ZL647

Does anyone else remember when

You could survive reentry in just your space suit and as long as you landed on your helmet you would just bounce and not die?

When did they change that? I'd like to see it again for nostalgia.

• Like 2

I remember this. I exploited it often during career so I wouldn't need anything like a Mun transfer ship in LMO to get back to Kerbin. Just use my jetpack from LMO to get back to Kerbin and this would end up with lower cost rockets of the launchpad. I did was a bit more nooby back in the day because when I think back that I used it to make Mun missions cheaper I feel rather embarassed. Because seriously, who makes Mun missions actively cheaper these days?

Bouncy kerbal heads! From orbit! Everyone remembers this!

Unless you just got the game in which case I am so sorry for your loss...

EDIT: Seriously, you could deorbit a kerbal and it would stay alive if it's pack was on. If it wasn't... It turned into a ragdoll got possessed by the almighty Lord Kraken.

Edited by Kebab Kerman
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, Kebab Kerman said:

Unless you just got the game in which case I am so sorry for your loss...

I remember when each part basically only done 1 thing and landing legs were super rigid.

• Like 1

I remember when you could build SSTO VTOLs easily, spam intakes to get jet engines to work at ridiculous altitudes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dafni said:

I remember when you could build SSTO VTOLs easily, spam intakes to get jet engines to work at ridiculous altitudes.

Haha yeah. Jet engines to well over 2000 m/s at stupid altitudes 

5 hours ago, Dafni said:

*Grin* In my book about KSP I gave a design which I not only flew to space on jet but also got a periapsis over 58km doing it.  Hey, it only had 8 intakes! (And 2 tiny 'sparks' before they were called that for the <100m/s required to complete circularisation).

I sometimes miss returning from Jool in nothing more than a lander can and a parachute, straight down at 5+ km/s.

• Like 2

Even the mountains in 0.18, they just looked like these big hills in the distance and looked nothing like mountains.

I can't remember what the mountains are called, K2? I'm talking about the ones behind the KSC.

Remember when we had a Mk1 cockpit that didn't look like a mini airliner? When the only jet engines we had were the J-33 and the JX-4?

On 10/22/2018 at 10:27 PM, ZL647 said:

You could survive reentry in just your space suit and as long as you landed on your helmet you would just bounce and not die?

And then your kerbal would turn into a spazzy pile of spaghetti. 

It was silly (like funny silly, not stupid silly) not having atmospheric heating or proper drag.  You could fly the dumbest shaped objects through the atmosphere, and nothing would happen.  It was great.

Edited by Hydrothermalventclam
  • Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 5:50 PM, Bej Kerman said:

I can't remember what the mountains are called, K2? I'm talking about the ones behind the KSC.

In some KSP canon, that one is called Mt. Whoopstooshort.   

• Like 1

Last time I played a few months ago, bouncy head was still a thing. I had a kerbal survive bailing out of a trijet locomotive at 60ms, landed on his head and rolled to a stop, although I will say bailing out of trains without being in contact with 30+ wheels isnt as fun as it used to be..

On 11/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, Overland said:

Last time I played a few months ago, bouncy head was still a thing. I had a kerbal survive bailing out of a trijet locomotive at 60ms, landed on his head and rolled to a stop, although I will say bailing out of trains without being in contact with 30+ wheels isnt as fun as it used to be..

It very well could but I haven't tested it. Maybe I should air drop some Kerbals on their heads. I just know they do burn up on reentry now so you can't drop them on their heads from a direct Minmus -> Kerbin return using their EVA packs.

Edited by ZL647

I did read in the update we can put kerbals in external command seats in the SPH 

Make a kerbal-bomber with seats on the underside upside down :)

on a side note.. kerbal heads would work as landing gear maybe? 

57 minutes ago, Overland said:

I did read in the update we can put kerbals in external command seats in the SPH 

Make a kerbal-bomber with seats on the underside upside down :)

on a side note.. kerbal heads would work as landing gear maybe? 

I remember this forum kept me playing this game for years, I can't stop it, I keep coming back....

Help ?

• Like 1