[KSP >= 1.3.0] TweakScale - Under Lisias' Management - 2.4.7.6 - 2024-0322

Lisias

ANNOUNCE

Release 2.4.3.10 is available for downloading, with the following changes:

• Lifting the ban on running on KSP 1.8, as the glitch detected proved inoffensive (beside annoying) and was fixed on KSP 1.8.1
  • Changing install layout for Scale_Dist.dll .
    • Needed to prevent being annoyed by Add'On Binder errors.
    • Please read KNOWN ISSUES for further information.

See OP for the links.

Github e Curseforge estão atualizados. SpaceDock e CKAN serão em algum momemto entre agora e amanhã pela manhã, eu tenho que ajustar o netkan para uma mudança na instalação de um arquivo e quero testar isso direito para não ter que consertar bobagem depois.

Github and Curseforge are up to date. SpaceDock and CKAN will be updated sometime between now and tomorrow morning, I have to adjust netkan for a file installation change and I want to test it right so I don't have to fix it later.

— — — 

SpaceDock is updated since today, Oct 31 9:00Z.

CKAN is pending approval of a change needed by KSP 1.8 merged!

Edited by Lisias
Update2

11 minutes ago, Tsani said:

Take your time. Your allowed to have a life too!

I will. :)

I rushed things a bit today because we have a hard to crack sprint coming soon, and my time for this (TweakScale, not work!! :D ) will be somewhat impaired. I want to keep the housekeeping in check before that sprint and in time for some resting (and KSP playing, something I'm not really doing for some weeks now). ;)

Edited by Lisias
small addendum. :D

Thank you Lisias for all the work provided and thank you, others, who helped Lisias to get a clearer picture on what was going on.

One of my favourite mod is now KSP 1.8.1 compliant, I still need KAC but more important kOS be updated so that I can move my career game to 1.8. (I have a craft which requires kOS to be flown).

Edited by DarkNounours

AddOn Binder Error Fest on KSP 1.8

It was found that on KSP 1.8 you can't have the same DLL installed on different directories without triggering a AddOn Binder Error Fest.

Since, until the moment, AddOns willing to cooperate directly with TweakScale usually had their own copy of Scale_Redist.dll (the interface where such cooperation is realized), TweakScale's partners became a trigger for this Error Fest on KSP.log.

It's not clear, at this time, if this Error Fest is prejudicial or just an annoyance, but in a way or another, by eliminating every redundant Scale_Redist.dll from the system had solved the issue. However, this created a new one: it's necessary to guarantee that Scale_Redist.dll be available to any potential client in need of it, otherwise (and obviously) such a client will bork on a new AddOn Binder Error (and this one is fatal).

The way TweakScale managed to solve that second issue is to move Scale_Redist.dll to GameData, as 999_Scale_Redist.dll.

I'm sorry for that, but this was the only solution I could find to overcome the AddOn Binder Error Fest, that was  being triggered on every third party module using Scale_Redist. Had I didn't did that, TweakScale partners would be drowned on support requests due their modules triggering that thing.

Edited by Lisias
Addendum

I'm staying on 1.7.3 for the foreseeable future until some more mods are updated, and I upgraded to your latest version which says is compatible with 1.7.3, but installing it breaks Tweak Scale entirely (the option is not present on any part, but game is still playable).

Output Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uHvE5du0H19NPp11R50NajZq7Wp0aFji/view?usp=sharing

I know you need the Player.log, but the only file I have is several days old and pre-dates this update (exiting the program didn't generate a new file for some reason)

Edited by aceman67

I can't seem to load Tweakscale with KSP 1.8 at all, even if it's the only mod installed (except Module Manager). The log complains about the binder errors you mentioned regardless:

Spoiler

[LOG 16:44:18.414] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'Scale' V2.4.0
[LOG 16:44:18.416] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies
[ERR 16:44:18.482] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 16:44:18.482] ADDON BINDER: Cannot resolve assembly: Scale_Redist, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

[ERR 16:44:18.486] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'Scale': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x000e6] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0

Additional information about this exception:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
File name: 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'

File name: 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

Again, that's with just MM and Tweakscale (and Squad and SquadExpansion, obvs).

(nope - I was wrong on thinking I was wrong)

2 hours ago, BTAxis said:

I can't seem to load Tweakscale with KSP 1.8 at all, even if it's the only mod installed (except Module Manager). The log complains about the binder errors you mentioned regardless:

Reveal hidden contents

[LOG 16:44:18.414] AssemblyLoader: KSPAssembly 'Scale' V2.4.0
[LOG 16:44:18.416] AssemblyLoader: Loading assemblies

[ERR 16:44:18.486] AssemblyLoader: Exception loading 'Scale': System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: Exception of type 'System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException' was thrown.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes(System.Reflection.Assembly,bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <ad04dee02e7e4a85a1299c7ee81c79f6>:0
  at AssemblyLoader.LoadAssemblies () [0x000e6] in <9d71e4043e394d78a6cf9193ad011698>:0

Additional information about this exception:

File name: 'Scale_Redist, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null"

Again, that's with just MM and Tweakscale (and Squad and SquadExpansion, obvs).

You need to copy 999_Scale_Redist.dll into GameData, as explained on the INSTALL and detailed on KNOWN_ISSUES

I'm sorry for that, but this was the only solution I could find to overcome the AddOn Binder Error Fest, that was  being triggered on every third party module using Scale_Redist. Had I didn't did that, TweakScale partners would be drowned on support requests due their modules triggering that thing.

2 hours ago, aceman67 said:

I'm staying on 1.7.3 for the foreseeable future until some more mods are updated, and I upgraded to your latest version which says is compatible with 1.7.3, but installing it breaks Tweak Scale entirely (the option is not present on any part, but game is still playable).

It's exactly the same problem, sir. Extract the 999_Scale_Redist.dll into your GameData and the problem will be solved.

— post edit — 

I confirmed my diagnosis above. My test bed was flawed and gave me false positives. Once I fixed the test bed, things worked as I said. :)

Edited by Lisias
brute force post merge.

I think this is a good time to a new Article about how I plan to keep TweakScale working for everybody. But, this time, by not doing something! :)

About Third Party Add'Ons Support.

Well... TweakScale (the Module) is pretty cooperative, but it's also dumb as a door by itself. It needs help in order to be able to do its job. This help is provided by patches.

However, as recent events had proven, bad patches can be a terrible thing. They should be maintained and curated with care. And this is where things can go trough the tubes as times goes by...

It's plain impossible for a single dude to keep track and update patches for every single Add'On out there. Even by accepting pull requests with the feature, these patches will need to be maintained on every release of the Add'On it supports! This thing can escalate fast, as every single time every Add'On supported by TweakScale is updated, I need to check the patches myself and then issue a new TweakScale release if anything changes. And this is terribly bad due a lot of reasons, between them:

• It's too much work. There're no time available for a single person to do it by itself - there're tons and tons of Add'Ons on the wild!
  • Every Add'On update can trigger a TweakScale new issue, that then should be downloaded by every TweakScale user - be he/she using that Add'On or not!
  • Some Add'Ons get deprecated or just vanish from the face of Kerbin, and yet TweakScale have their patches lingering - waiting to play havoc as things changes and that patches became obsolete.
  • TweakScale became responsible for potential induced problems on Third Parties when any of the default patches misbehave, damaging TweakScale's reputation. With a third-party Add'On doing this job, any glitch would be rapidly pinpointed by installing/uninstalling that Complement, saving me the hassle of handling the fallout from TweakScale.

So TweakScale, in order to keep doing its good work safely and reliably, needs to go fitness: it needs to lose some fat.

This fitness process already begun. KAX patches were internalized into KAX, and are not being distributed anymore as default. These patches were moved to the Extras/Deprecated folder on the distribution file as is, they are not maintained anymore - bugs and improvements on them will be handled on the KAX's project (where some bug fixing was already carried out, by the way). I will provide all the necessary support on the process.

Since not all Add'On Authors will be willing to handle TweakScale patches themselves, some will linger on TweakScale 2.4.x series . But any Author willing to internalize them are welcome to do so - just, please, send me a note so I can move them out to the Deprecated and avoid stomping in your toes. 

New support will be implemented ideally on Companion Packs (essentially, a patch-only Add'On as All Tweak!!) where support for one or more Add'Ons would be implemented, curated and maintained separately.  This is one of the main goals of TweakScale 2.5.x series, where any patch not reclaimed  by the Add'On's Author will be moved to a Compatibility Pack (obviously, owned by me) to keep things working.

TweakScale, from that point, will support directly only Stock and DLC parts.

Link to the original article on my site.

Edited by Lisias
Tyops galore!!!!

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

I think this is a good time to a new Article about how I plan to keep TweakScale working for everybody. But, this time, by not doing something! :)

About Third Party Add'Ons Support.

Well... TweakScale (the Module) is pretty cooperative, but it's also dumb as a door by itself. It needs help in order to be able to do its job. This help is provided by patches.

However, as recent events had proven, bad patches can be a terrible thing. They should be maintained and curated with care. And this is where things can go trough the tubes as times goes by...

It's plain impossible for a single dude to keep track and update patches for every single Add'On out there. Even by accepting pull requests with the feature, these patches will need to be maintained on every release of the Add'On it supports! This thing can escalate fast, as every single time every Add'On supported by TweakScale is updated, I need to check the patches myself and then issue a new TweakScale release if anything changes. And this is terribly bad due a lot of reasons, between them:

• It's too much work. There're no time available for a single person to do it by itself - there're tons and tons of Add'Ons on the wild!
  • Every Add'On update can trigger a TweakScale new issue, that then should be downloaded by every TweakScale user - be he/she using that Add'On or not!
  • Some Add'Ons get deprecated or just vanish from the face of Kerbin, and yet TweakScale have their patches lingering - waiting to play havoc as things changes and that patches became obsolete.
  • TweakScale became responsible for potential induced problems on Third Parties when any of the default patches misbehave, damaging TweakScale's reputation. With a third-party Add'On doing this job, any glitch would be rapidly pinpointed by installing/uninstalling that Complement, saving me the hassle of handling the fallout from TweakScale.

So TweakScale, in order to keep doing its good work safely and reliably, needs to go fitness: it needs to lose some fat.

This fitness process already begun. KAX patches were internalized into KAX, and are not being distributed anymore as default. These patches were moved to the Extras/Deprecated folder on the distribution file as is, they are not maintained anymore - bugs and improvements on them will be handled on the KAX's project (where some bug fixing was already carried out, by the way). I will provide all the necessary support on the process.

Since not all Add'On Authors will be willing to handle TweakScale patches themselves, some will linger on TweakScale 2.4.x series . But any Author willing to internalize them are welcome to do so - just, please, send me a note so I can move them out to the Deprecated and avoid stomping in your toes. 

New support will be implemented ideally on Companion Packs (essentially, a patch-only Add'On as All Tweak!!) where support for one or more Add'Ons would be implemented, curated and maintained separately.  This is one of the main goals of TweakScale 2.5.x series, where any patch not reclaimed  by the Add'On's Author will be moved to a Compatibility Pack (obviously, owned by me) to keep things working.

TweakScale, from that point, will support directly only Stock and DLC parts.

Link to the original article on my site.

So why not code it so that it doesn't activate on a mod unless the author has the patch for it with in said mod folder? Or is that too complicated or already what you are suggesting and I'm not realizing it due to migraine?

37 minutes ago, Azic Minar said:

So why not code it so that it doesn't activate on a mod unless the author has the patch for it with in said mod folder? Or is that too complicated or already what you are suggesting and I'm not realizing it due to migraine?

Because TweakScale works the other way around. It does nothing, except if someone tells it to do something. You need to explicitly code a patch adding TweakScale into a part in order to get it working.

The only thing TweakScale does by itself is, once someone shoves a TweakScale module on a part, to check for problems and if a nasty one is detected, undo the patch programatically. And even that, I did it with a bad taste on the mouth.

So, in a nutshell, TweakScale is a very well behaving citizen on KSP Land. It only does what it is explicitly told to do, otherwise, it stays shut and quiet on its place. :) 

Edited by Lisias
tyops as usulla…

Your doing the right things. Coding has always been a messy business. Would be nice if everyone followed good coding mannerisms. But people are people and things turn into spaghetti quickly. Even Ksp is guilty of this. I have 17 sanity fails that seem to be related to something missing in Squads stuff. But thanks for maintaining Tweakscale. While it may only do something when another add on tells it too, it does it wonderfully and fills a much needed necessity. I salute and thank you!   

2 hours ago, Tsani said:

I have 17 sanity fails that seem to be related to something missing in Squads stuff. 

Unusual. The stocks parts fails sanity by lack of proper support on TweakScale (the whole 2.4.x series will be focused only on this!). And the numbers on a vanilla installment is 9, or 15 (or 12? I will check soon) with DLCs.

Send me your log. Let me inspect this.

— — — POST EDIT — — — 

[LOG 17:45:33.171] [TweakScale] INFO: WriteDryCost Concluded : 456 parts found ; 0 checks failed ; 0 parts with hotfixes ; 0 parts with issues overruled ; 0 Show Stoppers found; 9 Sanity Check failed; 103 unscalable parts.

Yep, the numbers is 9 - to the whole shebang (Stock + the 2 DLCs).

There's something more on the installment. Check for any hotfixes or overrules on the __LOCAL (or wherever you stored them), as that stunt would cause some glitches once the problem they aims to fix/overcome is no more.

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT - fixing the log, I had used the 2.5.x experimental by accident.

@Lisias

I may be mistaken about the squad part. What was throwing me is the part names, KerbalEVA_Female, etc. Seems it may be related to the ETT mod. Still digging. But the 17 sanity errors happen weather the Hotfixes, etc, exist or not.Also something else I noticed was that with the hotfix, breaking parts and depreciated files in place, the modulemanager configcashe file does not get generated. But I do know the issue is not Tweakscale and the most common issue mentioned in the KSP file is issue 30. That I about 9 or so of the errors. Others are empty cfg files, etc. Game works tho. Just trying to piece this all together and sort it out with a low mod count before I start loading it back up before to where it was before the update. Then again, I am playing it at this level and its interesting so maybe I will stay here for a spell. I will eventually upload the logs to you. Your plenty busy right now.

Added: It wasn't ETT. SO down the rabbit hole I go...   I don't know how you keep this all straight in your head!

Edited by Tsani
Adding info

20 hours ago, Tsani said:

@Lisias   I don't know how you keep this all straight in your head!

That's my secret, Captain: I don't. :P

i forget everything every time, and had to learnt it again. It happens that I'm a fast learner! :)

20 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

Also Lisias tweakscale has lost compatibility with Airplane Plus and I really need to rescale the parts as the radial fuel tank 

Airplane plus never supported, directly, TweakScale. They relied on Tmasterson5's patches for it. Unfortunately, these patches didn't aged well, and I can't fix them as they are ARR. I had thrown the towel on this, someone need to write new and proper patches for AirplanePlus. I can help, but doesn't have the time ti do it myself.

20 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

in 1.7.3 while a part was 2.5m tweakscale said that it was 1.250m (?)

What part? Try to reproduce the issue using a clean KSP with just Stock, DLC and TweakScale (and MM). If the problems persists, send me the KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache (and the name of the part!) So I can fix it.Nonsense! If it's reproducible on a clean installment, I don't need all of that! Give me the name of the part, it's enough! :D ]

If you can't reproduce it on a clean installment, you have a rogue patch on it. Well.. send me the files [KSP.log and ModuleManager.ConfigCache] nevertheless. And the name of the part with problems.

Edited by Lisias
some corrections, in italics and brackets

21 hours ago, Tsani said:

What was throwing me is the part names, KerbalEVA_Female, etc. Seems it may be related to the ETT mod.

I just remembered! IIRC, on Making History Squad needed to inject new Suits into the Kerbals. By some reason, they choose to add multiple configs entries for the feature (i.e., more than one Config Section with the same "name=" entry) instead of modifying the existent one. (Don't ask, I don't have enough information to make any judge of value on the matter, I just accepted the change and kept going).

I remember KIS (or KAS?) borking due it, because when you do a query for a configname that have more than one entry using a function that returns only one, that function returns the latest one (think on it as an array - the first gets index 0, the second index 1, and so on), but since Module Manager acts before Making History is instantiated, by that time the patches are applied on the index 0 one (the only one alive at patching time!), and after Making History adding the extra entry with its own data, Add'Ons relying on the singleton behaviour started to fetch the second entry where - obviously - none of the patches were applied.

Interesting enough, the very second issue on TweakScale (under my management) is about it.  I had it also on Issue #38 - but at that time, I had misdiagnosed it.

Interesting enough, I also had a situation where TweakScale were blowing up due a config module data misconfigured. It ended up that a rogue patch (apparently) was shoving TweakScale on a Kerbal EVA. What is something interesting to really implement one of these days of boredom - if I manage to get one. :D 

I just updated some mods that borked something.  The community patches (not sure which is the culprit).  I'm getting a fatal error message from Tweak Scale today that wasn't there last night thanks to it, and haven't loaded my save (already going through withdrawl) where should I upload my log file?  I'm going to try reverting the mods to prior version in a bit as well but wish to upload the log first.

28 minutes ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I just updated some mods that borked something.  The community patches (not sure which is the culprit).  I'm getting a fatal error message from Tweak Scale today that wasn't there last night thanks to it, and haven't loaded my save (already going through withdrawl) where should I upload my log file?  I'm going to try reverting the mods to prior version in a bit as well but wish to upload the log first.

Upload it to the dropbox. Put also the ModuleManager.ConfigCache, sometimes it helps to cook a fix when needed.

If you have a github account, you can zip them and put them on a commend on this issue: https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/63 copy&paste the URL of your post here to make easier to cross reference.