Kerbal falling off airlock - solved

Another day another problem, this time with airlocks.

I've made a pod which includes an airlock object, but kerbals react unexpectedly when using it. They can EVA via it, and the correct Climb and Board HUD text appears when they are next to it, however they do not stay attached to it, either when climbing or when EVAing from within it.

When they EVA, they simple fall to the ground as if not holding on to it, and when climbing from ground level, they make an initial step up onto it, but then fall down again.

To put this together I was following the information provided here.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Here's some images of the pod contents in Unity.

Airlock object selected.

YYyv9JU.jpg

Airlock and pod collider.

qiLQlJA.jpg

Edited by purpleivan

5 hours ago, Skalou said:

Uour pod looks nice ! 
I think you need an airlock AND a ladder if you want your kerbal grab something :wink:
You can search for ladder in this thread.

I had a ladded underneath the airlock initially, but that wasn't working either. I removed it un case the airlock acted as a ladder and the two were conflicting in some way. I didn't think it likely, but it was something to try.

I'll reinstate the ladder and try adjusting it's location to unclude the height of the airlock, rather than being just below it.

I've been looking at the Mod Development Links thread for a while. Some useful stuff there, although it's a shame that a lot of them are dead links.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thought I should post that I found the solution, with help from @wasml and @Poodmund which was incorrect placement of my ladder and airlock objects in Unity.

I'd misread some information and made an incorrect assumption about how the attachement of kerbals too these work. The key in my case was to place the origin of the ladder and airlock objects, where the kerbal using them would be placed (i.e. a small distance off the surface of my pod) rather than just inside the collider for the pod.

Here's an example of correct ladder placement from the Porkjet parts overhaul.

iHfRYDT.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.