[1.8.x-1.9.x] Kerbal Changelog v1.3.0 (6.14.20)

Benjamin Kerman

Hello again guys, 

I've been thinking of new things that I can add to this to benefit all of you, and I, with the help of some collaborators and friends, have come up with the following:

1. Priority options for mods (game breaking changes are listed at the top of the changelog list)
  2. To prevent high-priority spam: ignore options for mods, such as the following
    • Ignore all updates from specific mods
    • Ignore high priority updates from specific mods
    • Ignore high priority updates from all mods
  3. Ability to have direct links to webpages such as specific issues on github that are related to the change

Please let me know if you have any questions or notes about these, and respond if any of these interest you! 

In addition to this, if any modders would like to use this mod but don't have the time to write it out, I may consider writing a simple tool to scan files and extract changelogs from existing .txt or .md files. 

14 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

In addition to this, if any modders would like to use this mod but don't have the time to write it out, I may consider writing a simple tool to scan files and extract changelogs from existing .txt or .md files

I would love to see more mods using this. I was just coming here to comment.

It appears, a lot of mods don't even include change logs (a quick look, I see only about 1/3 of my installed mods have one in the GameData folder), So asking them to then take the time to write up the config file to include it in their mods, I think most wont bother or take the time. I think a tool they can use to generate the file for them is a big incentive to getting them to using it. (And maybe users asking/begging/cajoling them into using the mod.) :D  

Edited by BlackHat

On 1/13/2019 at 9:23 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

the mod is stable as far as I'm concerned, and probably won't get another release in the near future

I mean that's fine. I'm going to have to change my script at least once, whatever you do. For now I can point it at the latest release, and change it if /when you ever do another release. 

On 1/16/2019 at 8:12 PM, BlackHat said:

It appears, a lot of mods don't even include change logs

It really depends on the mod. Just using me as an example (and I use changelog) I've incorporated it into Monthly Budgets and Oh Scrap, because those mods regularly get big changes. On the other hand, I did a version bump of Kessler Syndrome and decided to not use changelog, because honestly, it's a purely maintenance release, and a changelog that basically says "no changes" is useless. 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:10 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Priority options for mods (game breaking changes are listed at the top of the changelog list)

This would be nice but not essential. I put game breaking changes at the top anyway. What would be nice though is a different colour (say red) for high priority changes, to make them stand out. One thing I noticed with oh scrap is that big change logs turn into a wall of text, and capitals didn't stand out enough. 

To prevent high-priority spam: ignore options for mods, such as the following

Very much against this. I want this so users can't ignore game breaking changes. At the end of the day, if a modder thinks its important, users need to see it. I'd be ok with "low priority" changelog hiding to be an option though. 

Ability to have direct links to webpages such as specific issues on github that are related to the change

I have no strong feelings either way she probably wouldn't use it

4 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Using me as an example (and I use changelog) I've incorporated it into Monthly Budgets and Oh Scrap, because those mods regularly get big changes. On the other hand, I did a version bump of Kessler Syndrome and decided to not use changelog, because honestly, it's a purely maintenance release, and a changelog that basically says "no changes" is useless.

On the other hand, If I do an update of a mod through CKAN, and the Changelog does not pop up saying it was just a version bumb, I would wonder what changed. And have to go to the forum, (or github, or where ever it was located) and try to see what changed there. So even a "No Changes" message is good to the users. They dont have to go looking for why there was a new version. ;) 

• 7 months later...

Hi @Benjamin Kerman,

Sorry to bug you. I don't normally bring CKAN issues to the attention of mod authors--I've personally told other KSP players to go take them to the CKAN thread. However, I thought this should be brought to your attention.  I recently came back to KSP after a several month hiatus. I was loading mods into my favorite KSP install when I noticed that one of them (Oh Scrap) didn't show up in CKAN, which surprised me as I could see it was updated and I had all the listed dependencies installed. On a hunch, I dug deeper and noted that CKAN has Kerbal Changelog as a dependency. I posted a note on the Oh Scrap thread, but I figured that, if other mods were using KC and not explicitly listing it as a dependency on their mod AND if it was listed as such on CKAN, that lazy people (like myself, obviously) might not see those mods or be able to install them on CKAN since a dependency was not showing as updated. I don't know if KC needs a simple version recompile or anything, and I am not making any requests on my behalf (I know how to fix things on my end); this is more of an FYI.

Thank you for making KSP better for everyone!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

@eightiesboi My apologies. I've been quite busy lately but I'll try to get this updated asap!

You generously share mods that you make with the community--you have no reason to apologize to me! It's members of the community like you that have made KSP the amazing game that it is.

Thank you! ☺ 

@eightiesboi @severedsolo (since you're slightly involved :P)

New release pushed, built with KSP 1.7.3 .dlls. If it happens to be borked, please let me know ASAP so I can patch it!

https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/releases/tag/v1.1.5

I updated the included .version file so it should patch itself into CKAN soon^tm(?), hopefully. 

Happy launchings!

• 1 month later...

Hey all, 

Currently in the process of building my own PC for the first time, so the update to 1.8 will be in a bit. I also need to figure out the whole situation with the new Unity and .NET versions, but I'll keep you all updated. Following the next update, there will no longer be backwards compatibility with any KSP versions, KCL will be only for KSP 1.8 due to the changes i mentioned above. 

• 1 month later...

@Benjamin Kerman

I just did a PR against this, https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/pull/4

I've been seeing messages in the log about errors in this mod, turned out to be related to another. These two checks will prevent any issues with this mod and badly formatted files from other mods:

• Added checks for missing modName
  • Added check for badly formatted version

1 hour ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

Thank you for the contribution @linuxgurugamer!

I'll get that merged in asap. 

I'll also be releasing a version for KSP 1.8.x in the coming days, things have stabilized enough on my end to be able to do that now. 

Thank you all for your patience!

Nice.  The PR I did is specifically for 1.8.  It won't hurt having it in 1.7, but is absolutely necessary for 1.8

I've released a new version of Kerbal Changelog for KSP 1.8.1.

https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/releases/tag/v1.1.6

Includes a fix by @linuxgurugamer for error checking, and fixes some logic issues which snuck in somehow.

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
fixed link

10 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

But still the version number in the folder. Well, in my personal install it's changed to

GameData\KerbalChangeLog\

My apologies, in my previous post it linked to v1.1.5, I've updated that link now, but is there a problem with the .zip file on GitHub?

Edit: Just checked the .zip on my computer, and it looks fine to me.

• 2 months later...

Kerbal Changelog has been updated to v1.1.7 for compatibility with KSP 1.9.x.

https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/releases/tag/v1.1.7

Curious about this line:

Downgrade to .NET 4.5 for compatability

Is there a problem with later .Net versions and KSP? I thought we could just use 4.x

On 2/19/2020 at 11:47 PM, severedsolo said:

Is there a problem with later .Net versions and KSP? I thought we could just use 4.x

I saw some post earlier this week about needing .NET 4.5 for KSP 1.9, but that may have been 4.5 at a minimum... Not really sure though, just did it to be safe :V

On 2/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

Thank you for it.

Sure thing, I saw a niche that I thought needed to be filled and wrote this up! Glad you like it.

On 2/21/2020 at 1:54 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

left you some ideas and suggestions on github:

I'll check those out :) Thank you!

9 minutes ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

I saw some post earlier this week about needing .NET 4.5 for KSP 1.9, but that may have been 4.5 at a minimum... Not really sure though, just did it to be safe :V

Fair enough, I just target 4.8 and so far haven't had any issues. I know using 3.5 will make it refuse to compile, but AFAIK 4.x is fine, the minor version doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, zer0Kerbal said:

I also target 4.8 - (and will keep current) without issues with 1.8.x. haven't compiled anything for 1.9, waiting for 1.9.1

Thanks for the confirmation :P

I've compiled for 1.9 just cause I know that severedsolo does Depend on it for all of their their mods, and I'll probably upgrade back to 4.7.2 or 4.8 with the next version, maybe with some hot new features ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick status update: I'm currently working on rewriting KCL to be more extendable and stable, because at the moment it's a 300 line-long blob of stupidity, and then I'll add in the features that @zer0Kerbal is requesting on GitHub (https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/issues/6). I'll hopefully have a release sometime in the next week or two, and if anyone has any more feature requests, I can take a look at those too!

300 line-long blob of stupidity

been there - done that. :D

I'll hopefully have a release sometime in the next week or two, and if anyone has any more feature requests, I can take a look at those too

excellent! thank you in advance!

Kerbal Changelog has been updated to v1.2.0 to add subchanges and other features, including a rewrite of the entire backend of the mod. Thanks to @zer0Kerbal for his feature request!

To modders: Changelogs _are_ backwards compatible (hence the version bump to 1.2.0 rather than 2.0.0). However, to utilize the new subchange feature, you must create your new changes in a different way, outlined in Issue #6, and (soon!) on this mod's GitHub wiki.

wrong version lol

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.