Part Continuity in the Mission Builder Era

XLjedi

@SQUAD

With regard to the latest 1.5 update...

I have some craft that are stored with missions from Mission Builder that include parts that were just changed.  I notice for instance the Hammer booster now has 2 instances "solidBooster"  and "solidBooster.v2" for the new one.  I no longer see the older version of the booster as a seperate part in the SPH/VAB that can be used so presumably the older version is going to be phased out? 

I have no problem with stock parts being reskinned.  I also have no problem with new versions of parts being added.

However, I don't particularly like the idea of stock parts being replaced with completely new instances and (presumably) destroying Mission Builder craft that reference those parts as the old part with a different instance name gets phased out.

So my question is... 

How is "solidBooster" and "solidBooster.v2" going to preserve mission craft continuity going forward?  Will both of these part models continue to be included with new user installations? 

IF NOT:   Well, that's just not good.  Your part updates are killing mission craft!

IF SO:  Then why in the world would they not continue to be visible in the SPH/VAB design screen building options?

...or am I altogether missing something here? 

My strong preference would be to let both parts peacefully coexist.

Edited by XLjedi

They're still there -all of them in fact. Capsules, tanks, SRBs, everything. Hidden from the immediately visible categories, but very much visible (and usable) through the additional filters (by fuel type, size, etc)

Edited by Atkara

These filters have been there since 1.0.x IIRC, maybe even earlier. To access them, you need to switch to advanced mode in VAB/SPH. It's the black arrow next to the search window -where the subassemblies tab can also be found.

Edited by Atkara

1 minute ago, Atkara said:

These filters have been there since 1.0.x IIRC, maybe even earlier. To access them, you need to switch to advanced mode in VAB/SPH. It's the black arrow next to the search window -where the subassemblies tab can also be found.

I'm aware of the filters in general...  just didn't think I saw the old Hammer as an engine option in the SPH.  I could be mistaken, will have a look again tonight.

12 hours ago, Atkara said:

They're there, I looked myself before replying in the first place. Don't worry :)

Alright, so I'm back on this now...   in advanced filtering yes, it shows.  In the regular game though,  If I filter on the standard engines, it's not there.  I'm still concerned that because it's missing from the standard engines listing that it will be phased out and not included in new 1.5+ installations.  

5 hours ago, XLjedi said:

I'm still concerned that because it's missing from the standard engines listing that it will be phased out and not included in new 1.5+ installations.  

They do mention in the readme that: "old parts hidden but still included for continuity of saves. They will be deprecated at a later date"

While that time hasn't come yet, keeping a backup of any post-1.4.0 replaced parts won't hurt.

2 hours ago, Atkara said:

They do mention in the readme that: "old parts hidden but still included for continuity of saves. They will be deprecated at a later date"

While that time hasn't come yet, keeping a backup of any post-1.4.0 replaced parts won't hurt.

Well that's messed up then... 

Me keeping backups isn't going to matter for squat when someone who just installed v1.6 doesn't have the parts listed to play one of my missions.

Any Mission Builder missions that people have created that contain craft using those parts are now also deprecated, and there's no reason for it!  If they continue down this path, updating various parts that are in use in mission files, they will continue to break missions for no reason.

It was different before a tool was in play that relied on part continuity.  

@SQUAD  This is the wrong approach! 

Either add the new parts and keep the old ones, or just reskin/redo the parts and keep their instance names the same.

Edited by XLjedi

Would it be possible to go into the .sfs file and replace the old parts with the new ones on ships? I’ve got a few craft in flight that I’d like to keep after the old parts are deprecated, but it would be impractical to completely replace all of them.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Would it be possible to go into the .sfs file and replace the old parts with the new ones on ships? I’ve got a few craft in flight that I’d like to keep after the old parts are deprecated, but it would be impractical to completely replace all of them.

The parts are still there.  I doubt they will get rid of them totally.  KSP is getting close to where its not piratical to keep updating it.    As long as they remain in the parts list, your ships will be safe now, and for the foreseeable future.  And if not a modder will make it happen.. Another 4 years down the road if your worried about it too much.

1 hour ago, malkuth said:

The parts are still there.  I doubt they will get rid of them totally.  KSP is getting close to where its not piratical to keep updating it.    As long as they remain in the parts list, your ships will be safe now, and for the foreseeable future.  And if not a modder will make it happen.. Another 4 years down the road if your worried about it too much.

Valid point... if 4yrs from now I'm still playin the game, that would be an impressive accomplishment.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.