The Explosions.

I may be the only one thinking this, but I do not like the current explosions. They look more like puffs of dust than explosions- and theirs no debris or anything afterwords. I think it would be cool if there was a option to use the old explosions, or at least add some kind of flame effects and heating from explosions. Anyone else have any thoughts?

There's this: 

It has minor issues but it's running on 1.5. It changes the game in that parts don't just go "puff" anymore, they will deform and lose efficiency before they get bad enough that they go "puff". It is something, a step in the right direction.

And then there's this: 

Which is another step in the right direction as it modifies the explosion power and effects on parts explosions based on the resources they contain.

But, honestly, I would rather see new engine and plume effects be stock before explosions.

Edited by BadLeo

10 hours ago, BadLeo said:

There's this: 

It has minor issues but it's running on 1.5. It changes the game in that parts don't just go "puff" anymore, they will deform and lose efficiency before they get bad enough that they go "puff". It is something, a step in the right direction.

And then there's this: 

Which is another step in the right direction as it modifies the explosion power and effects on parts explosions based on the resources they contain.

But, honestly, I would rather see new engine and plume effects be stock before explosions.

Ooh, thanks! I too feel like better particle effects should be added in general, it's just that I see explosions more often than I see engine effects.

I should probably work on that.

I thought part of what determined how the engine explosion actually happened was if there is fuel or something inside the part. Like a wing would go poof, but a fuel tank loaded with LF and Ox would make a nice fiery bang. I think the decision to do this was something like "hey if a board of aluminum hits the ground, what would catch fire to make it go bang?"

Could be wrong. Also, on the subject of debris - that means more parts and physics to model. Which on weaker systems could be more stressful and cause even more slideshows. That could probably be fixed by having an option for that though maybe.

47 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I thought part of what determined how the engine explosion actually happened was if there is fuel or something inside the part. Like a wing would go poof, but a fuel tank loaded with LF and Ox would make a nice fiery bang. I think the decision to do this was something like "hey if a board of aluminum hits the ground, what would catch fire to make it go bang?"

Could be wrong. Also, on the subject of debris - that means more parts and physics to model. Which on weaker systems could be more stressful and cause even more slideshows. That could probably be fixed by having an option for that though maybe.

That reminds me that there's even a mod that adds spark trails and other effects on crashes, but I can't recall its name to post here.

About the performance, though, I believe it relates more with part count than anything else, provided the system is running fine with the graphic settings of choice. If you crash a 1000 parts craft, it'll drop some frames anyway, firework effects notwithstanding. Furthermore, they would probably make the crash debris non-persistent objects just like the fairings pieces. But, yeah, some adjustments and compromises would have to be made on lower settings.

On 10/21/2018 at 4:00 PM, Kernel Kraken said:

I may be the only one thinking this, but I do not like the current explosions. They look more like puffs of dust than explosions- and theirs no debris or anything afterwords. I think it would be cool if there was a option to use the old explosions, or at least add some kind of flame effects and heating from explosions. Anyone else have any thoughts?

You could try to increase the 'explosionPotential' of parts, a stock part cfg variable that governs how powerful the explosion effects are (or were, at least up to 1.3.1). See the video for the difference it makes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_zTvHSBGQ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.