Tug module design

Jonda

58 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

It sounds like your engines aren't thrusting through the center of mass.  (Reaction wheels can compensate for small imbalances, but in general you want to make sure that engines are arranged so that the net thrust is through the center of mass).

Another trick is to set your RCS for translation-only, and use SAS to keep yourself parallel to your target.

This mod will help ensure your RCS is balanced:

This is going to end up being people sharing their tug designs, and so the thread has been moved to the craft exchange subforum. For example, here's mine. 

DlKuB4y.png

Notice the forward part of thrusters on spars to be closer to the COM of the module being moved. 

If I'm not mistaken, there's a mod with adjustable arms that automatically get the CoM centered between your RCS ports.  Which one is escaping me however.

My solution (which ended up being more fun anyway) was to stick RCS ports on the payload, and then remove them with KIS/KAS on EVA after docking.

5 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

This is going to end up being people sharing their tug designs, and so the thread has been moved to the craft exchange subforum. For example, here's mine. 

DlKuB4y.png

Notice the forward part of thrusters on spars to be closer to the COM of the module being moved. 

My guy you are a genius

8 hours ago, Jonda said:

How do u make is so your sas is parallel?

@Jonda there's great tutorials on youtube by scott manley and other people who'll help you. i suggest you get the basic of the game (orbiting, rendezvous, docking and interplanetary stuff before you attempt these more complex structures. Having a good foundation of knowledge is they key to expanding to other, more complex stuff like this.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.