possible creation of a (unofficial) KSP discord server.

The Amazing Popsicle

Unofficial KSP discord server  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should I create a Unofficial KSP discord server?

• Sure; I would be interested in this discord server
    • No; Its going to be a waste of your time
    • Ah hell yeah; I would love to see this to happen
    • Its up to you

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2018 at 06:31 AM

(KSP Unofficial Community Discord Server)

As a KSP lover, I wanted to create a community discord server for all of us fans of the game. This server let fans of the game chat with others. I would like some input from the community if you would like to see this. There will be a poll if you would like to see it or not. 

In the comments down below someone said that these type of servers tend to die out in a couple of months. I already run my own discord server and it’s quite active. I’m sure I won’t let it die. It will be a couple of weeks before I set it up. I want it to be clean and polished before inviting people. I will also be adding bots to the server. If you are interested in helping me make this discord server, go and ping me on discord. To help me with this server you must be over the age of 16. Thank you for your time.

My discord account is: ————— 

Das wird gut

Jeder ist willkommen

Disclaimer (I am not affiliated with Take-Two Interactive/Squad in any way. This is just a fan server)

Many thanks, 

Popsicle 

Edited by The Amazing Popsicle

Lots of folks who've been around for a while run a Discord environment of their own, for whatever reason. Matt Lowne does one for his YouTube channel for instance. Galileo has one for his planet pack, one of the most unique. I don't believe you need special permission, as long as you don't claim to represent Squad, Take Two, Private Division, or affiliates. I think the details are in the EULA.

TL;DR : Yes, you can. At least until someone else says you don't.

Technically, to the strictest letter or law, by using "KSP" and "Kerbal Space Program" - registered trademarks and copyrights from Squad/TTI , you would doing so under "fair use" (in USA - you need to check if your country has something like that).

Fair Use, however, is a claim - you claim you are using it under fair use, and pay to see if anyone disagrees. It's usually said that Fair Use it's something you only is sure you have after a judge says so on a trial. :) 

That said, as long you don't claim any representation or association with TTI neither Squad, and make very clear that your Discord server is a Fan Work without any authorization or association with them, I don't think you will have a problem - as long your Work don't cause demeaning on their trademark or copyright - for example. you start to publish Kerbal p0rn on the channel. :P 

Keep in mind, however, that you are on "private land" and can be ordered to rename the channel (and/or stop using any copyrighted and trademarked material of them) at any time. It's a right they have, and if they choose not to exercise such right, it's not meaning they waved that right in any way.

Edited by Lisias
tyops, as usulla.

32 minutes ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Lots of folks who've been around for a while run a Discord environment of their own, for whatever reason. Matt Lowne does one for his YouTube channel for instance. Galileo has one for his planet pack, one of the most unique. I don't believe you need special permission, as long as you don't claim to represent Squad, Take Two, Private Division, or affiliates. I think the details are in the EULA.

That’s why it’s unoffical. This isn’t to make money or anything. I wanted to make a central discord server, you know. I’ll be checking the EULA also (wish me luck) thanks for your feed back m8

26 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Keep in mind, however, that you are on "private land" and can be ordered to rename the channel (and/or stop using any copyrighted and trademarked material of them) at any time. It's a right they have, and if they choose not to exercise such right, it's not meaning they waved that right in any way.

I understand that. 

Ill probably start working on the discord server. If take-two/squad has a problem with it I’ll take it down. I respect their company so I’ll follow what they tell me to do with the server.

:)

5 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

There's been someone promoting his unofficial Discord server every odd month for years now with no repercussions. So either you can't actually search for the dozens of unofficial KSP servers on Discord or noone cares and they die extremely fast.

Roger roger

I already run a pretty active discord server. So I’m sure I won’t let it die. That’s why I added a poll because I’m wondering if people would be interested to join. :D

Danke Dir

Edited by The Amazing Popsicle

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.