Antennas on kerbal suits

It is simple enough that I don't see why not. But I think 50km is too much. 10km is reasonable taking into account that it serves to expand the range you can go from your landing position to explore around and take EVA reports.

21 minutes ago, BadLeo said:

It is simple enough that I don't see why not. But I think 50km is too much. 10km is reasonable taking into account that it serves to expand the range you can go from your landing position to explore around and take EVA reports.

True.

I personally don't agree with adding antennas to Kerbal spacesuits.

In the stock game, the main purpose of antennas and the CommNet system is to restrict the distance at which probe remote control can be transmitted back to base stations on Kerbin. Since Kerbals are living, sentient beings inside spacesuits, probe control restrictions aren't applicable to them, so they don't need antennas.

As for transmitting EVA science reports, I'll point out that while real-life spacesuits do have antenna and backpack radios, they are very short range and intended for communications between the astronaut on EVA and a nearby spacecraft, not a direct EVA-to-ground comm link. Besides, even if an antenna was added to Kerbals on EVA, you would't actually see the classic cartoony whiplash antenna coming out of their backpacks, since they'd be completely enclosed inside the spacesuit anyway.

Communications

An electrical harness inside the suit connects the communications carrier assembly and the biomedical instrumentation equipment to the hard upper torso where internal connections are routed to the extravehicular communicator by means of a pass-through.

The extravehicular communicator attaches to the upper portion of the life support system at the back of the hard upper torso. The controls are located on the display and control module mounted on the chest at the front of the upper torso. The extravehicular communicator provides radio communication between the suited crew member and the orbiter. In addition, electrocardiographic (EKG) information is telemetered through the extravehicular communicator to the orbiter and to flight surgeons in the Mission Control Center at Houston, Texas.

The radios for spacewalk communications have two single UHF channel transmitters, three single-channel receivers, and a switching mechanism. These backpack radios have a "low profile" antenna--a foot long rectangular block fitted to the top of the PLSS. The radios weigh 8.7 pounds and are 12 inches long, 4.3 inches high, and 3.5 inches wide.

Source: https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/suitnasa.html

2 hours ago, sumghai said:

As for transmitting EVA science reports, I'll point out that while real-life spacesuits do have antenna and backpack radios, they are very short range and intended for communications between the astronaut on EVA and a nearby spacecraft, not a direct EVA-to-ground comm link. Besides, even if an antenna was added to Kerbals on EVA, you would't actually see the classic cartoony whiplash antenna coming out of their backpacks, since they'd be completely enclosed inside the spacesuit anyway.

Quite interesting stuff there. But for the sake of transmitting report, if you give a small enough range you are basically forcing the player to have the kerbal in range of its ship. It would be a convenient feature, but it is not essential. But, oh, well, there's the mod, still.

3 hours ago, sumghai said:

As for transmitting EVA science reports, I'll point out that while real-life spacesuits do have antenna and backpack radios, they are very short range and intended for communications between the astronaut on EVA and a nearby spacecraft, not a direct EVA-to-ground comm link.

I'll try to remember to ask my father if he knows the range on his EVA UHF system.

1 hour ago, BadLeo said:

Quite interesting stuff there. But for the sake of transmitting report, if you give a small enough range you are basically forcing the player to have the kerbal in range of its ship. It would be a convenient feature, but it is not essential.

Indeed, the very short range makes the whole point of stock EVA suit antennas moot.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

They should do this or remove the transmit button from the reports when you're a Kerbal. That button implies that there is a way to make it possible to transmit.

I'd be inclined to have the transmit button omitted for Kerbal EVA science reports.

8 minutes ago, razark said:

I'll try to remember to ask my father if he knows the range on his EVA UHF system.

Interesting! So he did development/maintenance work on EVA suit communications systems?

9 hours ago, sumghai said:

Indeed, the very short range makes the whole point of stock EVA suit antennas moot.

It should not, if your spacecraft/rover has a relay antenna.

13 hours ago, sumghai said:

As for transmitting EVA science reports, I'll point out that while real-life spacesuits do have antenna and backpack radios, they are very short range and intended for communications between the astronaut on EVA and a nearby spacecraft, not a direct EVA-to-ground comm link.

Spacecraft with a relay antenna should be capable of relaying signals from the suit radio back to the KSC.  I'd actually settle for a range of even 20 metres, just enough that I can radio back a report surface sample report, before grabbing a second sample to put in the capsule.  (Yes, I know I can send it back from the capsule, but if the capsule already has 20 other science reports, then sending just one back gets tedious quickly).

sry for delay(felt in sleep yesterday)but: NOW everything work like expected AFAIK*

(*exept Val's bug/femals strike these days-stay cool till KIS updateto 1.5)have fun!

for anyone who wants to try an EVAantenna(needs KIS) pre-release dont use in a important career save till release! It's maybe not completely bug free(MJ), but it's been fairly stable ,but maybe some comes up

https://sabercathost.com/hSpV/EVAmechjeb.zip

for future status updates use this OP forum link, just in case:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/174462-emblemevamagnetic-boots-light-eva-mechjeb-evastuffpre-release/

Do u know where the source of the KSC signal is? (spoiler is not in the tracking station)

for those the wanna self find out DONT look at the spoiler!

Spoiler

first lets go to the VAB 428m distance

JEuRJx1.png

nope lets head over to the Tracking station 243m

hUGNBTs.png

nope ,back to launchpad 51m getting closer

P4wDcnk.png

last change to find it self!

found it directly...

Spoiler

5.1m under my feets between launchpad and VAB

efAt9Nz.png

Kl4d5to.png

WZBJWf0.png

Have Fun!BK

Edited by Burning Kan
time

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.