1.5.1 Hotfix

UomoCapra

On 10/21/2018 at 6:16 AM, Redneck said:

now see i specifically asked how thoroughly they will be testing before releasing. One can only wonder if it was tested then how was this bug missed. *Shakes head* 

And I responded, the process gives everyone more time to finish, find and fix things. Please hold the head shaking for a couple of releases and see how we go 

On 10/20/2018 at 2:55 AM, UomoCapra said:

We are currently working on KSP Enhanced Edition on both PS4 and XB1. We will give you more details in an upcoming Newsletter.

Yay! More news about Enhanced Edition!

On 10/20/2018 at 10:08 AM, XLjedi said:

Linux LOL!!  ...it's never worked right for Saitek controllers in Window installations.  Why would you think it'll ever get fixed in Linux?  LOL

On 10/20/2018 at 3:20 PM, GeneCash said:

Edit: none of my joysticks or gamepads, or the Space Mouse work in anything on Linux, including other games and CAD programs. The joystick test program reports activity on the sticks and buttons, so I don't know what the damage is.

My USB joystick worked fine up through KSP 1.3 in Linux, and it still works in calibration programs like jstest, so I know the joystick and its Linux driver are fine.  It's just KSP 1.4 and 1.5 that don't recognize it.  Both of those releases moved the game to newer Unity versions, and Unity is what provides the interface to platform-specific input drivers, so I've been assuming it's really a Unity bug.

Edited by Wyzard

On 10/20/2018 at 12:35 AM, nestor said:

This is part of our new release process. Minor version releases will be hot fixes with very specific bugs being tackled. Less urgent bugs will be fixed but added to the next major version instead. This allow us to react faster to important bugs and at the same time move sooner to working on the next update

very appreciated thx nestor for info

also a comment on this would be fine:

On 10/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, jwenting said:

When will you hotfix out the embedded spyware that crept in in 1.5.0? It's still there, masquerading as "Unity data collection".

On 10/23/2018 at 6:01 PM, Wyzard said:

My USB joystick worked fine up through KSP 1.3 in Linux, and it still works in calibration programs like jstest, so I know the joystick and its Linux driver are fine.  It's just KSP 1.4 and 1.5 that don't recognize it.  Both of those releases moved the game to newer Unity versions, and Unity is what provides the interface to platform-specific input drivers, so I've been assuming it's really a Unity bug.

I would tend to agree. But still, since a mod can work around it, it should be possible for the base game too, right?

On 10/21/2018 at 3:08 AM, XLjedi said:

Linux LOL!!  ...it's never worked right for Saitek controllers in Window installations.  Why would you think it'll ever get fixed in Linux?  LOL

Because any competent engineer fixes what he breaks. This isn't a "never worked", it's a regression introduced in 1.4.

On 10/21/2018 at 3:40 PM, micha said:

Linux support was pretty much the reason I bought KSP way back.

Likewise. For me it's actually "No GNU/Linux port, no purchase."

On 10/21/2018 at 7:22 PM, 0111narwhalz said:

What manner of witchcraft has been making my joystick work, then?

At a guess: You're running KSP <1.4, you're running some super-obscure distro I've never heard of, or you're one of the unicorns who have managed to get something out of this supposed "steam controller" support.
I have 2 joysticks & 3 gamepads that mysteriously don't work in any KSP (and only KSP) version from 1.4 up. These same devices operated perfectly in 1.3.1.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:59 AM, Gargamel said:

Pretty sure that's the third time I've seen you post this.

It's been more than three, as there have been more than three broken releases since 1.4. You might get some peace from it if that's your thing, this is probably the last time I'll be around here, at least for a long while.

I don't support game developers that only port to my OS because it's easy, and I don't support game developers that butcher such ports at the first opportunity to make a quick buck on another platform. If you say you support a platform, support it.
Also, I haven't forgotten the missing analytics switch, that liquides me off too.

8 hours ago, steve_v said:

....You might get some peace from it if that's your thing, this is probably the last time I'll be around here, at least for a long while....

I agree with your points, @steve_v, you know me, I can relate to your frustration. But what about good old 1.3.1? You might still come here for 1.3.1 support or sharing missions or whatever. At least that's what I am doing ever since 1.4 dropped. I still enjoy the game and still most of the community here, only irked me for a while that they messed it up like this. Now I get a weird proud nostalgia playing and discussing 1.3.1, and truth be told with all the available mods I dont even miss the new squad parts and features. Even feel still playing 1.3.1 is a kind of silent protest (that nobody will ever care about, but whatever)

3 hours ago, KSP Jebediah said:

Hello! I noticed that in the 1.5 update forum post in one of the pictures you can see that the Thumper SRB has also been revamped but actually in-game it isn't, but thanks for the update!

No, that image is showing off the decoupler shrouds that the smaller SRBs have now.

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I just upgraded to Mac OS Mojave and did a clean install, replaced my saved game and mods, and the game still freezes solid when I try to go into the tracking station. So I have to restore the earlier version fro my backup drive again. Is anyone else having this problem?

4 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Sorry to keep beating this dead horse, but I just upgraded to Mac OS Mojave and did a clean install, replaced my saved game and mods, and the game still freezes solid when I try to go into the tracking station. So I have to restore the earlier version fro my backup drive again. Is anyone else having this problem?

You might try the support subforum rather than a thread announcing a release.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/70-technical-support-pc-modded-installs/

I've just hit a bug with the CG-04 short mk2 airplane cargo bay.      People often attach several of these together back to back to accommodate  larger cargo,  but it may result in the part not being shielded from drag if any individual piece of the cargo  is longer than the individual bay sections.          Worse,  when you go into the debug menu and enable the option to show aero data in the right click menus,  all of the cargo pieces still show zero drag, and nose of the CG--04 cargo bay sections show the extra drag either.   You'll just find that your airplane suddenly won't perform and the total craft drag, as shown by the Aero Data GUI ,  doubled.   

This airplane has three CG-04 short bays,  here it is loaded with an FT800 tank and an FT400 on the back - lift/drag ratio is down to 2 or so

crBwaJ9.jpg

As  a panther/nerv oxidizer free ssto,  this extra drag consumes most of our available thrust and it's difficult to reach orbit

DBEflH8.jpg

with three ft400 tanks in the payload bay instead,  lift to drag ratio almost doubles,  and it reaches orbit with 1300dv remaining.

I understand determining if cargo is shielded from drag or not is hard to do and problems with this have come and gone with successive updates, but the game should at least draw your attention to the fact that a part is not being shielded,  i wasted over 12 hours redesigning is this aircraft over and over,  only to find the cargo itself was the problem.    The fact that the aero data menus lie to you is the kicker, i've always taken what they report as fact.    

At the very least,  a warning about this needs to be sticked at the top of the gameplay questions and FAQs section of the forum.

6 hours ago, AeroGav said:

I've just hit a bug with the CG-04 short mk2 airplane cargo bay [...] if any individual piece of the cargo  is longer than the individual bay sections.

Possibly bug 16993 (forum post here) but I can't tell for sure from what you say.  Post over at TechSupport.

Edited by OHara
link forum post

• 5 weeks later...

@SQUAD   Guys I think this Aero hotfix messed a few things.

During ascent I have issues with both shuttles from Cormoratn Aerotechnology and his CA MK3 shuttle and from DECQ/Radar shuttle system. Both during ascent and roll program are trying to first go to side and after boosters separation they want to roll to left to make external tank to be at the bootom and shuttle/orbiter on top.   

And it is odd bcs both shuttles have these symptons and both shuttles were created by different ppl. . So I do not hink that it is problem of one shuttle. 

Edited by Jovzin

2 hours ago, Jovzin said:

@SQUAD   Guys I think this Aero hotfix messed a few things.

During ascent I have issues with both shuttles from Cormoratn Aerotechnology and his CA MK3 shuttle and from DECQ/Radar shuttle system. Both during ascent and roll program are trying to first go to side and after boosters separation they want to roll to left to make external tank to be at the bootom and shuttle/orbiter on top.   

And it is odd bcs both shuttles have these symptons and both shuttles were created by different ppl. . So I do not hink that it is problem of one shuttle. 

That isn't necessarily an issue with stock KSP. It could be anything: your piloting skill, mod conflicts or the weird way that things inside cargo bays are handled. I use Cormorant and nothing seems amiss for me.

The only issue I have with 1.5.1 at the moment seems to be a huge memory leak somewhere. Even a bone stock install can creep up to over 20GB of RAM over time. Can anybody here confirm this? Or am I the only one?

The safe file that gives me the hardest time is very very big though, with tons of surface stuff and more than 100 flights. Earlier leaner safes are not as bad. But still.

Edited by Dafni

13 minutes ago, Dafni said:

The only issue I have with 1.5.1 at the moment seems to be a huge memory leak somewhere. Even a bone stock install can creep up to over 20GB of RAM over time. Can anybody here confirm this? Or am I the only one?

The safe file that gives me the hardest time is very very big though, with tons of surface stuff and more than 100 flights. Earlier leaner safes are not as bad. But still.

All I can say is that I play with over 250 mods installed, my memory usage hovers about 14 gig over 5 hours of gameplay

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

All I can say is that I play with over 250 mods installed, my memory usage hovers about 14 gig over 5 hours of gameplay

Thanks for the input, appreciate it. That is interesting. So you say it will not go above this over time? BTW, from my experiments I found that the mods alone dont seem to be as much of a RAM problem as some of them were in previous versions of KSP. The problem seems to come from huge persistent files with lots of craft and surface bases etc. and then starts to get ugly when you change scenes a lot. Or also I had issues on long sessions in the editor (SPH/VAB), going back and forth from launchpad to SPH/VAB. Or I would get hang-ups when I try to undo something in the editor after long building sessions. Two or three times is crashed to desktop and the RAM was well above 20GB.

I seem to be somewhere in between atm. I start out using about 12 gigs (92 mods) and Im not sure where it goes from there. I was in the past experiencing similar to Dafni but with the most recent updates to a couple mods these last few days seems to have fixed the lag and occasional locks or near locks. Right now, I seem to be ok. Havent played any really long sessions lately though so time will tell.