Rovers Exploding

There is a particularly infuriating bug I've encountered when using rovers.

Flashback Time!

I've built a rover in KSP Xbox One Enhanced Edition.

I deploy the rover on the runway and drive around.

When I'm done, I send it to my Mun Base.

Theodas Kerman drives around, making crazy jumps, etc.

When I'm done, I click on the option "Leave Seat" on Theo's menu.

Theo leaves the seat, and BAM!

The rover flails around, some parts explode, and Theo is thrown violently in a random direction.

Arrrrrrrghhhh!!!!

This bug never is a problem on Kerbin, though when I drive rovers there, the Kerbal often faceplants in the ground nearby.

This bug seriously limits rover design. I think it's a problem with the command seat.

Can anyone help?

One thing I may not have mentioned: this bug isn't exclusive to rovers. I believe it's the command chair itself, as I did mention. I made one of the wonderful "Cute Kerbal Runabouts," created by Ruben of Kerbal Space Command*, and the same thing happened when the Kerbal disembarked the seat.

*The link is here: 

Thanks again Ruben for your terrific videos!

But yeah, I don't understand where this bug came from. It seems exclusive to Xbox One Enhanced Edition.

In career mode you may be trying to preserve your ability to get trophies, which means you can't activate the debug menu. But if not, you can try going into debug mode and turning up the gravity just before you dismount from the chair -- since the explosion problem doesn't happen on Kerbin, and that's the main difference with Kerbin.

Yeah, I've tried the debug menu. It may fix the issue for rovers, but the Kerbal still goes all ragdoll on me, which means I can't toggle RCS or SAS for him/her. I only regain control once the Kerbal stands up. This is still a real issue when disembarking seats in space, as there is nothing for the Kerbal to stand on and regain their balance, so they tumble limply away from the spacecraft. It might be a bug in 1.2, because console is currently running that version.

The part cfg file for the external command seat has a variable that tells it how far in what direction the kerbal is 'ejected' when getting out. Why a kerbal needs to be ejected in any direction at all is a bit of a mystery, but there you have it. You can try tweaking these values until you get a more sensible behaviour for your craft.

You can find the part cfg file at <KSP main dir>/GameData/Squad/Parts/Command/externalCommandSeat/externalCommandSeat.cfg.

Search for ejectDirection = 0.0, 0.1, 0.1 - those are the values you can play with.

Make backups, use ModuleManager, beware of rabid dogs, all usual disclaimers apply.

38 minutes ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

How do I change these config files for console?

I am not a console user, I don't know. Do consoles these days allow access to the game files somehow? If not, then you can't use this workaround.

Your only avenue then would be to submit a bug report and see if they decide to fix it - they did just mention they are again looking into another update to the console versions, so now would be the time to create bug reports.

37 minutes ago, Jebediah Kerman Jr. said:

How exactly to submit a bug report?

You need to register an account at https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/projects/ksp/issues to do that. You can search the issue list to see if anyone else has reported the bug before, and if not, you can create a new one.

A more detailed explanation of how to report and what details to add can be found in the bug report thread:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.