Filling Command Chairs at Design Time

XLjedi

Was tinkering with this last night and noticed I could put a Kerbal classified as a Tourist in a command chair. 

Then deployed the craft and not only was the Tourist able to drive around in the rover.  They were able to leave their chair too...

Was the first time we had tourists out walking around the KSC

If command chairs now also follow transfer rules (which I just thought of, so not tested) I could...  possiblly... transfer stranded tourists to command chairs in order to liberate them from certain precarious death traps, and just let em walk around at will.

Edited by XLjedi

Hmmmm..... definitely a bug, not a feature, as per the intended usage of tourists, but.....   I wonder if this a bug they'll choose to 'fix', since it does add some gameplay to the game.    It will have to be pretty intentional then for your tourists to get into much trouble... 

Alright so after a little testing...  in my sandbox mode it looks like the command chairs do NOT follow transfer rules.   Which as I think about it, makes logical sense since they never followed transfer rules before.  

But I can transfer a tourist to a cockpit and then choose to eva and walk around.  Has it always been this way and I just never noticed?

Tourists should not be able to go EVA ever.

There's a mod, 'Take Command' which allows assigning kerbals to command chairs on launch or transferring them to it.

AFAIK in stock you'll never see a tourist outside a pressurized vessel.

Just now, Sharpy said:

There's a mod, 'Take Command' which allows assigning kerbals to command chairs on launch or transferring them to it.

Just go into the SPH... 

Press Ctrl-Alt-F12 for the debug widow...

Create a Kerbal classified as a "Tourist"

Add the Tourist to your craft and presto!  You get a Tourist wandering around the KSC.

Maybe its just a Sandbox thing?

13 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

They basically added Take command to stock in 1.5.

* Kerbals can now be placed in external command seats in the VAB/SPH.

23 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

@Rocket In My Pocket  Regardless of the Command Chair...  I can put a Tourist that I create in the Debug Dialog into any cockpit or crew container and they can go EVA.  Just not sure if it's always been that way?  Never really tested it prior to this command chair mod release. 

Well to be fair, using the debug menu kind of throws a wrench in the mix; have you tried an actual tourist generated by the game for a contract?

But yeah; as I remember it Tourists could never EVA from anything. In Career at least, I don't play sandbox typically.

I'd try to test it myself but I don't think I have any Tourist contracts open or available currently.

2 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Well to be fair, using the debug menu kind of throws a wrench in the mix; have you tried an actual tourist generated by the game for a contract?

There's no other way to get a Tourist in Sandbox mode...

I would assume the "Tourist" type designation would be the key to whether or not the game allows EVA regardless of how the Kerbal was created, or if playing in Sandbox mode.

7 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

There's no other way to get a Tourist in Sandbox mode...

I would assume the "Tourist" type designation would be the key to whether or not the game allows EVA regardless of how the Kerbal was created, or if playing in Sandbox mode.

As you say, there is no other way to get a Tourist in sandbox, so perhaps it doesn't work as intended in that mode?

Some important part of what makes a Tourist a "Tourist" in the games eyes may not be happening.

It could be tied to or flagged in the contract itself perhaps? We'd need some kind of testing with a proper contract Tourist in Career mode to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.