So what's up with joystick support? (Linux)

Judging by what I see, this problem exists for quite an amount of time and is still not fixed. Joysticks are not recognized, or maybe are recognized but are not configurable... many different cases.

Did devs give comments on that? Is that KSP or Unity fault? Do I have to wait for the fix patiently or maybe it's better to throw out my gamepad and use mouse like in the good old times?

3 hours ago, Geonovast said:

The workaround for now is this:

I believe it was a Unity thing, as joysticks worked just fine for me on Mint in 1.3.1.

Tried that, hangs on "loading..." when I enter flight mode from tracking station.

(upd: SDL_DYNAMIC_API fixes that but then it turns out that the game won't launch at all because of some weird regression in unity3d https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-crash-in-unityengine-dot-input-dot-getjoysticknames-when-controllers-with-comma-in-name-are-plugged-in ; i guess i'll just stick with mouse until next version of ksp)

Edited by tsmx
upd

I would take the issue to the AFBW thread itself, LRR may be able to get you working.  I'll also play with it when I get home and see if I can get it to go.  I haven't actually tried the mod yet, last time I used a joystick was 1.3.1.  The lack of joystick support for 1.4.x was one of the reasonsI stayed with 1.3.1 for so long.

I think it might be something on your end.  I did a fresh install of 1.5.1.  Installed the two dependencies along with AFBW, which are Click Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller.

Did the:

sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0

Which apparently wasn't needed, as it's already installed on my system.  Linux Mint 18.3/MATE.

Jumped into a game and it seems to be working normally, even though KSP itself wouldn't see the joystick in its settings.

Edit: Throttle is being funky but I managed to get the right calibration to get to it work... I think.

Also, holy cow, it can link buttons to SAS modes.  I've wanted that for freaking forever!

Edited by Geonovast

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2018 at 8:09 PM, tsmx said:

Tried that, hangs on "loading..." when I enter flight mode from tracking station.

(upd: SDL_DYNAMIC_API fixes that but then it turns out that the game won't launch at all because of some weird regression in unity3d https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/linux-crash-in-unityengine-dot-input-dot-getjoysticknames-when-controllers-with-comma-in-name-are-plugged-in ; i guess i'll just stick with mouse until next version of ksp)

It seems to work if you unplug your controller while starting KSP (and in the settings menu), but re-connect it once the game is loaded. I need to test this further. Haven't played any KSP in quite some time because I made the mistake of buying Rimworld...

I haven't played KSP in a year but I felt like getting back into it. Fresh install of 1.5.1 today. The game  crashes on launch, before the main menu is even displayed, if my Thrustmaster HOTAS is plugged in. Otherwise it works great, must be all that RAM I added since the last time I played, but I really liked using my joystick to fly.

If I start the game and then plug in the joystick, it doesn't show up. I tried installing AFBW but it doesn't even show up on the toolbar! Not impressed.

Edit: My mistake! It only shows up on the toolbar after you launch. The rocket that is, not the game. Works perfectly. Just don't have the joystick plugged in before you launch the game!

Edited by rectifier

• 2 weeks later...

nevermind everyone, i've just changed the name of my joystick to something that doesn't contain buggy symbols
afbw werks as expected

it isn't as convenient as i thought it would be
i think i'll continue using keyboard

Edited by tsmx

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.