1.5.1 Hotfix

UomoCapra

I did this prior to checking to see if I was still on 1.5.0..so not too sure if it even needs to be done. But I didnt see steam have an update for KSP. So I validated my install and it reacquired 2 files. If youre wondering how to update, try this. (does steam give details as to what files have been acquired?..w.e..lol guess it doesnt matter)

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Because we, as a community, made a really big deal out of it that it was insulting and unfair to some players to have pre-releases tested by other players. So now they don't; basically because we asked Squad not to do pre-releases anymore.

Seems kind of, I don't know... counter-intuitive to me but weren't the pre-releases public? I remember downloading 1.2s pre-release soon after I got it on steam.

1 hour ago, jdb326 said:

Seems kind of, I don't know... counter-intuitive to me but weren't the pre-releases public? I remember downloading 1.2s pre-release soon after I got it on steam.

To keep the logistical process manageable, it was distributed through Steam. Which resulted in a complete outrage for those who deemed Steam an inferior way of getting access to the game and had opted for different channels. There were a few very vocal opinions who claimed it was unfair for those who didn't have Steam to not have access to the pre-release.

Obviously Squad had two ways of removing said unfairness; going through the nightmare of releasing the pre-releases through all channels, or... well, here we are.

1 hour ago, jdb326 said:

IIRC 1.1 was steam-only, 1.2 was steam and store, and 1.3 onward did not do pre-releases.

I don't think that "people whining" was why they stopped. "It was a huge pain and didn't actually help" had probably more to do with it.

10 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Because we, as a community, made a really big deal out of it that it was insulting and unfair to some players to have pre-releases tested by other players. So now they don't; basically because we asked Squad not to do pre-releases anymore.

Last time we did pre-releases, we didn’t had x.x.5 patch versions ;)

9 hours ago, Nightside said:

Is there a change log somewhere?

The changelog is presented in the game's Readme file.

ChangeLog:
=================================== v1.5.1 ============================================================
+++ Bugfixes
* Fix Aero body lift in flight integrator.

+++ Includes 1.5.0 Changes

*snip*

The fact that all other minor patches were given their own section in the Readme confuses me as to why the 1.5.0 changes are bundled into the 1.5.1 release notes but... whatever!(?)... versioning isn't the game's strong point.

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, damonvv said:

Last time we did pre-releases, we didn’t had x.x.5 patch versions ;)

If I recall correctly both 1.2 and 1.3 had public pre-release versions.  Both of those are after version 1.0.5.  1.2 had 2 patch release (1.2.1 and 1.2.2) whilst 1.3 had 1 patch release (1.3.1).  

13 hours ago, Kerbart said:

At least one of the beta's was run through Steam betas, and was only available to players who had KSP on steam.  Some people (including many who bought the game during early access) didn't own the game on steam and so couldn't participate.  Some of them were pretty vocal and felt they were being unfairly treated.  If I recall correctly Squad fixed that for the next set of pre-releases.  I don't recall anyone saying that allowing the community to test pre-releases betas was insulting; nor do a recall the community as a whole asking for those pre-releases to stop.  

People did complain about Squad making new formal releases which contained bugs that they thought Squad should have found and fixed prior to release.  (In my opinion the early releases in the 1.4 series were pretty bad.  I consider some of those releases to be of beta quality, and some people felt that publishing such a beta quality release as a formal release was insulting).

15 hours ago, nestor said:

This is part of our new release process. Minor version releases will be hot fixes with very specific bugs being tackled. Less urgent bugs will be fixed but added to the next major version instead. This allow us to react faster to important bugs and at the same time move sooner to working on the next update. 

OH! :o I really needed to know this. It explains so much about the priorities and timelines for patch/update releases.
Many thanks. 

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

And joystick support on GNU/Linux is still not fixed. Bye @SQUAD, I'm done with this game.

Linux LOL!!  ...it's never worked right for Saitek controllers in Window installations.  Why would you think it'll ever get fixed in Linux?  LOL

Edited by XLjedi

On 10/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, UomoCapra said:

Some players reported an issue regarding aerodynamics, which was applying body lift in the wrong direction. After some in-depth examination, we noticed that some of the code written for the asteroid physics revamp was interfering with the aerodynamic physics in certain circumstances, so we are releasing this Hotfix to deal with this specific issue.

Thanks and happy launchings :)

OK, but does it make any difference to Mods? I see it's a part of a change in procedure involving releases, and while there's not much released for 1.5.0, is it worth worrying about?

now see i specifically asked how thoroughly they will be testing before releasing. One can only wonder if it was tested then how was this bug missed. *Shakes head* 

15 hours ago, steve_v said:

And joystick support on GNU/Linux is still not fixed. Bye @SQUAD, I'm done with this game.

HAHAHA. I'm just amazed there are actual decent games for Linux. Not long ago there was solitaire and Tux Racer, and that was *IT*.

I remember the shock of Minecraft actually running on Linux.

SQUAD/Unity has fixed the intermittent "where'd my game go?" crashing, and that is nice.

Edit: none of my joysticks or gamepads, or the Space Mouse work in anything on Linux, including other games and CAD programs. The joystick test program reports activity on the sticks and buttons, so I don't know what the damage is.

Edited by GeneCash

16 hours ago, steve_v said:

Pretty sure that's the third time I've seen you post this.  Might be wrong.....  but.... I've been playing this for 5+ years with no stick just fine....

8 hours ago, XLjedi said:

Linux LOL!!  ...it's never worked right for Saitek controllers in Window installations.  Why would you think it'll ever get fixed in Linux?  LOL

For myself personally its worked quite reasonably. Bit wonky as it starts to drift if you leave to controller plugged in for a long while, but well enough.

Dont really use the joystick that often though, so I can't really say how well it does or doesn't work.

10 hours ago, stibbons said:

Sorry, who did that? Where? 

"We" did, on this here forum. Or maybe it was the old forum before it transitioned to this one. No matter though, it did happen.

However I really doubt it had anything to do wiht Squad's reasoning. I mean, if whining about things ever affected their decision making we'd have had dV in the game since .24 and Porkjet would be the only artist allowed to work on the game.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

For myself personally its worked quite reasonably. Bit wonky as it starts to drift if you leave to controller plugged in for a long while, but well enough.

Dont really use the joystick that often though, so I can't really say how well it does or doesn't work.

...any lag on a Saitek FCS system?  For me, there has always been about a 1 second lag on joystick input that renders it completely useless.  The throttle...  I'm not quite as sensitive to on the input delay (although it's there) so I can at least use that with keyboard for the actual flight control surfaces.

Edited by XLjedi

10 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

...any lag on a Saitek FCS system?  For me, there has always been about a 1 second lag on joystick input that renders it completely useless.  The throttle...  I'm not quite as sensitive to on the input delay (although it's there) so I can at least use that with keyboard for the actual flight control surfaces.

In my albeit limited experience, using an Saitek ST290 didn't give any noticeable input lag. I can see how more than a second of input lag would make it useless. 

7 hours ago, GeneCash said:

HAHAHA. I'm just amazed there are actual decent games for Linux. Not long ago there was solitaire and Tux Racer, and that was *IT*.

Until recently, Linux was actually the *better* platform for running KSP on. And having Linux support was pretty much the reason I bought KSP way back.

And thanks for the quick bugfix, KSPDevs :)

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

"We" did, on this here forum. Or maybe it was the old forum before it transitioned to this one. No matter though, it did happen.

However I really doubt it had anything to do wiht Squad's reasoning. I mean, if whining about things ever affected their decision making we'd have had dV in the game since .24 and Porkjet would be the only artist allowed to work on the game.

For surprisingly small values of "we", undoubtedly.