longe time since I used a Windows Machine).
      • (I would not compress the whole drive, I had problems doing it in the past)
      • Not every file worth being compressed. Files that are written regularly (Word files, images, savegames, etc) usually don't worth the trouble.
    • On MacOS, see this thread.
    • On Linux, BTRFS has this option (the best compression level I ever used, by the way)
  • Lower the Texture Quality on Main Menu / Settings / Graphics. On the Rendering Section, you will find a Slider called Texture Quality.
    • It's usually on Full Res, and the other options are Half Res, Quarter Res and Eighth Res.
      • Everybody is upgrading the Textures to 4K nowadays, and this not only is a waste for people gaming on 1080p, as it more than doubles the memory needed for textures both on GPU as on GPU (including loading times). By lowering this setting, the Textures will be downgraded on loading, saving you some precious memory. Even if you have a beefier machine, if you are playing on 1080p this setting would save some VRAM, allowing you to get better FPS or even rendering the game playable on cheaper GPU cards.
      • The bad side of this solution is that Textures that are fine for 1080p will be downgrade too (it's all or nothing), and this can render the U.I. somewhat problematic (some widgets can get so blurred on Eighth Res that you can't tell if a checkbox is checked or not.
    • I usually use Half Res, and some installments of mine are even on Quarter Res!
  • Consider adding a HDD to the machine, and move KSP to another disk than were your swapfile are.
    • Reading files at the same time you are swapping memory to the same disk is terrible to I/O, as the HD's heads will jump like crazy between the cylinders where KSP is stored and the cylinders where the swapfile is. And every time the heads have to move, I/O halts.
    • If you are adventurous, you can buy a cheap SSD (120G is more than enough), install it and use it only for swapfile.
      • This SSD will not live too long, so don't store anything valuable on it.
        • It's best to do not store anything at all, as the more free space you have on it, more the SSD firmware will mitigate the writings to minimize wearing and more it will live.
      • It's counter-intuitive, but since you only load a game once per session, but use swapfiles all the time, you will notice the machine sensibly more performatic on average than using the SSD to store the game and the harddisk to store the swapfile!
1 hour ago, Jebediah Kerman - Earth said:

The issue has since been fixed though.

Good to know!

Cheers!