What Happend with the demo?

WanbasRibas

I was planning to buy the game this year but then i remember that the game had a demo,so i search in google ksp demo for testing the game before buying it.

but i found nothing just the ksp web with UNDER MAINTENCE in the page.

So i have some questions:

Is the demo deleted?

If not when is the back of the demo?

So that is my questions.

PS:sorry for the bad english im not from america.

Sadly, the demo version that we had available until recently is based on a really old and outdated version of KSP. Because of this, we no longer feel it really is a good measure for people to know how well their machine will handle it, or how much they like the game. That’s why we’re currently working on a new demo, based on the most recent version of KSP. We don’t have a release ETA for this yet, unfortunately.

On 10/19/2018 at 12:36 PM, Darth Badie said:

Sadly, the demo version that we had available until recently is based on a really old and outdated version of KSP. Because of this, we no longer feel it really is a good measure for people to know how well their machine will handle it, or how much they like the game. That’s why we’re currently working on a new demo, based on the most recent version of KSP. We don’t have a release ETA for this yet, unfortunately.

I think it's really too bad the old demo couldn't have been left up behind a wall of disclaimers etc. describing what you just mentioned, until the replacement was ready.  (On the principle of "something is better than nothing.")  But I appreciate the explanation. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:36 PM, Darth Badie said:

I have an idea for the demo: Stock 1.3.1, but it's only Kerbin, the Mun, Minmus, and Eve. First impressions:

Holy cow! I got to another planet! Now to try to get off! 

(An hour later) I'll just learn my lesson and never go to Eve when I get the full version! 

Boom, demo done.

What about...

All stock parts, no mods allowed, and the entire Kerbol system is there, but if you leave Kerbin's SOI, a message stops you and tells you that you can't go there in the demo. Also, no career or science mode, with labels that they are in the full version, and no Alt+F12 menu or settings tweaking.

Also, make some other stuff crummy, like limit part count.

I was gonna suggest no time warp, but that's just :retrograde:.

It's still available on places like softonic, and other free download sites.

https://kerbal-space-program.en.softonic.com/ (Yes it's safe, DL'ed it myself and ran every virus checker known to man on it.)

Pretty sure I've got a copy saved on my computer as well, not sure what the legality of distributing it would be?

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2018 at 3:26 PM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

It's still available on places like softonic, and other free download sites.

https://kerbal-space-program.en.softonic.com/ (Yes it's safe, DL'ed it myself and ran every virus checker known to man on it.)

Pretty sure I've got a copy saved on my computer as well, not sure what the legality of distributing it would be?

I thought Softonic is full of spyware and other junk?

On 10/21/2018 at 1:22 PM, WanbasRibas said:

I dont know if u could but if yes send me a link of the copy of ur computer.

because softonic is too slow (probably trying to save servers) so if u can do that for me it will be nice (if is not illegal of course).

I'll have to wait till I can find out the legality of it.

If you'd like to contact support and find out you could.

That said, I'd have to upload it somewhere for you to download it, like Dropbox; I'm honestly not sure it'll be any faster than Softonic or similar sites.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I'll have to wait till I can find out the legality of it.

If you'd like to contact support and find out you could.

That said, I'd have to upload it somewhere for you to download it, like Dropbox; I'm honestly not sure it'll be any faster than Softonic or similar sites.

Actually....I BUYED THE GAME

I played the softonic version (always with my anti-virus on ;) ) and its is BAD.

-The game is laggy

-you can't build planes

-very limited options of rocket parts

-can't do science or carrer mode

-mods dont work

-and is VERY VERY old

so a week passed and i had money enough to buy the game so

i asked my dad for the credit card and payed him (im only 17 i still need to live with my dads)

and i LOVED IT

but thanks everyone for helping me (i will probally lock the topic just need to know how).

but thats it i buyed the game.

On 10/21/2018 at 9:42 AM, Kernel Kraken said:

I have an idea for the demo: Stock 1.3.1, but it's only Kerbin, the Mun, Minmus, and Eve. First impressions:

Considering it is said that the vast majority of players never leave Kerbin's SOI, I'm not sure this would be a demo, but an almost full version. 

I'd say limit it to sandbox, no mods, 1.875m-ish parts, and a whole bunch of nag screens that prevent you from playing if you try to leave Kerbin's SOI (Including entering the Mun's or Minmus's).  It'll let you get comfortable building rockets, orbiting, rendezvous and even docking.  But you would be hard pressed to build anything bigger like a decent station, and you can't go anywhere but kerbin.   Limit time warp to 50x.  Nag Screens abound after each scene change too.   

Edited by Gargamel

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Considering it is said that the vast majority of players never leave Kerbin's SOI, I'm not sure this would be a demo, but an almost full version. 

I'd say limit it to sandbox, no mods, 1.875m-ish parts, and a whole bunch of nag screens that prevent you from playing if you try to leave Kerbin's SOI (Including entering the Mun's or Minmus's).  It'll let you get comfortable building rockets, orbiting, rendezvous and even docking.  But you would be hard pressed to build anything bigger like a decent station, and you can't go anywhere but kerbin.   Limit time warp to 50x.  Nag Screens abound after each scene change too.   

Include Mun and possibly Minmus, but restrict major part selection to the FLT 1, 2 and 4 tanks, little solar panels, mini docking ports and the Terrier/LV-T45. Sandbox only. Struts, clamps, radial parachutes and maybe the OKTO core with Z-100 batteries

Edited by SiriusRocketry

How about this: full parts access up to Mainsail level, and little or no nagging, but you get to make exactly one successful Mun/Minmus landing (defined as contacting the ground at less than 5 or 10m/s), then after five minutes or something the demo congratulates you and asks you to buy the game now that you've done enough to get an idea of what the full game will be like.  

If people want to exploit with fast landings or reinstalling the demo, let 'em.  Pirates gonna pirate.  

On 11/1/2018 at 6:39 PM, Gargamel said:

I am totally and completely against any kind of nag screens- dosent matter what I'm doing, if I get one, I delete whatever it's from.

5 hours ago, FinalFan said:

How about this: full parts access up to Mainsail level, and little or no nagging, but you get to make exactly one successful Mun/Minmus landing (defined as contacting the ground at less than 5 or 10m/s), then after five minutes or something the demo congratulates you and asks you to buy the game now that you've done enough to get an idea of what the full game will be like.  

My first contact with KSP was with the 1.0 Demo.

1.0 rocket pars (no planes), VAB only, Kerbol, Kerbin and Mun. And all the rest of the game working as "stock", including cheats. Obviously, no add-ons.

Lots of fun. I spent the whole last November playing on it. In December, I bought it.

I think a 1.4 update under the same features would do very fine.

I remember the old demo, the one based on 0.8, was it? Just Kerbin and the Mun, and only 1.25m parts. I played that for ages, trying to land on the Mun and make it back to Kerbin safely. Of course, having no understanding of orbital mechanics at that point, I ended up with an insanely over-engineered vehicle. I think it was 30 Hammers on the first stage, and then another stage of 27, followed by a couple of huge liquid stages.

I'm so glad I got hooked on this game. It really helped me focus on what I wanted to do with my life, as well as teaching me about a whole bunch of physics. As an Aeronautical Engineering student now, I credit this game with fostering my passion for design, engineering, maths, and physics.

Just now, CommanderSmith said:

I remember the old demo, the one based on 0.8, was it? Just Kerbin and the Mun, and only 1.25m parts. I played that for ages, trying to land on the Mun and make it back to Kerbin safely. Of course, having no understanding of orbital mechanics at that point, I ended up with an insanely over-engineered vehicle. I think it was 30 Hammers on the first stage, and then another stage of 27, followed by a couple of huge liquid stages.

I'm so glad I got hooked on this game. It really helped me focus on what I wanted to do with my life, as well as teaching me about a whole bunch of physics. As an Aeronautical Engineering student now, I credit this game with fostering my passion for design, engineering, maths, and physics.

I remember this because it was my first experience with KSP.

While we're suggesting demos:

Sandbox only but all buildings lowest tier with no option to upgrade them. Minmus doesn't exist and while the other planets do, you are not allowed to leave Kerbin's SOI. Mun's still there.

That last one is because Mun was in the previous demo and returning from it was my own personal goal before justifying buying the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.