[1.8.x-1.9.x] Kerbal Changelog v1.3.0 (6.14.20)

Benjamin Kerman

In addition to the latest release, I have just figured out how to include some basic formatting in your changelog. Details can be found at https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/[email protected]/manual/StyledText.html

I will not be releasing this immediately, in order to include any style change requests for the in game changelog display. If no style requests come in, it will be released along with the requested .cfg->html/markdown converter also requested by zer0Kerbal.

3 hours ago, Benjamin Kerman said:

In addition to the latest release, I have just figured out how to include some basic formatting in your changelog. Details can be found at https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/[email protected]/manual/StyledText.html

I will not be releasing this immediately, in order to include any style change requests for the in game changelog display. If no style requests come in, it will be released along with the requested .cfg->html/markdown converter also requested by zer0Kerbal.

If I could just have a way to indicate breaking changes in big red letters that would be great (even if it's just a bool that prints some standard text in red at the top of the changelog when true)

Hi, I'm having an issue with the current version in both KSP-1.9.1 and KSP-1.8.1

KerbalChangelog doesn't remember that I closed the display window, and insists on showing me the changelogs over and over again.

Whether I exit KSP and launch again, or if I return to the main menu from a session, the changelog is always there again. I can't remember this happening in KSP-1.8.1, with one of KCL's previous versions. I'm going to see if I can find which version I had last installed when it worked as supposed to.

Maybe you could look into this?

1 hour ago, Corax said:

Hi, I'm having an issue with the current version in both KSP-1.9.1 and KSP-1.8.1

KerbalChangelog doesn't remember that I closed the display window, and insists on showing me the changelogs over and over again.

Whether I exit KSP and launch again, or if I return to the main menu from a session, the changelog is always there again. I can't remember this happening in KSP-1.8.1, with one of KCL's previous versions. I'm going to see if I can find which version I had last installed when it worked as supposed to.

Maybe you could look into this?

That would be a problem! Could you please follow the instructions in this thread?

This will help get us sorted out in the shortest time possible. Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Corax said:

I installed the previous version of KChangelog, 1.1.7, and the window behaves as expected.

It does work in 1.1.7. However, 1.2.0 included a large rewrite of the code base, and bug reports like these are vital to ensuring that the mod functions properly. If you could send me your KSP.log after running KCL 1.2.0, I would be able to sort out this problem for the rest of the community. Thank you!

Possibly relevant part of the log

Spoiler

[...snip...]

[LOG 16:00:20.381] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KISAddonCursor' from assembly 'KIS'
[LOG 16:00:20.382] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'MainScreenTweaker' from assembly 'KIS'
[LOG 16:00:20.383] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'FMRS_Main_Menu' from assembly 'SlingShotter'
[LOG 16:00:20.386] windowPos loaded from file
[LOG 16:00:20.392] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'ChangelogController' from assembly 'KerbalChangelog'
[LOG 16:00:20.398] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'TRActivator' from assembly 'TextureReplacer'
[LOG 16:00:20.399] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KerbalAlarmClockTextureLoader' from assembly 'KerbalAlarmClock'
[LOG 16:00:20.399] 3/7/2020 4:00:20 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loading Textures
[LOG 16:00:20.408] 3/7/2020 4:00:20 PM,KerbalAlarmClock,Loaded Textures
[LOG 16:00:20.411] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KACEventHandler' from assembly 'kOS'
[LOG 16:00:20.412] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KerbalismCoreSystems' from assembly 'Kerbalism18'
[LOG 16:00:20.427] [UIMasterController]: ShowUI
[LOG 16:00:21.462] [KCL] Starting up
[LOG 16:00:21.462] [KCL] Loading changelogs...
[LOG 16:00:21.463] [KCL] malformed version string: 3.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.463] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.2 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.463] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.1 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.463] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.464] [KCL] malformed version string: 3.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.464] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.464] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.465] [KCL] malformed version string: 2.0 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.465] [KCL] malformed version string: 1.7 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.465] [KCL] malformed version string: 1.6 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.465] [KCL] malformed version string: 1.5 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[LOG 16:00:21.465] [KCL] malformed version string: 1.4 in directory UrlDir+UrlConfig
[ERR 16:00:21.468] Material doesn't have a texture property '_BumpMap'

[...snip...]

Kerbal Changelog v1.2.1 has been released for KSP 1.9.1.

This version introduces styling in changelogs, see GitHub issue #6 for more information on how to utilize it!

This version also fixes a bug found by @Corax where changelogs would be displayed when they weren't supposed to be. Thank you!

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
insert link

• 3 months later...

Working on a new release of KCL with some changes suggested by @zer0Kerbal and "mwerle" on GitHub (that I accidentally missed for some reason :/)

These are issues 13-15 on the GitHub page: https://github.com/BenjaminCronin/KerbalChangelog/issues/15 , and I'll probably take a look at implementing some of the other enhancements listed there as well.

If anyone else has other suggestions or wants to see some other stuff added, feel free to throw it up on the issues page or drop a note here.

Kerbal Changelog v1.3.0 has been released for KSP 1.9.1.

New Features

• Add change-type grouping (mwerle)
  • Add visit website button (mwerle)
  • Add version date and KSP version fields (zer0Kerbal)

Changes

• High priority changes (indicated by the type field) are now located at the top of the changelog, regardless of their location in the config file.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:52 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Kerbal Changelog v1.3.0 has been released for KSP 1.9.1.

New Features

• Add change-type grouping (mwerle)
  • Add visit website button (mwerle)
  • Add version date and KSP version fields (zer0Kerbal)

Changes

• High priority changes (indicated by the type field) are now located at the top of the changelog, regardless of their location in the config file.

Documentation of the new features would be nice.  Also of the formatting ability, the README.md doesn't list either of them

How does one add styling?

Are you aware that your released code seems to be from the develop branch on github?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I dug through your code to figure out the "type =", and in my test set one of my changes to:

type = HighPriority

it didn't list that change at the top, but it did say HighPriority when displaying it.

Using ChangeLog 1.3 installed by CKAN on a 1.9.1 system, with this change log:

Spoiler

KERBALCHANGELOG
{
	showChangelog = True //optional but strongly recommended (will be created if non-existant)
	modName = Click Through Blocker //required
	license = Lesser GPLv3
	author = Linuxgurugamer

VERSION
	{
		version = 1.0.10.3
		CHANGE
		{
			change = Minimod Input Locks 
			type = update
			subchange = Added MiniMod to clear input locks via toolbar button, right-click brings up window
			subchange = Added one-time popup window 
			subchange = Added ToolbarController as a dependency
		}
	}
	VERSION
	{
		version = 1.0.10.2
		CHANGE
		{
			change = Initial Focus Follows Click and other optimizations
			type = update
			subchange = Removed need to save window rect
			subchange = Added Focus Follows Click mode
			subchange = Reorganized code a bit
			subchange = Removed some unnecessary assignments
			subchange = Added stock settings page to support the FocusFollowsClick mode		
		}
	}
	VERSION
	{
		version = 1.0.10.1
		CHANGE
		{
			change = Minor optimizations
			type = update
			subchange = Modified the CBTMonitor to not run in any scene other than the editor
			subchange = Fixed window data not getting cleared properly
		}
	}
	VERSION
	{
		version = 1.0.10
		CHANGE
		{
			change = Initial commit for Focus Follows Click
			type = HighPriority 
			subchange = Added Settings page 
			subchange = Added new setting to specify Focus follows Click
			subchange = Added code to have the focus follow the click instead of the mouse, for both editor and flight modes
		}
	}
}

Result:

Spoiler

RnhHpQH.png

Found a bug:  If a user is using the mod QuickStart (from Malah's Quick Mods), the change log shows briefly, then is closed without any user intervention.  So if someone isn't watching their screen like a hawk, they can miss the changelogs.

Not sure what the best answer would be to solve, either stop the quick-start (contact me for help with that) or keep it up until the user closes it 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 5 months later...

@Benjamin Kerman

In the case you missed it, there is PR by LGG in the github.

I tried a simple set up without the CHANGE{} node

VERSION
{
	version = 3.0.2
	change = first
	change = second
}

but it is marked as HighPriority, that probably is a bag.

I think it could be useful to support synonyms for the version and the change field (v and c, or even asterisk (*) if MM will grasp that)

VERSION
{
	v = 3.0.2
	* = first
	* = second
}

And parsing any not VERSION node on the second level after the KERBALCHANGELOG as a title of the version

{
	* = first
	* = second
}

will make it even simpler.

Edited by flart

• 2 months later...

So I just started using the mod again... Really appreciate it. ;)

Just one little QoL request, however, if its not too hard to do... And I apologize if its been mentioned before.
Any chance to get a settings button added, for allowing switching between Unity and solid KSP skins?

I find it inda hard to read, with the current transparent Unity skin.

https://imgur.com/E05iFaP

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

@Benjamin Kerman and @linuxgurugamer, I'm thinking about adopting this nice bit of modding infrastructure. Any objections?

If you do end up adopting it, can you give me a ping in the new thread (assuming there is one) - as this is critical infrastructure to me, and I keep an eye on the thread

2 hours ago, severedsolo said:

If you do end up adopting it, can you give me a ping in the new thread (assuming there is one) - as this is critical infrastructure to me, and I keep an eye on the thread

Yup, will do. The fact that some mods depend on this one is one of my motivations for wanting to keep it updated.

On 3/6/2020 at 3:53 AM, severedsolo said:

If I could just have a way to indicate breaking changes in big red letters that would be great

On 6/20/2020 at 8:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

How does one add styling?

Looks like this is done with standard Unity syntax:   <color=#ff0000><b>Breaking change!</b></color>

KCGABPB.png   ajqrihc.png

Edited by HebaruSan

Adoption in progress; consider this a pre-release. I'll hold off on starting a new thread or switching CKAN to this fork for a little while yet to give @Benjamin Kerman more time to respond and to give any interested parties a chance to report bugs:

It addresses most of the requests I was able to find plus a few things I noticed myself:

• Use the KSP skin (with a Skin button in the upper right to switch back), as per @Stone Blue
  • Borrow @linuxgurugamer's fix for QuickStart compatibility
  • Don't label untyped changes as High Priority, add Performance type, fix spelling of Deprecate (my former PR)
  • README now explains the formatting syntax
  • Marked compatible with KSP 1.9–1.11 (though only tested on 1.11)
  • Add an option to show the mod listing overview page by default when there are multiple changelogs to read, as per @TranceaddicT's issue on GitHub
  • General overhaul of the text formatting to aid browsing with more visual hierarchy

@flart's syntax suggestions are not made, because I think it's better to stick to normal .cfg syntax here.

Edited by HebaruSan

heh.. you know, I never noticed, so I dont know who added it, but wow... the button to directly go to the mod's forum thread, is a galaxy-brain idea...
Too bad its not a standard practice... :P

Thank you for adding the alternate skin, @HebaruSan

idk if its asing too much, or if you already have thoughts about it, but moar options to customize the UI? vOv
ie adjustable window size, but moar-so adjustable font-size & color options?

I know the green is standard KSP color... but that whole wall of it, kinda burns my eyes... also, mebbe breaing up the colors a bit?.. ie have the version numbers/headers a different color from the actual items in the changelog? vOv :P
Also, since i am on laptop,  the largest I can go with resolution, is 1920x1080... so currently, the text size is a little smol vOv

Also, is there currently a way to open the UI, other than only when it detects a new change?
ie adding a key combo/button/tiny UI to show during the loading screen, and/or mebbe a way to re-open the UI in-game?
in case peeps want to review changelogs again?
also, i dont have any other mods installed that support it, so I cant tell how it displays changes from multiple mods, but however it gets and displays that info, would it be out of scope, and too much for it to output combined changelogs, into one text file somewhere?
I now many mods already pacage seperate changelog files, so if someone wanted a changelog for a specific mod, they could root thru and open those individual files, but would kinda be nice, if this mod added all the installed mods changelogs into one, easily accessable text file, and mebbe even had a button open it, or mebbe a slectable list of mods, to open the logs for specific mods?... vOv
And if saving a combined changelog text file is something you would consider adding, might I suggest using <KSP_install_folder>\Logs\ as the location?
It seems many mods save logs there already.. ie ModuleManager, KSP-AVC, Kopernicus, etc...

But, still, very nice job, and I thank both you and @Benjamin Kerman for this mod... i hope it starts to get wider use

Edited by Stone Blue

5 hours ago, flart said:

Another suggestion is showing changelog as is:

KERBALCHANGELOG
{
     showChangelog = True
     path = relative/path/to/changelog
}

for mods which already have changelog in the text (or .md) format
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/yalov/KVASS/master/ChangeLog.md

I will not be attempting this, for many reasons. First, what initially drew me to this mod was that it created a standard shared format for this data, and this suggestion would wreck that, as well as obstructing possible future enhancements that take advantage of having structured data, such as only showing the latest version. Second, it would create visual inconsistency from mod to mod, which would make the user experience worse. Third, it would require embedding parsers for each of the supported formats into the mod to convert the contents of the files into Unity richText format, which would be a maintenance nightmare (I have zero interest in reading bug reports about "##" and "------" and "<span style=''>" not looking right, or demands for more parsers).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.